Koski Engineering Contour Saddle Saddle

2.19/5 (21 Reviews)

• High performance saddle that maximizes comfort
  • Flat nose and contoured rear for easy transitional moves
  • 6mm drop in the center of saddle provides relief for soft tissue areas
  • Rear of the saddle designed to provide proper pelvic support
  • Titanium rails with leather cover
  • Weight: 270 g.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jon from Bozeman, MT, US

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2006

Strengths:    Design, materials, fit, PRICE!

Weaknesses:    I eventually bent one rail while jumping a staircase and REALLY hurting my tailbone in the process... stupid all the way around. Availability...

Bottom Line:
    I bought this saddle initially to replace the Velo saddle that came stock with my Trek 4300 in 2002. I wanted something firmer, more trim, that looked cool and fit me better than the generic fabric topped comfort saddle. This was $10 at the time from JensonUSA - whom I've always had a very positive experience with. The seat must have been like an OE saddle, it had kevlar sides, and tubular chro-moly rails with a perforated black vinyl top. I HATED climbing on the old seat that held water, this was great because you could just wipe it down with your hand and ride off.

As I mentioned earlier, I managed to land a stair jump very poorly, come down hard on the saddle and bend one of the rails. At some point I decided I didn't want to sit lopsided and decided to replace the seat.

I had a cheapo relpacement that now resides on a bike it looks better on, then came the ISCA Dakar - my first leather wrapped, titanium railed flite style wonder. It's very light, very beautiful, but has to be the stiffest seat known to man. After a 20 mile singletrack excursion, it was banished for a future project. The Selle Itaia Genuine Gel was practically a steal on ebay because it's bright red, which fits the color scheme. Then out of fond memories, I searched ebay for Koski recently and found this saddle again, only this time with a black and red leather cover with titanium rails. The Flite Genuine Gel found a new home on the torch red singlespeed road bike townie... just to make room for this saddle. It's not for everyone, and it's not a big brand name, but I love it, and it'll look/feel great on my Bianchi as soon as my broken collarbone has healed!

If I'd relocate a Selle Italia Flite Gel, you know this must be nice... and I clearly put some time in my saddles, someday I'll try a brooks.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel, ISCA Dakar, OE Velo, and some cheap saddle that was as close to it as I could find.

Bike Setup:   2004 Bianchi Mutt hardtail, Deore 9 speed, disc brakes, Raceface crankset/bottom bracket, sette riser bar, kore stem,maxis tires,Alex-Formula wheelset, koski seatpost (also reccomend). Now has a new Koski contour coming in the mail...

Submitted by Konstantin Dark a Cross Country Rider from Moskow, RUSSIA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2005

Strengths:    Look nice, cool colour and logo

Weaknesses:    Very hard, weak frame.

Bottom Line:
    I have used this sadlle for 2 years. This is uncomfortable sadlle, but this is not turing one and I have got used to it. As this sadlle has titanium rails, it should be very durable but IT DOESN'T !!! After two years using frame has lost its geometry and look like screw now! Besides of this, leather cover is not durable too. After two sidefall sadlle has two holes on each sides.
    So, I will not advise to buy it.

Favorite Trail:   cross-country

Purchased At:   Came with my bike

Similar Products Used:   BBB sadlle

Bike Setup:   Atom DH2 full suspension bike with some modifications.

Submitted by Alex a Racer from Pembroke Pines, FL

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2005

Strengths:    This saddle is very durable. I have had it for over 2 years and is still holding up even after all the falling from my first months of riding.

Weaknesses:    The seat is very uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
    If you can afford to upgrade, Do it asap!. Get something that has the love channel for blod flow and titanium rails for durability and weight. It also depends on the rider style.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized COMP

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll 600 disc highly modified

Submitted by $p0t a Downhiller from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2004

Strengths:    Titanium rails, back slide, anatomic groove, small size and weight, comfortable

Weaknesses:    A little bit siff.

Bottom Line:
    I have no idea what people are thinking comparing an MTB saddle with a touring one. Well, I've bought Koski a few days ago because it has an anatomic groove had titanium rails, was relatively cheap and it looked technologically made (and my old saddle was a ruin). I knew Kosli was a cheap saddle but.. I decided to try it.

After I've bought the saddle I happened to read the reviews and I was really disappointed with my choice. I mounted the new saddle and went on some kind of a snowboard mountain nearby to test it's qualities. After making 4-5 meters flights during 1.5 hours I formed some opinion about it.

The saddle was good. It is a sport saddle not a touring one. It IS NOT designed for touring, though I never felt tired riding on it to the mountain and back so I guess it is not as bad for touring as well, but surely if I were a tourer I wouldn't install this saddle. Don't mix up different styles. When you're on FreeRide the saddle should have different qualities than a touring saddle, especially keeping in mind that most of the time a free rider or stunt rider has most of the weight on his legs.
    Especially it doesn't fit an amateur women who has no basic riding skills.

May be we're all talking about different saddles.
    Mine has a cevlar lining, titanium rails (it was checked after some reports suggested it was not a titanium alloy)

This saddle worths it's money. I can't say about durability (not much time was spent on it) but it is at least normal as far as comfort is concerned. But it surely doesn't suit for touring and people who has all their weight on the saddle during long tours.

