Nashbar 2x Plus Saddle

Models: Men's Race, Men's Tour/ATB, or Women's Comfort

Color: Black/Black, Red/Black, or Yello/Black

Submitted by Boris Bugalter a Cross Country Rider from Acton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great bang for a buck. I ride hybrid and road bike, and any decent saddle is ~$100. But for commuting in the city "under the elements" (3 bikes were stolen, 2 in NYC, 1 in Cambridge, yes, in Harvard yard, and yes, there were all chained) I feel there is no need to spend that much and risk to loose it all. Tried 3 other saddles in $20-$30 range, and this one rules!

Weaknesses:    Seam b/ween lower portion and upper rubbs my shorts a little.

Bottom Line:
Very comfortable for 2+ hours/day commuting, great for the family rides, even while pulling trail-a-bike.
Feels very comporable to Giant Cypress DX's original saddle (also made by velo) that lasted 4 years/3000 miles for me.
Definitely a steal at $20. Outperforms other $20 saddles by far (comfort-wise and response-wise).

Favorite Trail:   Minuteman Bikeway

Similar Products Used:   Forté EasyRider Saddle, Forté SofTail Saddle

Bike Setup:   Giant Cypress DX

Submitted by paul a Cross Country Rider from dunnellon, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Strengths:    The gel makes for a painfree ride. The hole seems to be why I no longer get that loss of sensation

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any

Bottom Line:
With this seat I no longer have to keep stopping to rest my butt. I think the gel aspect of this seat is the main reason, but I think the hole in the center and the fact that I now tilt my seat forward has also helped. I am very happy with this seat. I wouldn't recommend a hornless saddle, because the horn is needed to keep you on the seat. Those big-ass seats are too restrictive to the pumping motion of your legs, so I think they are not the solution to a painful butt. For me this saddle is what worked well.

Favorite Trail:   Old Croton Aqueduct

Purchased At:   Amazon/Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Stock seat that came with my Trek bike was OK till I started doing long rides on a paved rail trail.

Bike Setup:   Standard Trek Alpha 4500 just as it came out of the box

Submitted by Alan Semon a Cross Country Rider from Saylorsburg

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2005

Strengths:    Overall, the comfort is quite good, even over fairly long distances (23 miles/day). It absorbs trail bumps nicely as well.

Weaknesses:    I guess the weight might be an issue, though not with me since I'm not that high a calibar rider.

Bottom Line:
I generally believe that Nashbar badged products are a fairly good buy and so is this seat. I have used several such products (pedals, seats and shoes to name a few) and have consistently found them to be reasonable.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Hole

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Avocet

Bike Setup:   OLD Specialized 24-speed StumpJumper, Crank Bros. Eggbeater S pedals.

Submitted by Noel Muscutt a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2004

Strengths:    This is a fantastic saddle! When I saw it on clearance at Nashbar for $14.95 I thouhgt I would take a chance -- what's $14.95. I'm glad I did! This saddle has been extremely comfortable, with no sign of saddle sores after riding for upwards of 16 hours at a time. (I am a bike officer.)

Weaknesses:    The saddle is a wee bit on the heavy side, but for $14.95, who would complain about 100 extra grams. It's less than the difference of a quarter of a water bottle. Also, I wish it came in leather.

Bottom Line:
If you can still find this saddle at Nashbar, buy two or three of them! (Send another one to me!)

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Bike Setup:   Trek hardtail with Deore XT components, Rock Shox Psylo front suspension.

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Rochester NY

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Strengths:    This seat is the bomb! Seriously, it's gel isn't too soft, the hole in the center is just right for me. No longer having the pains in the prostate after epic weekends of riding. I like the black/red color scheme for my i-drive, bought a 2nd black 2x seat for my other GT.

Weaknesses:    Slight tear in the black/black after a crash, although I have to say that happens. Tear never got any bigger even a year after the crash. The fabric seems different in the two seats.

Bottom Line:
I recommend this seat to everyone. Well, maybe every guy I see, there may be something better for the ladies.
The various color schemes available lets you customize your bike; I like the black/red with red grips and red lizzard skins on my shocks. You could also make a rad yellow/black hornet combo. This seat keeps me from inflaming my prostate! OW!

Favorite Trail:   Crack'd Helmet, Tryon

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Avocet gel seat -- hole not big enough...seat too plush, unless you like that sort of thing.

Bike Setup:   GT i-Drive 5 2001, Judy 100, Deore XT, LX drive train, lizzard skins keeping my shocks/headset from destructive Rochester weather, SRAM PC69 chain, which I like better everyday (fixed the chainsuck problem by cleaning it :-)

Submitted by Chris from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2002

Weaknesses:    Not wide enough, too hard, and the hole cut out of it isn't big enough. I had to return it and am searching for a wider seat with a bigger hole in it.

Bottom Line:
I was very happy with a Nashbar Women's seat I purchased a few years ago. It was much wider and had a bigger hole cut out of it. Apparently they've changed the design.

Favorite Trail:   city streets

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Submitted by Ann a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort and price

Weaknesses:    Weight and color choices

Bottom Line:
My newest bike came with a Titec Ithys saddle which was not at all comfortable to me. After a month of complaining, a friend let me try her Terry Butterfly saddle. I thought it was the most comfortable saddle ever and was ready to go buy one until she told me about the $90.00 price tag. Being a cheap bargain hunter, I kept shopping and found Nashbar's version on their website. The design looked similar to Terry's and at 1/3 the price, I didn't think I could go too wrong with trying it out. After riding 14 miles of rough and rocky trails, I'm convinced this saddle is just as comfortable as the Terry. The only advantage I could find with the Terry is the weight. Nashbar's version is 362 gr versus Terry's Butterfly at 242 grms. Believe me, when you weigh the prices, the Nashbar 2x gel is hard to beat. Hopefully they will come out with an all black version since the only color choices are black/red or black/yellow. I would recommend this choice to any women who are looking for an affordable, comfortable gel saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel - S. Burma