Home | Reviews | Saddle | Koobi

Rails: Manganese
Cover: Leather

Submitted by Aaron from San Marcos

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort, build quality, unique design

Weaknesses:    this category is not necessary for this product

Bottom Line:
This seat rocks. Its craftsmanship is second to none. These are in fact made by Selle Italia, but to the design and specs of Koobi. At first I thought the split nose design was odd looking, but it really grew on me. Even if the looks may not suit your tastes perfectly, its still not worth overlooking this saddle because it may be just what you need. It is perfect for my butt, but of course mine is different than many others' butts. I am a firm believer that one should not rate a saddle on its level of comfort, but on its build quality since that is the only tangible thing you can look at.

Purchased At:   New Revolution Cycles (www.nrcycles.com)

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia, Terry, WTB, Serfas, Avocet, Fizik, Selle San Marco, the list goes on and on

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Allentown, PA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2003

Strengths:    This company as a whole really delivers the goods. I'm a HUGE fan of small companies who focus their efforts on the products they produce rather than advertising and market share. (Ex: Chris King) I was able to pick up a "blem" from Koobi for 1/2 price. The split works as intended.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Cost (MSRP) is out of reach for many riders. But hey, thats OK. Someone's gotta keep the others in business! I bought a "blem" and spotted the "flaw"!! The "koobi" label in the rear is about 1/16th" - 1/8th" off center. Guess I have to avoid the fashion police out on the trail..

Bottom Line:
If you've never used a split seat, it "may" seem a little strange at first. Took me a few rides to adjust to the feel. I think some people forget that every seat holds the same body weight (YOURS!!) If you remove pressure from one area, it has to be transferred somwhere else. Take a guess why some think a split seat is too stiff or uncomfortable???

I'd rather keep the lady happy than complain to the boys that my new saddle hurts my "hi nee".

Purchased At:   Koobi

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, various P.O.S. oem saddles.

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider XVP

Submitted by Barry Lochridge a Cross Country Rider from Dillon, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2003

Strengths:    This saddle has good Flex, tough leather but comfortable, narrow enough to avoid chafing and sciatic compression, wide enough to allow comfort.

Weaknesses:    There could be a more comfortable saddle out there for someone who's not an XC racer and doing road training.
I'd rather it cost less, but I got what I paid for!

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike. I did a really mean thing to Bike Nashbar, and ordered 8 different saddles. I had already tried a proflite gel from sella italia, and was numb and sore in an hour or less riding. I took all the saddles from Nashbar and tried everyone of them for as long a ride as I could stand. I actually almost bought the Nashbar legend as it was quite comfortable, but wasn't leather. So the Koobi got it because it was good after 3 hrs. right out of the box. I've used it hard (100 miles/week plus and races)and now it's even better. I even put it on a borrowed road bike and did a 157 mile one-day tour and only had mild soreness on the sit-bones. I've never done that long a ride in one day before and the bike set-up wasn't the best as it was borrowed. Also, I've crashed at 35 mph in a race with this saddle and watched my bike go end-over-end on th saddle and then slide on it and the pedals. Scuffed the pedals pretty bad, but I can barely see the mark on the leather of the Saddle! BOTTOM BOTTOM LINE: I'm impressed and I really like this saddle.

Favorite Trail:   The "B"

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Serfas, coda expert, Sella italia pro flite gel, various bontrager, nashbar legend and many others.

Bike Setup:   I'm 160 lbs. 5'7" Large Cannodale Killer V, with black comp 100/120, 105 mm stem, 175mm raceface prodigy cranks and time atac alum clipless.

Submitted by Pieter Thole a Racer from Amsterdam

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2003

Strengths:    Flat, light, just enough padding and wide.

Bottom Line:
As long as you are not an elite cyclist you don't want a sadle with a curve. You want to sit on a flat surface. Otherwise you keep leaning against your steer or you put the nose up in a way extra pressure is put on your piece of nomansland. Koobi is flat, notto hard and takes pressure of the nomansland.

Favorite Trail:   De Supertol

Purchased At:   Lohmans

Similar Products Used:   Terry Fly, Spesialized BG, Selle XO Trans Am.

Bike Setup:   Santos 02, Ultegra, WCS, Rigida DPX

Submitted by Jim from Camarillo, CA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    Excellent craftsmanship, easy break-in, comfortable, looks cool. Great customer service. Knowledgeable sales rep.

Bottom Line:
At 230lbs and over 6' tall, comfort can be hard to find. Initially, the Silver felt strange and it sort of hurt in funny places (sit bones), but during the 5th ride I suddenly realized I hadn't even thought about the saddle at all. I still can't believe how comfortable this saddle is. Though I'm new to the MTB "scene" and I've only had the saddle for about 4 months with over 350 miles (riding primarily in the Santa Monica Mountains), the saddle is flawless. Koobi advised that I start with this saddle, since I was relatively new to the sport and said later I may want to move up a more firmer model, but for now, this saddle is perfect. Though I have not tried a wide variety of saddles, I would highly recommend a phone call to Koobi before considering any other saddle...they also offer a 30-day money back gaurantee.

Purchased At:   Koobi

Similar Products Used:   Coda expert saddle.

Bike Setup:   2000 Cannondale F800

Submitted by drewster a Cross Country Rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    Decently light, cool looking

Weaknesses:    A smidge more padding would be nice and a wider split

Bottom Line:
So, I read all the reviews on Koobi and was impressed by the positive comments on how it solved the numbness in the nether regions issue. But, I can't say it has lived up to this claim. I am a heavier rider, 215lbs, and that is probably the 1st problem. However, the seat is surprisingly comfortable for it's size and weight. I definitely prefer it over my old Specialized Body Geometry(which does have more padding). I would recommend this saddle, but don't think it will solve any numb nuts issue, unless, possibly, you are under 180lbs or so.

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com