Koski Engineering Saddle Saddle

2.26/5 (23 Reviews)

• High performance saddle that maximizes comfort
  • Flat nose and contoured rear for easy transitional moves
  • 6mm drop in the center of saddle provides relief for soft tissue areas
  • Rear of the saddle designed to provide proper pelvic support
  • Weight: 270g., with Gel: 285g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by whobiggs a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Strengths:    Comfort

Bottom Line:
    Wasn't keen for the first thousand miles and then forgot about it. It has since done 12,750 miles. What more can I say! I love it.

Purchased At:   norfolk

Similar Products Used:   flite,brooks, fizik

Bike Setup:   Gt Karakoram more for commuting and touring than mountain biking.

Submitted by John from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2007

Strengths:    Looks nice

Weaknesses:    Try this saddle ... then try sitting on the post...then the saddle again...I swear you will notice no difference

Seriously though, OUCH! OUCH! - buyer beware.

Bottom Line:
    I agree with nearly all the other reviewers. This one is not merely uncomfortable, it is downright painful. There is no reason to subject yourself to such torture at any cost. Even at $0. If you are the worlds biggest tightwad- spend the extra $5 - $10.

I'm not saying you must pamper yourself, just don't go for the worst option. (brick on stick as others have said)

Case in point, I would not sell mine or even give it away.
    Please notice most people got it as stock. If it is coming stock on a bike you are purchasing, you'd be wise to request another.

Your bum will thank you.

Purchased At:   stock on bike

Bike Setup:   Giant Rainier SE / Shimano

Submitted by Donnie Anderson a Weekend Warrior from MOncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    Durable, looks good, came free with bike oem

Weaknesses:    Sux, uncomfortable, feels like a church bench

Bottom Line:
    This saddle came stock on my Giant bike. I am surprised I rode it this long. I guess I didn't know what comfortable was. Well after trying my friends saddle today I am ashamed to say I rode my saddle since I've owned my Giant. It's like a brick on a stick. A genuine plywood popsicle. Very uncomfortable.

I am ordering a new saddle right now along with a Cane Creek Thudbuster. Can't wait.

Similar Products Used:   Many other saddles, not sure brands or models

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 870

Submitted by Bret Marts a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    Fits my body perfectly. The padding of the seat is just right with bike shorts. Neither to hard (ouch!) or to soft (impedes pedaling motion). Price is nice

Weaknesses:    The major weakness of this seat is it's size. The seat is pretty narrow and if it doesn't fit your hip bones will dig right up your butt.

Bottom Line:
    The key to finding a seat is finding one that fits your body. If the seat doesn't fit the width of your hip it will bring some major pain. The first six times I went out riding with this seat I swore I would get a new one. When I went to the bike shop for a free tune up I asked around. They said give it another few rides before you buy a more expensive seat. They were right! I went out riding for 4 hrs yesterday spending very little time out of the seat and had no seat pain. Find a seat that fits your bum and you will be happy. Once my body adjusted slightly the seat feels like it was custom made for me. There is very little prostate pressure and no pain that I would expect after a hard days ride.

Favorite Trail:   West Branch State Park

Purchased At:   Spin Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Ironhourse Rogue 2003: Manitou Axel Elite fork, deore drivetrain, lx rear derailer, Hayes HMX1 mechanical disk brakes

Submitted by Jon from White Rock

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Strengths:    Looks awesome, fits me, better than the oem seat...

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    Suck it up... it isn't like riding a brick, nor is it that bad about chafing or numbness. For the money, it's a great deal... especially for leather and kevlar. My first bike came with a banana seat. That was uncomfortable. This is... a godsend in comparison.

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   seat that came stock on my 2002 trek

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 4300, caged pedals, titec micros barends & enduro handlebar, Kore stem, Koski sportpost, Specialized Dirt Control tires, lizardskins everywhere possible

Submitted by Anthony stephenson a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Strengths:    cheap, looks good

Weaknesses:    not comfortable at all, not even worth 12! should have put it towards a better saddle.

Bottom Line:
    to short, to expensive, and just not comfortable. there is a drop in the midle so no matter what angle you put the thing out you allways get chaffing from both sides of the saddle.

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   2003 mongoose LE, VP 107 clipless pedals everything else standard.

