Home | Reviews | Saddle | Koobi

Koobi Xenon Saddle

3.62/5 (13 Reviews)
Weight : 240 grams MSRP : $160.00

Lightweight, high performance saddle with exquisite styling. Available in black Italian leather. Ti Alloy rails.

Submitted by ABQ Clydesdale

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2013

Strengths:    durable
comfortable
keeps pressure off sensitive regions

Weaknesses:    can wear on sit bones on longer rides

Bottom Line:
I've had this saddle for about 8 months, and it has performed great! It has worn well, and it serves the intended purpose of keeping pressure off my sensitive areas.

I had tried several other saddles including WTB Speed V Pro Gel and Fizzik Gobi. The Koobi fits me better and does a better job of protecting those private areas. I would definitely buy another one.

Submitted by Nate Schweiz a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2010

Strengths:    Lite weight & very comfortable

Bottom Line:
I have been using this Xenon on my old full suspention Trek for years . I have been very happy with it . For long rides it works very well . At first it seemed rather hard but after the leather broke in it was very compfortble .I bought it off there website .

Favorite Trail:   Mt Hermon Trail

Purchased At:   Koobi website

Similar Products Used:   WTB

Bike Setup:   old Trek full suspention

Submitted by Ian Mitchell a Cross Country Rider from Nashville, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2008

Strengths:    Great support and extremely comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Durability of the rails and plastic

Bottom Line:
I was loving this saddle for a bout 3 weeks until I had a minor wreck at Hamilton Creek (going down hill had a moderate pace, hit a grouping of rocks and went over the handle bars - no, no, it's okay. I'm fine!). The right-rear rail bent and the plastic at the nose that wraps around the front rail broke. I could easily bend back the rail (not sure if it would be weaker now) but I'm not sure how to fix the plastic. The leather seat didn't even sustain a scratch. I'm very disappointed in the quality of the rails and plastic but I'm very satisfied with the actual saddle. I've sent mine back to Koobi for repair and am waiting for a an estimate. If the durability of the rails and plastic could have withstood the crash, it'd still be lovin' my saddle and would have given it more flaming chili's.

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek, Tnasi, Tsali

Purchased At:   Jolly Cyclist (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   First "non-stock" saddle

Bike Setup:   GF Wahoo with a load of upgrades.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Ut, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2005

Strengths:    Most comfertable seat I've used. I like that I sit on my sit bones, and the groove takes the pressure off the private parts. It is also light and looks good.

Weaknesses:    Rails broke

Bottom Line:
I had this seat about 3 years and loved it. Then the rails broke, 5 miles into the 20 mile Porcupine Rim ride in Moab. I was able to tape it so I could use it a little to finish the ride. I weight 165 pounds. The break occurred at the rear bend in the rail, not at the seat post, so I don't think it was related to the seat post or how I mounted it. I called Koobi and told them what happened. They said they might be able to put in new rails. I asked if they could put in magnesium rails and if that would be stronger. The guy said maybe not stronger, but would bend instead of break. I thought that was a better way to go, a little heavier, but hopefully will not have catastrophic failure. I did not ask for a new seat as it was way out of warranty. I sent it in and Koobi put in magnesium rails for free, which was nice of them. The seat is back on my bike, now I just hope the plastic holds up. I would only recommend this seat for road riders.

Favorite Trail:   top secret

Purchased At:   Koobi web site

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST.k, some no name stuff

Bike Setup:   Santacruz Superlight, Thompson seatpost

Submitted by Carl Mega a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2004

Strengths:    fit, fit, fit - very comfortable

Weaknesses:    if you sneeze on it, the rails will break

Bottom Line:
I have to echo Jon's review below. I purchased this saddle and instantly loved it. Fits great. The only problem was it broke in under 20 rides (maybe as few as 10). Rails and plastic bits cracked 1/2 through a 35mi ride. I had already purchased another one before the failure so when I called their customer service I wanted to know if this failure was common. Pretty unhelpful and rude customer service. I was told that even if it was a manufacturing defect the best they could do was put in new rails. Well too late for that - the plastic broke too. They also told me it was most likely my fault (mounted wrong - ha! I'm a wrench and have mounted 1000s of saddles - never incorrectly) but interestingly and contrary to what Jon wrote - they said they normally don't have problem with Thomson posts. They can't even get their story straight. If you own this saddle, look at the rails - it's pretty obvious that the method they (Koobi does not do the manufacturing btw) use to bend the rails into shape causes the thin walled Ti to 'pinch' in areas and causes weak spots - right where you need the most strength. In their defense, my second one has lasted longer but it's still suspect. If reliability and durability is important to you look elsewhere. Fine for around town but this saddle will not be going on any long epic rides with me. Here's a link to a thread and photo of the failure: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=479117#post479117

$100 retail for a saddle that has a tendancy to fail is insane.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   Single Speed hardtail

Submitted by Rey a Weekend Warrior from Jersey City, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2004

Strengths:    Very comportable(no pain), cooling ventilation inbetween you legs, great looks(color match my bike), strenght, lite weight.

Weaknesses:    Non so far except it would be nice if it has kevlar on the seat side for added strenght.

Bottom Line:
This is my 3rd year on this saddle(I weight 160lbs) and so far I haven't have any problem (no pain and very comportable) and still looks good compare to the other reviewer before me.
I highly recommend this product to anyone who want comport, style, and cooling effect on you bottom.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne, Chimney Rock

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   WTB speed V comp(pain in my @$$). Koobi SI.