My opinion is that it is an average saddle it is neither bad not particularly good and I marked it as four.

Purchased At:   Velomir

Bike Setup:   I assembled it myself
    ATOM frame, custom rear suspension and swingarm. Alivio/Deore, Hayes hydraulic brakes, Mavic 321, 525(front) with SRAM9.0/Formula, DNM VTS95 fork, Panaracer Fire FR, FSA Orbit XTreme headset.

Submitted by Qniux Tan a Cross Country Rider from Johore, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good and nothing else.

Weaknesses:    Not soft enough. Heavy. Titanium railings ? It rust !

Bottom Line:
    Sad to say, it's not a good saddle. It's heavy (more than 300 gm) and quite hard. At the beginning, I just couldn't sit long enough on this saddle. My buttock ached and I had to stand on my bike every now and then. It tortured me on long distance ride. After some time, I finally got used to it. But on a friend's recommendation, I got rid of it and bought a Selle Italia's saddle. Now long distance ridings pose no problem to me.

Favorite Trail:   Green Earth Project's track

Purchased At:   came with my bike

Similar Products Used:   SDG and Selle Italia.

Bike Setup:   Haro Escape with all the components riders recommended at MtbREVIEW.com

Submitted by Shamrock Bosco a Downhiller from Mr Shenise's neighborhood

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    Looked good, matched my bike, cheap...

Weaknesses:    Bent almost instantly..............not from crashing, just from RIDING!!! Super thick padding doesn't FEEL like super thick padding and I've ridden thinner saddles that are much more comfy.

Bottom Line:
    Stay away from the Contour and buy the Fastback. Koski stuff is basically OEM though.........you know, the kind of stuff that comes on your bike, so you deal with it. I mean who really BUYS Koski parts for their bike?

Purchased At:   Came on my bike stock

Similar Products Used:   Koski Fastback (I liked THAT one!)

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse G-spot with a DJ1 fork and Shimano platform pedals for jumping.

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Strengths:    comfortable, looks good, titanium rails?

Bottom Line:
    came stock on my Univega, replaced with a selle italia, and moved to my GT. i haven't gone any rides over 20 miles with it but i have had no soreness problems of which everyone claims. does it really have titanium rails?

Similar Products Used:   selle italia

Bike Setup:   2001 gt aggressor 1.0 frame, old judy xc fork, cantilever brakes, kore, alivio, stx.... a very wierd bike but it gets me to class

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Minnneapolis

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2002

Strengths:    Nice colors, cool logo.

Weaknesses:    Like riding on a birch log.

Bottom Line:
    Came with the bike. Decided to try it out for a ride or two. Had to apologize to the boys downstairs for making them endure a 1 hour pain cruise on this log of a saddle.

Try out one of the Fizik saddles. Not perfect, but 10x more comfortable. Probably a nice weight savings as well.

Purchased At:   stock

Similar Products Used:   Giro Fizik, Specialized,

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS XTC2 stock...except for this stupid saddle

Submitted by Ben Bilsland a Weekend Warrior from Taunton, Somerset, UK

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2002

Strengths:    Came with bike, matches my frame's colour scheme. Sorta comfy...

Weaknesses:    Naff because it matches my bike, sorta painfull...

Bottom Line:
    I hated it when i bought it. I liedk it again for a while. Hated it again after a short break from the bike, boguht some shorts and loved it...
    You need shorts. If it fits your ass then it is excellent. I think saddle tilt is integral. I pointed the nose up a little. But I want to it break so I can get an SDG.

Favorite Trail:   Quantocks

Purchased At:   Bonthorone

Similar Products Used:   SDG are the best. Sorry, but nothing compares

Bike Setup:   GT XCR 3000 w/ Psylos

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from San Luis Obispo, CA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Weaknesses:    Eats Shorts($$$), hard, damages easily.

Bottom Line:
    I rode the saddle for over a year, it is hard but not too bad with a full suspension bike. What really pissed me off is when the stiching on the saddle wore holes in my $60 shorts!

Favorite Trail:   shooters

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   Gian XTX DS-1

Submitted by Randy a Downhiller from morristown Ny

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Strengths:    NONE It is better than a bare post Just barely

Weaknesses:    it gets cut up like me Very uncomfortable and hard

Bottom Line:
    i hated mine it was so hard and it got banged up even when i set the bike down. it does have strong rails though i havent broken it off yet

Purchased At:   stock

Similar Products Used:   ive switched

Bike Setup:   atx 850 psylo xc set up for freeride

Submitted by Ronnie a Racer from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Strengths:    My saddle is a KOSKI CONTOUR NOT A KOSKI ENGINEERING CONTOUR!
    Light, looks great, feels good

Weaknesses:    no kevlar bumpers

Bottom Line:
    Looks great, feels great, worth the 25 bucks even if I will go through it in a year. Ordering a second one for back up. Once again MINE IS A KOSKI CONTOUR-NOT A KOSKI ENGINEEING CONTOUR!

Favorite Trail:   Slick rock, sidewalks, singletracks