Ritchey Vector Saddle Saddle

3.32/5 (41 Reviews)

Ritchey Vector Saddle

Submitted by Mortiss a Weekend Warrior from Nottinghamshire

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    The saddle is slippy and I've never felt in control of the bike. I keep sliding around.
Uncomfortable
Poor adjustment

Bottom Line:
This is by a very large margin the worst saddle I have ever ridden on. I have even tried wearing two pairs of cycling shorts! If I ride for longer than an hour my a$$ is so bruised that I cant ride for days.
I have tried adjusting it every which way but it remains uncomfortable. The saddle is slipery and I have never felt in control of the bike.
Dont buy this saddle and if it comes stock on a bike get it changed before you walk out the shop.

Favorite Trail:   anything technical with a lot of up and down

Similar Products Used:   Many other saddles

Bike Setup:   Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27 Stock with Shimano M520 Pedals and soon a new saddle

Submitted by The Dig a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    Yet to find any, other than it was inexpensive

Weaknesses:    i rarely post a review but i was so displeased by this saddle i thought i'd try to save the next guy from buying this p.o.c.

it's definitely the most uncomfortable saddle i've ever sat on, no width support, it's about as comfortable as sitting on my top tube.

Bottom Line:
i tried to save a buck, thought this might be a good deal and i learned a lesson. Seems like a few other people have been ok with this thing but i found it incredibly uncomfortable.

Purchased At:   15.00

Similar Products Used:   sdg - from now on i'll stick with what i know

Bike Setup:   FS setup

Submitted by Aquakitty a Cross Country Rider from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2004

Strengths:    Light, easy to maneuver around saddle. Took 2 years of hard riding to fall apart.

Weaknesses:    Always felt more like a wedge up my rear then a seat.

Bottom Line:
I bought this saddle originally because the stock saddle was horrible (One of those super narrow former racing saddles).
At first I thought it was alright, since the other saddles I tried out caused my butt to explode in pain instantly. However, after I ride for about an hour on steep hills sitting, my butt just never gets used to this thing. I always have pain in my rear and have yet to find a saddle that is comfortable (I dont know if this is a female anatomy thing) but this one ain't it. Not the worst, definitely not the best from my end. I at least would not recommend it to people who find traditional saddles uncomfortable as this one falls into that category.
Its good as a basic light saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Single/Double track

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Submitted by Evan a Cross Country Rider from St. Paul

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    Very comfortable, for long distance or rough trails. Cushy all over...no hard or soft spots. Bought as part of a custom built bike so price is unknown.

Weaknesses:    n.a.

Bottom Line:
Probably will buy one for the wife :-)

Purchased At:   Sunset Cycles

Submitted by InsaneDude a Weekend Warrior from Corvallis

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    cheap, reliable

Weaknesses:    not enough padding and the front is angled too much as a result it gives you a bad case of numb nuts on long rides

Bottom Line:
I rode on this saddle from Seattle to Portland and that gave me a lot of time to thoroughly test it. Bottom line it's great for half day mountain bike rides and your regular trips to the store, but for 200 mile rides... don't even go there. Also another problem that I've found is on hot days the leather heats up and stains your ass. The stains wash away, but it's rather annoying. Heck for $15 its an awsome saddle!

Similar Products Used:   couple of decent Avocet's and a $5 Tioga

Bike Setup:   Mongoose DX 10.9 frame, XT, mavic rims,king headset, ...

Submitted by Fruitysnacks a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2001

Strengths:    Slim profile, fairly light and comfy on short runs.

Weaknesses:    Not comfy on long runs.

Bottom Line:
This saddle fits my behind perfectly. It is however, a little painful after 2-3 hours of riding. I think it's because there isn't enough padding for long trips. It's a great saddle if it fits you and you don't sit on it a lot. My next one will definitely be a Flite Gel. 5 value chilis because I got it cheaply, 4 overall because it's not comfy for long rides.

Purchased At:   Bankrupted dot com web site

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar LE w/ goodies.

Submitted by Rich Otto a Cross Country Rider from Lombard, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2001

Strengths:    This saddle is much more comfortable than the stock one I had (Selle San Marco Gel). It even looks better and you can't beat the price ($15).

Weaknesses:    there are nicer looking saddles, but you'll probably pay 2 or 3 times as much for them.

