Home | Reviews | Saddle | Koobi

Koobi SI Classic Gel Saddle

4.61/5 (31 Reviews)
Weight : 339 grams MSRP : $90.00

Koobi's upgraded SI is now the SI Classic Gel with added Gel comfort. Genuine Leather, generous relief area.FeC rails

Submitted by papatini a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    Strong; wide; firm but comfortable.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I have this saddle on both my mountain bike and my commuter. I am 6'3", 220lbs. I usually have a hard time finding a quality saddle that is both wide and firm. I initially bought one for my mountain bike (full suspension). Once I like a product, I stock up, so I bought a couple more for future applications. Glad I did. Installed on my commuter, and love it. Also, I have never had a saddle that did not eventually bend at the rails. Finally stopped using the hollow style. This unit has seen about 3000 miles on my mountain bike, with no visible bend or fatigue. I know the price I paid looks low, but it's real. Just happened across this product online, looking for a wide firm saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100

Purchased At:   Medium-sized online

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BG, Sette.

Bike Setup:   09 Stumpy with virtually everything replaced but the derailleurs and the stem.

Submitted by stormpeakco a Cross Country Rider from steamboat springs, CO

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    didn't seem to notice a break-in period. very acceptable comfort without a great deal of weight or girth.

Weaknesses:    none, thus far

Bottom Line:
No pun intended, the ride up Zig Zag (Steamboat Ski Mtn)was absolutely bottom, basement pleasing. For once the expected pain in the legs while mountain biking was virtually unaccompanied by extreme ischial tuberosity discomfort and inappropriate gluteal ischemia.

Favorite Trail:   too many in Routt Co to decide

Purchased At:   website

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite, Fizik, Torelli Amalfi SL

Bike Setup:   Moots YBB

Submitted by smokey422 a Cross Country Rider from MO

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort, nose does not tend to snag shorts when sliding forward on steep hills.

Weaknesses:    Leather seams are getting worn but I've had this saddle a long time. Some would say weight but the most overweight component on my bike is the rider.

Bottom Line:
This is a very comfortable seat that is also a good value (can't believe the prices on some of these new seats!). I find it works best if mounted just slightly nose down. I've done 6 hour rides on my Lemond with no saddle issues. I like the way the nose is rounded, some saddles tend to snag shorts when riding way forward. The seams on the top are getting worn on mine. When time comes for a replacement, it will be another Koobi.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl, Rock Bridge State Park

Purchased At:   Koobi

Similar Products Used:   Brooks, Selle Italia Flite, San Marco.

Bike Setup:   Lemond Poprad cyclocross bike, Fisher Marlin HT with Thudbuster (have used on both).

Submitted by Red Warrior a Cross Country Rider from Westfield, MA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2007

Strengths:    split nose/love channel shape

Weaknesses:    seating surface wearing off, now absorbs water

Bottom Line:
Very good saddle for my butt. Very comfortable but maybe a tad wide. Mine is very worn after a year or so and 2k plus miles. Top layer of seating surface wore off and now absorbs water. Love the saddle and would give perfect rating except for accelerated wear. To be fair though, it is billed as a recreational saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Jacob's Ladder

Purchased At:   direct from Koobi

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Avocet, SDG

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Teocali Elite

Submitted by craig a Weekend Warrior from Quakertown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2006

Strengths:    Very comfortable saddle. I no longer feel abused down there after getting off my bike.

Bottom Line:
Very comfortable saddle. Nice, solid look to it. Highly recommended for all you riders feeling abused down there.

Purchased At:   koobi.com

Bike Setup:   Cannondale

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Muskoka, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Strengths:    Fantastic! No numbness/tingling/etc. Comfortable. Great construction.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
Have used this saddle for over 5 years for cross country racing, adventure racing, and 24-hour racing which equals long and rough hours in the saddle. I will never purchase another! Rarely, if ever do I have problems down in the region of interest. The seat is comfortable and has lasted through significant abuse. No tearing or deterioration of the leather. Have used various gel seats and the Specialized versions. If you're having problems, buy one of these seats and ride on problem free.

Similar Products Used:   Various gel seats and the Specialized version + various weight weenie racing saddles.

Bike Setup:   Shwinn Homegrown (hard tail race bike), XT/XTR, SID

Submitted by The Porkmeister a Cross Country Rider from Los Alamos, NM USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2005

Strengths:    Durable, comfy, nice looking, well designed, not obnoxiously heavy

Bottom Line:
As a big, big guy who loves to take long rides on trails many times each week, this is a great seat! I had thought that mountain biking would just have to be moderately painful on the ass and nuggets for a large fleshy guy like me, but I was wrong. Being like Jabba the Hut, the seat literally disappears under my gerth, but that's okay -- the seat is durable and functional. Koobi makes a great seat that retains its comfort throughout the miles. I can actually do an all-day ride and not come home numb now. Before I got the Koobi, I was in pain after an hour or two in the saddle. Not anymore! I do not hesitate to recommend Koobi. Plus they look kind of cool and nobody else I know has one. If you see me on the trail (and I'm hard to miss) with a smile on my face, you'll know my Koobi is still going strong ...

Favorite Trail:   Any trail that doesn't provide certain death as part of the ride

Purchased At:   Given to me as a promo

Similar Products Used:   All kinds of saddles

Bike Setup:   Yer basic hardtail mountain bike that's not top of the line and not junk.