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Strengths:    You're kidding, right?

Weaknesses:    Design, materials, construction...that's pretty much everything, eh?

Bottom Line:
    To clarify, I have OWNED this saddle for two years, have ridden it only half a dozen times. Came OEM on my GIANT ATX890. Changed it right away for a Selle Italia XO. I thought it might be OK for light downhilling on my dual suspension bike, but one minor lay-down of the bike and the cheap covering was shredded.

Feel sorry for anyone who actually CHOSE this saddle - my sympathies.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST, Selle Italia XO

Submitted by RoMeR a Weekend Warrior from Funkytown ( f.w.,tx. )

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    It is a bike seat.

Weaknesses:    You can't sit on it.

Bottom Line:
    Ooo. Ouch, ah! Eeoo-er Oh! Aiee ouch.
    And that was AFTER the ride.

I gave it a 2 cause I figure a 1 would be a brick on a stick.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on!

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Metal bench, steel chair, bed of nails ( OK seriously I've used many others- I even seem to remember my banana seat not hurting this bad )

Bike Setup:   The new "Ever Stand" mountain bike, thanks to this seat.
    ( I even ride a full suspension bike - 2002 Bullit no less with the 5th ele shock and still i getta buttache )

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from WY

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Strengths:    Matches my bike.

Weaknesses:    Hurts like all hell.

Bottom Line:
    I have to agree with the other reviewers, this saddle sucks. Looks good but I just can't take the pain any longer. If you're logging some miles you'll feel it the next day. This saddle has honestly made riding consecutive days in slickrock country and other demanding areas painful. I've decided to go with a WTB Rocket V Laser in anticipation of an upcoming two week trip. I think the '02 XTCs come stock with a WTB Rocket V. Supposedly a nice saddle, we'll see. I highly recommend not buying this saddle or keeping it unless you love pain in that region and don't plan on having children, or you are only concerned with matching your bike parts and riding on paved bike trails.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Comp., Specialized Body Geometry, WTB Rocket V Laser.

Bike Setup:   '01 Giant XTC NRS 1

Submitted by Steve Arnott a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2002

Strengths:    Looks gorgeous. Can't fault the aesthetics at all.

Weaknesses:    OW OW OW OW OOWW! It hurts! Every little bump in the road brings a tear to my eye. It's hard, uncomfortable, prolly quite poorly made, if you look underneath at the quality of the plastic/leather binding.

Bottom Line:
    OW. Not nice.

Looks amazing, and the colour scheme goes perfectly with my bike, but if you're a man and you enjoy making babies you shouldn't touch this saddle with a barge pole. Or anyone else's barge pole, for that matter.

Try the Squadra instead.

OW

Similar Products Used:   San Marco Squadra. Well, similar only because it, too, is a saddle. And I haven't actially tried it yet, but so long as it's not lined with razor blades it will be a huge improvement over this monstrocity.

Bike Setup:   2000 GT Tempest FS, mainly stock, soon to be stock+new saddle

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Wellington NZ

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Strengths:    Looks cool, matches my frame. Realistic simulation of what I imagine piles feel like.

Weaknesses:    Hurts when sat on.

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy this seat. After my first ride I went straight to bed, my ass was incredibly sore the next morning, I could hardly ride 10mins to work even! just because of my sore ass. I really reccomend you don't buy this seat.

It does look amazingly cool though.

They came stock on many 2001 Giants in NZ, and probably many other places too. I imagine they'll appear as a stock part on giants this year too. If you're buying a giant, and its coming with this seat, insist that it is changed before you buy the bike. It makes riding so amazingly unplesant.

Favorite Trail:   mt victoria

Purchased At:   penny farthings cyclery

Similar Products Used:   I dont think anyone else makes a seat similarly uncomfortable.

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX840, avid mechanical discs, this crappy seat.

Submitted by Hendrik a Cross Country Rider from Stellenbosch, South Africa

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Strengths:    * Looks cool
    * The rails dont bend

Weaknesses:    * You cant sit on it

Bottom Line:
    Dont buy this saddle because it looks cool. You cannot sit on it longer than an hour. When you get off the saddle everything is numb!! I cant believe they sell this stuff!

Purchased At:   Flandria