Performance Forte Classic SL Saddle Saddle

3.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by Chris from St. Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight. Titanium rails. Cheap. Comfy.

Weaknesses:    Not too much padding. Leather can tear.

Bottom Line:
I had to get Ti rails because I bent the heck out of my Specialized Body Geometry seat. This saddle is awesome. Very sturdy, very light, and comfortable. I will say that it takes some riding to get used to a thinner saddle with very little padding, especially if you're used to a gel or padded saddle. Overall, I rate this saddle highly and recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Lost Valley

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry.

Bike Setup:   04 Specialized Rockhopper with SPDs.

Submitted by John Thao a Weekend Warrior from sacramento, ca

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Strengths:    Cheapest titanium rail saddle along with leather! Very light and comfy!

Weaknesses:    None at the moment

Bottom Line:
Best bang for the bucks!

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls

Similar Products Used:   Specialize & WTB

Bike Setup:   GT-RTS, AViD digi7 rim brakes, plus alot of shimano stuff!

Submitted by pimpbot a Cross Country Rider from oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2003

Strengths:    Not too heavy, good price, holds up well

Weaknesses:    Makes my unit fall asleep if I'm not careful, too narrah for my sit bones.

Bottom Line:
I ran this thing for 2 years. It held up okay but it was either too firm in the wrong places for my tucas, or my sit bones didn't rest on the saddle the right way. I think this saddle would be fine, providing the rider had sit bones narrah enough to rest them on the right spots of the seat. Mine weren't. I thought it was my hardtail causing my tailbone pain, so I added a cheapo suspension seatpost which helped. I switched to a WTB Speed V and it's way better for me.

Similar Products Used:   Stock Giant saddle, WTB Speed V

Bike Setup:   Giant hardtail with Rockshox Duke Race, I was using an Aeron suspension seat post, but dumped it.

Submitted by Shan Wade a Weekend Warrior from Arkansas, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    Price, cutaway design, excellent materials and construction.

Bottom Line:
Although Performance markets these as road gear, I bought this saddle for my mountain bike a few years ago after deciding to try a cutaway design. The price was much better than a full-on Selle, or Terry, especially for the features. When I finally got it, I was VERY suprised to find a Selle Italia QC(quality control) sticker on it! Evidently these were made by selle for Performance. Anyway, put it on my bike and haven't looked back. I love the design, it is firm enough without too much padding, and 'The Boys' are much happier not sleeping through rides. Strength is very good, (I weigh in at around 285) no problems with bent rails or cracked shell, and it is not too flexy, either. My only regret is not buying the TI- railed version for the short time they were available, for when I wear this one out. Bottom line, if you are thinking of switching to a reasonably light, cutaway saddle, and dont want to spend too much money, buy this saddle!

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Vetta Gel

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F400, XTR/Truvative drivetrain, Rockshox Indy SL w/Englund Air, etc.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Upstate, NY

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    mushy padding, spaghetti strength rails

Bottom Line:
I bought this saddle because it looked a lot like my selle italia trans am max flite. I already have one on my mtb and I love it... this was for my roadie. Performance's web site describes this saddle as firm padding... Well, it is about as firm as a wet sponge. My arse is so incredibly sore right now from trying to find a comfortable spot on the saddle. Outwardly, it looks like a close match to the selle but the padding is so mushy that it actually presses up into your crotch cutting off circulation. I've had great luck buying stuff from performance, but this saddle will make me think twice about buying a performance brand item in the future... I could have spent another $30 and just gotten the selle italia at pricepoint.

Now, having said that, if you already own a trans am max flite and are looking for more padding, this one might be the ticket.