Submitted by voodoo chile a Cross Country Rider from LI,NY

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2004

Strengths:    its just about the perfect seat.

Weaknesses:    nada

Bottom Line:
ive used this saddle since 2000 with zero problems and max comfort. it just does what it supposed to and it lasts.

Favorite Trail:   dupont/pisgah,nc

Purchased At:   bike junkie

Similar Products Used:   sdg,sele italia?,serfas, koobi prs (excellent)

Bike Setup:   voodoo bizango,z2bam,gripshift,xt,salsa stem/post,avid,conti vpro's

Submitted by YR a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2004

Strengths:    comfort, durability

Bottom Line:
This review is for the new version of SI gel saddle.
I was concerned about changing my Serfas Rx which is
so well padded but decided to try due to the great reviews
here (thanks). The weight is at 320g a full 185g lighter than the Serfas and the width is a bit narrower which makes
for a better technical saddle. But the main issue of comfort was fully answered. This saddle is even more
comfy than the Serfas - all my worries dissapeared and
I am a happy camper. I will get this one again if needed
without hesitation.

Purchased At:   new revolution cycles

Similar Products Used:   Serfas Rx other gel saddled and the default Giant saddle.

Bike Setup:   NRS

Submitted by 'ric a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2003

Strengths:    Super comfortable
Great price for a Koobi
Future generations no longer doomed, family clan lives on

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy, but that's about it

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that my bottom feels fine.

The junk saver does the business. Nicely contoured so that everything just falls into place. You may need to put your seat a little further forward and tilt it more downwards than you're used to to take full advantage of this.

Mine didn't even need seasoning, was instantly comfy right out of the box. Leather feels great when you're wearing shorts, or indeed if you're nekkid, though I wouldn't know, honest guv'nor!

You can get lighter saddles, but you won't get one as nice to sit on for the price. Only reason I relegated this to my spare bike was cos I bought another saddle - you guessed it, Koobi as well, the Tri model.

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Plateau, Koobi Tri, Selle Flight, etc

Bike Setup:   Merlin E-Stay Suspension '93, full XTR

Submitted by Jim Smith a Weekend Warrior from Clanton, Al. USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2003

Strengths:    Cost, comfort construction

Bottom Line:
I am just over 200lbs and I had just about decided that I would have to be uncomfortable. I read several reviews on this site and I decided to give the Koobi SI a try. I am glad I did. This is a very comfortable saddle. I used to really start to feel my saddle after an hour or so but now I never think about my butt. BUY ONE

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Purchased At:   Koobi.com

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant OCR

Submitted by Gary White a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    Strong and very comfortable, good level of padding

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of

Bottom Line:
I use this saddle on my Cove 'out-of-bounds' hardtail for serious XC hacks and light freeriding. I wanted a thicker, more pliable saddle to provide more cushioning without a weight penalty. The Si fits the bill - still going strong after serious use, with just some light scuffing from wear on the sides of the leather. Excellent

Favorite Trail:   Old Springs Trail, Marin, Ca

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery, London, UK

Similar Products Used:   Koobi Au Enduro, various Specialiazed

Bike Setup:   Cove Stiffee FR, Hope Bulb hubs and Mavic X219 rims, Marzocchi Z1 Drop Off forks, Race Face North Shore cranks & rings, XT shifers & front mech, XTR rear mech, Hope C2 disc brake set, Easton EA50 seat post, bar and stem

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Central, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2003

Strengths:    Looks cool, super comfortable, quality construction, curvy ergonomic profile fits me nicely

Bottom Line:
This is a great, good looking, comfortable saddle. Once it broke in it became more comfortable than I would have expected from just leather and padding. The love channel works wonders. Cool graphics. Weight weenies might prefer a few grams lighter, but it's light enough for most. Quality construction. Great deal.

Purchased At:   koobi.com

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper FSR with lots of goodies

Submitted by Lin Dze a Cross Country Rider from Monterey CA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    all sorts of comfortable. And i like their little K spade logo.

Weaknesses:    hmmmm, its a little heavier than a more expensive saddle?

Bottom Line:
Very happy with this saddle. I use this bike to commute to work, around 12 miles a day, and I can say I would definatly buy another one. Not the lighteset one you can buy but its a reasonable cost and my ass loves this thing. I ride it almost every day and only once has it bothered me, though i think that might have been more the fault of the shorts i was wearing.

Good price, good feel, good buy.

Purchased At:   pricepoint, I think?

Bike Setup:   Supergo, er, Access 03 XCL, Marz Marathon, Team Stylo cranks, XTR rear derailer, XT front derailer, Hayes Comp disc, and Sun DS2-XC/XT wheelset. And of course the lovely Koobi

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from W. Springfield, MA.

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Strengths:    Looks great, extremely comfortable, and price is reasonable for what you get.

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
It is heavier than my previous saddle but the comfort factor far exceeds the weight. Buy it your ass and prostate will thank you!

Purchased At:   Koobi.com

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Pro Link TI Gel.

Bike Setup:   78 Special,Mavic 517,XTR,XT,Race Face,Thomson.

Saddles-Koobi Au Enduro vs. Gel Enduro vs. Si Classic

Need some help.....does anyone have experience with one or more of these saddles? I'm leaning towards either the Au Enduro or Gel Enduro since they're the same price at [URL="http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/p-410-koobi-au-enduro-saddle.aspx"]wekeepyoucycling.com[/URL]. If anyone's used both, is t ... Read More »