Bottom Line:
I wish I would have bought this saddle years ago. I would have ridden alot more. The stock seat killed my butt. I'd reccomend this saddle to anyone that doesn't have $50 bucks to spend on a seat.

Favorite Trail:   still looking for a good one

Similar Products Used:   Selle San Marco Gel

Bike Setup:   1996 Performance M605 (full chromoly frame and all Alivio components)

Submitted by Chet Burdette a Cross Country Rider from Charleston, WV

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Strengths:    I got the WCS with Ti rails and it weighs only 240g. Very light and equally comfortable. Cool plain black leather covering. (no gay ass stitching - Like WTB & Flite saddles)

Weaknesses:    Can't make me ride faster ;-)

Bottom Line:
This might be the best deal ever. $35 for a sweet Ti rail saddle. BTW they are still on sale for this price and I bought mine a year ago. These saddles are obviously a well kept secret.

Favorite Trail:   Ballard @ KSF

Purchased At:   Universal

Similar Products Used:   WTB GT too many crappy saddles to mention.

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Burke Hollow, VT

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2000

Strengths:    comfy, inexpensive, plain

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
I ride the Vector Wing, with cro-mo rails. After breaking three ti-rail saddles of various makes, I finally resigned myself to pedestrian steel.
What a great saddle! It's comfy and it doesn't look like it belongs in the Liberace museum. I got my first one through my local shop for full $, but recently found it on Supergo.com for $15! I bought two! I'd have paid 3x that for such a great saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Kingdom Trails

Similar Products Used:   a lot of broken saddles

Bike Setup:   tricky

Submitted by SchuffleFusz SchuffleFusz from Quebec

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2000

Weaknesses:    it broke

Bottom Line:
I have the model with titatium rails, and they just broke. I weigh 160 pounds and I ride mostly in town and downhill and a bit of XC but I dont ride like a nutcase - I'm pretty cautious. Anyway the rails did not bend at all, they just snapped. The titanium rails on a Flite would never have snapped like that. I know a guy who had a Flite. He bent the rails in a crash, straightened them, and kept the saddle for another 4 years. That's good titanium, this isn't. Btw I have a hardtail, that probably doesn't help.
Another thing is that the leather on this saddle really doesn't like mud. The sandpaper effect that a muddy ass has on a saddle made the leather lose it's shine and colour. That happened after the first muddy ride but it never got worse.
I got an extremely good price on it, I would not have bought it otherwise.

Favorite Trail:   La Speciale Bucal

Submitted by M@ Forys a Cross Country Rider from Austria

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Strengths:    rather cheap, light

Weaknesses:    hard, unconfortable on longer tours

Bottom Line:
if you don´t mind a hurting butt it´s o.k. At the beginning I thought that sitting on the seatpost would be more comfortable...but you´ll get used to it. For that money it´s a good buy.

Similar Products Used:   a lot of...

Bike Setup:   muddy fox, lx/xt, syncros, ritchey

Submitted by Jonny a Weekend Warrior from Newton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive...

Weaknesses:    If u sit on the edge ur male body parts can hurt reeeeeal bad.

Bottom Line:
For the money, it's extremely good. If you slide back on it, it's REAL comfy, and once in a while u gotta get up if u don't slide back, but u should be doing that if ur a mountain biker anyway.

Bike Setup:   Marin Chromoly w/ rockshox front suspension

Submitted by Tom Grasl a Racer from Brighton, MI, US

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive, durable.

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable on long rides.

Bottom Line:
I had this saddle on my MTb and thought it was alright but after putting it on my road bike I find it uncomfortable after 20+ miles. With the inherent standing when mtbing, that was probably enough time for my behind to "recover". But that just doesn't happen on the road. The seat is not painful, I just need to stand a little more frequently than I would like.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Dirt

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager FS-10 Race, Velo

Bike Setup:   Tsunada (Commuter)

Submitted by Nate a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2000

Strengths:    Excuse Me?

Weaknesses:    looks like crap, feels like crap, smells like crap, even tastes like crap.

Bottom Line:
This saddle is the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever ridden. It actually hurt to get onto my bike. After about two weeks, I decided that this was the worst saddle in mtb history. obviously, Ritchey has incredibly sadistic engineers that designed this piece of crap. This is the right saddle for you if you like to endure extreme amounts of pain for prolonged amounts of time. Even after I got off the bike, my butt was dead.

Favorite Trail:   zigzag