Bike Setup:   KHS FXT Pro(2001) full suspension. Truvative Crank, Shimano XT drive train, Chris King headset, Raceface handlebar/stem/seatpost, Sun single track wheel with Shimano XT hub, Kenda Charisma 1.95 tire(red to match my bike).

Submitted by Jon Crane a Cross Country Rider from shelby twp.

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Strengths:    it light, and it looks great.

Weaknesses:    the plastic and ti rails broke on a long ride. pedaling with out a seat sucks! there customer service will treat you like a jerk.

Bottom Line:
there are no special instructions included with this saddle, but koobi told me that that bolts had to be costom fit when using it with a thompson seat post, and that it was my fault for it breaking. i mailed it to them to warranty and they sent it back with used rails replaced on it! now it just sits on the shelf because it will eventually leave me walking again!

Favorite Trail:   bloomer park

Bike Setup:   2001 kelly hard tail set up to rip

Submitted by Andy Cox a Cross Country Rider from Uk

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2003

Strengths:    Very light and dead comfy. At first sight workmanship is excellent.

Weaknesses:    However, the plastic in which the rails sit has failed (cracked) during moderate use ensuring a long hack back home!

Bottom Line:
Great saddle - shame it broke

Purchased At:   Alpine bikes

Similar Products Used:   Flite Ti

Bike Setup:   Scott pro racing - raceface drivetrain and hope wheels and stoppers.

Submitted by WACX from SOUTHER JERSEY

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Strengths:    Material, design, Quality, Made by Sella Italia, created by dudes that really care about R-Backsides proper

Weaknesses:    None if you go back to the basics and make small ajustments until the height and angle match your tushhhy

Bottom Line:
A Brooks it ain't but so far it's most cumfy especially when hard set on the rollers for the balance of the winter. the real test will come on the road. the materials and quality are there and the story of the Ladds that designed the things are worthy of an open mind and break-in period. I would say go for the Koobi if your current chair ain't gett'in it for you. BY the By, Jenson USA has earned their reputation for a great place to do business.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Flites (Gel and non-jelly versions), Specialized (Bunn Braker machine), Brooks: Swift, B72, Profesional (all are great saddles and remain my favorites), Vetta (so-so), San Marco (hole in the middle thing-a-ma-jigg) and many, many others too painful to remember.

Bike Setup:   C-Dale SAECO W/Campy Record/Aero-Spaokes and first aid kit with anti dog spray

Submitted by Matt from The Bronx

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Strengths:    Sweet looking. Groove seems to work. Very light.

Weaknesses:    Kind of hard.

Bottom Line:
This one is staying on my road bike. It is great for riding along on smooth roads. I think it would be way too hard for bumpy offroad rides. Everytime I hit a bump on the road, it gives me a jolt. On the other hand, for cruising along, it's great. I can't decide if it's better than the Flite Gel I used to have, but it's definitely not worse. (I loved that Flite). One thing about it that's different than anything I've tried: it's FLAT. Kind of like sitting on a pancake. Seems to work, but feels weird at first. I'm getting used to it though. No complaints. I'll stick with my Speed V for my mountain bike. (I've got a weird Speed V that only weighs 275g!) I just couldn't pass this one up for the price! ($26 on eBAY. Mint condition. Sometimes you just get lucky). I'll give it 4 chilis for value though because I don't think it's worth the $100 that most places charge.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Speed V, Flight Gel Ti, Slim Jim

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by purple paul from New York, NY USA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2002

Strengths:    Fairly Comfortable. Beautifully made.

Weaknesses:    Thick seams. Damn expensive.

Bottom Line:
I don't know what Koobi were thinking when they sewed really thick seams across this saddle. It took a lot of work to get it to be comfortable enough to ride for a few hours at a time. The secret for me was to tilt it down in front quite a bit more than I ever had before. That way, the seams aren't hitting pressure points as much. Until I did that, I was actually developing a really painful bump where the seam and my inner thigh met. Since it's gotten colder here, I haven't gone on a really long ride to see if the saddle would remain comfortable longer. But it is more comfortable on the shorter rides than it used to be.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane Australia

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Strengths:    Light.Supremely comforable.Stong, deep ti rails which place saddle body well away from clamp. Great choice of colours. A work of art.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I run this saddle on my road bike. I have a Selle Italia Trans Am on my mountain bike, and while it is an excellent saddle, I felt it was a little too chunky for my Fastback.

My Koobi Xennon felt just right from the first ride, I'm sure I heard my backside go "ahhhhhh!". Comfort aside, it is an object of great beauty. Even my wife, who usually fails to share my enthusiasm for new componentry, exclaimed that it looked good enough to hang on the wall.

Supurb!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Still Searching

Purchased At:   Mud Sweat and Gears.

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Max Flight Trans Am. Many others over the years.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Fastback Comp. Stock except for Woodman Carbo Seatpost and Deathgrip clamp.

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2002

Strengths:    Very flat profile makes it easy to move around on

Weaknesses:    None so far. . . . I'm a little worried about the lack of kevlar on the corners. . . . .

Bottom Line:
This is a great saddle. Firm padding and not to much of it lets you ride on your sit bones which prevents "parts" from getting numb. Ti rails and nylon(?) shell give the saddle just the right amount of flex for comfort. The flat rear of the saddle makes it a great saddle for technical riding, allowing you to move around easily. If it had Kevlar sides it would get 5 Flamin' Chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Wissy Valley, Round Valley, Idle Wood