Performance Performance Topo Team Saddle Saddle

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Dallas (yeah, we got trails too), TX

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight (200g), cheap, doesn't suck...

Weaknesses:    Absolute minimum of saddle for comfort, but still okay, barely. Bent the rails, which wasn't okay.

Bottom Line:
Well, the rails on this bad boy bent like they were made of hangar wire, but there were extenuating circumstances.

First, I have a full suspension bike, but when I hit my chainring on a log, there's no suspension at all and the shock goes straight up the seatpost to the seat rails.

Second, the seatpost I was using was light, but didn't have a lot of seat rail support (not something I really thought about before). I think it was a Syncros 7075. I fixed that and got a Thomson Elite, which has good support.

Sending the seat back to Performance - they said they would send me another or exchange for something else after 9 months of use.

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Hill

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia SLR (like a 2x4), Koobi Enduro, etc.

Bike Setup:   Ass-kicking Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Wolfeboro, NH

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2005

Strengths:    No break in period. Light. Comfie.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
My original saddle had a peculiar lean to it after 4 years (bent rail). I replaced it with the Performance Team saddle, and I have been very happy with the choice. This is both lighter and more comfortable right out of the box. I have ridden about 500 miles on it, and this is one of those buys that I consider myself lucky on.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em.

Purchased At:   Performance (of course).

Similar Products Used:   SDG

Bike Setup:   GT avalanche, with various and sundry replacement parts.

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from Redmond, Wa, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    Ti, kevlar rails, cheap, comfy, very lightweight, lasts a long time (the last one did)

Weaknesses:    the first saddle I bought had a kevlar edge not on right, and was scuffed in a corner; don't know what that was all about, but exchanged it right away no problem

Bottom Line:
Great saddle. Does not look as light as it is (so much padding).

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mtn.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   the saddle this replaced was not padded, but was another Performance Bike Ti-railed seat which lasted around 12 years (but could not get it off the seatpost)

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 770, XTR/XT, Chris King Lp, Rhyno Lite, Specialized, Marzocci

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from DC, USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2003

Strengths:    Feels good, looks good, light weight, durable.

Weaknesses:    No fancy italian name.

Bottom Line:
There are actually very few sub-250g ti-railed saddles out there that have Kevlar edges. This is the cheapest, and one of the best. It made me realize how bad my last saddle was. So if you want a racing-weight saddle that can actually take a hit, look no further.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized ProLong Revolution Carbon (ugh)

Bike Setup:   FSR, stock alloy seatpost.

Submitted by myooz a Weekend Warrior from Novato, CA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2003

Strengths:    Light, cheap, Ti rails, Kevlar corners, gonad relief

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I was a little hesitant about buying this seat, but so far I've been really happy. It has just the right amount of padding, it's light, and it's cheap. I felt comfortable on it right away.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized P.O.S.

Bike Setup:   Trek Y5, Marzocchi Z1 BAM

Submitted by DR a Cross Country Rider from Rome, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Strengths:    light, comfortable, scuff guards

Weaknesses:    havent found any yet

Bottom Line:
After knocking two high-dollar saddles off the rails in minor crashes, I decided to go with the no-name PBS saddle--a fairly good deal for leather, scuff guards and ti rails. I did not expect much, but this saddle rivals any name brand saddle out there. Zero break in, very comfortable on epic rides and, thus far, durable. Kudos to Performance for getting this one right.

Similar Products Used:   Flite, SDG, Dragonfly, many others

Bike Setup:   steel hardtail

Submitted by Aaron Worstell a Cross Country Rider from Evergreen, CO

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable, narrow, light, kevlar trim

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I was a little reluctant to buy this seat because the quality of PBS brand stuff can sometimes vary. But it had everything I wanted: light (225 grams), Ti rails, kevlar trim, narrow profile, and great price. It has a great narrow profile that allows me to get behind the seat without catching my thighs. It also has the perfect amount of padding. I was pretty much sold after the first few rides, but the durability question was still out there. After 6 months of use, the seat has held up very well and I like it more everyday. It's good to see PBS make such a great product at such great price.

Favorite Trail:   Bergern Peak