Home | Reviews | Saddle | Koobi

Koobi Classic Saddle

4.09/5 (47 Reviews)

Beautifully styled but built to last. Leather and Kevlar with 20% more padding than the Xenon. Manganese rails.

Submitted by Tom Millers a Racer from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    Comfy

Weaknesses:    Cheap Garbage Rails

Bottom Line:
Piece of Garbage! I never had a saddle break on me until now.
It broke on me as I was going uphill and pushing against the seat.
Rail snapped and cut a nice gash in my leg.
The rails are hollow and brittle thin-wall titanium. They made it this way to lose a few grams, but not worth it if it’s going to break and leave you stranded.

The website is filled with ways to pay them to replace broken rails, at a charge of course.
So it’s a known issue on a lot of Koobi saddles, and use this as a money making scheme at the expensive of our health and safety.

These seats should be recalled.
In fact I'm filing a complaint with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and BBB.

Certainly never going to buy from this company again.

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Many saddles

Submitted by John March a Cross Country Rider from Durham, NC

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Strengths:    Comfortable, durable.

Weaknesses:    Lacks Kevlar side guards.

Bottom Line:
Other saddles are less uncomfortable; the Koobi is the first saddle that I would call comfortable. No numbness on rides up to 100 miles. Easy to move around on. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Cary NC

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry Comp, Avocet 02, many others

Bike Setup:   Ibis Silk Ti, Appel custom road; Koobi Si on both

Submitted by David Lighthall a Cross Country Rider from Davis, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2001

Strengths:    Saddle seemed fine at first, provided good support at the contact points.

Weaknesses:    For me, the problems with the saddle started to surface after taking long rides of 2 hours or more. I noticed some penile numbness. I had installed the saddle on my road bike to avoid that very problem. The last straw was after a very intense 3 hour road race after which I had a numb dick for about 24 hours. It is apparent that the upper (contact point) ridges on the nose of the saddle are cutting off circulation to nerves or some pressure related disfunction. I see that the saddle has a high rating from mtb riders. My theory is that the problem I faced occurs after long periods of seated pedaling with little position change, as in my road race. In any case I have a ti version of the saddle in mint condition that I would sell at a very good price!

Bottom Line:
It may not be a good idea for road riding.

Purchased At:   Direct from Koobi

Similar Products Used:   Avocet O40, Richey Vector Pro (on my MTB), Selle Italia Flight

Bike Setup:   Yeti Road Project (55cm)

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from San Fran

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Koobi saddles are the Cadillac of saddles. They ROCK. I have one on each of my bikes. Once you get a Koobi there's no turning back. The Koobi propriety design is superior to anything on the market. And construction by Selle Italia. Beautiful. While fit is a very personal experience, Koobi's design tends to fit most people well. The back of the saddle is flatter than most, not too soft or firm, while the middle groove relieves enough pressure to make for an all day comfortable ride. Order online and get free socks!

Similar Products Used:   selle italia gel

Bike Setup:   Ritchey Niti, Titus RacerX, Serotta Legend Ti Road

Submitted by John Bizango a Cross Country Rider from Ma

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2000

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Still get numb!!! Friends call it the Camel Toe

Bottom Line:
on long rides still get numb, perhaps my Arse is too big. Will try the Specilaized wedge next. 3 Flaming Piles

Bike Setup:   Classified

Submitted by John Lewis a Cross Country Rider from Annandale, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Strengths:    Fit and Finish OK

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable, Too wide, Scuffs easily, silly looking

Bottom Line:
This seat was very uncomfortable for me. Some people like it, I don't, If you want to try one out cheaply send me an email and I'll sell it to you for 20 bucks.

Favorite Trail:   Allamuchy

Purchased At:   Mail Order

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Moots, Selle

Bike Setup:   Moots YBB and Cannondale Hardtail

Submitted by Rich Walsh a Cross Country Rider from Alameda, CA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2000

Strengths:    No numbness, ride for hours. Saddle is lightweight and well-built to withstand abuse.

Bottom Line:
Do yourself a favor. Spend the hundred bucks and have kids someday. I commute and ride the trails on this bike, and the saddle makes for a comfortable ride on any terrain. Check out the website. Koobi has a different saddle to suit every rider type. Sweetest saddle around.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   koobi.com

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager FS+10, Specialized Body Geometry

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-works M4, Marzocchi Bomber suspension fork, Spinergy Spox wheelset, XT

Submitted by Matthew Kinne a Racer from West Stockbridge, MA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2000

Strengths:    Eliminates saddle soreness and the much feared biker's numbness

Bottom Line:
I was forced to take 2 years off from biking and thought I'd never get back due to serious complications from my previous saddle. I had all but given up the sport I loved until I heard about Koobi's split-rail design. I decided to give my groin one last chance. Thanks to Koobi I've been on my bike for over 1,000 miles this summer and won't be stopping any time soon. I can't recommend this product enough to people. Do your crotch a favor and buy one of these saddles.

Bike Setup:   2000 Giant TCR2

Submitted by Jeff Hoilman a Weekend Warrior from Gray, TN

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2000

Strengths:    Split opening, Comfort, Extremely comfortable

Bottom Line:
Last week myself and 2 friends biked the entire Blue Ridge Parkway - 469 miles in the mountains. I never once got "numb" on the entire ride and didn't mind getting back on my bike every morning for the next days trip. I always got numb with the other saddles that I have tried. This saddle is extremely comfortable and worth every penny. The fabrication of the saddle was very good and they also gave me a free pair of socks when I bought the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Koobi

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry, Sella Italia Flite

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200, Ultegra Groupo, Rolf Vector Comp Wheels

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Ukiah, CA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2000

Strengths:    Was comfortable at first now just a realy pain in the...

Weaknesses:    Padding has softened to the point where one is no longer padded from the hard plastic base shell

Bottom Line:
The saddle was great for about 9 months then the padding started to break down- now the padding just compresses to nothing and the hard plastic shell underneath is not at all comfortable. Was this just a bad run or will others out there experience the same pain?

Favorite Trail:   The one out the back door

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   n/a

Submitted by Nate littrell from gardnerville

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Strengths:    cheaper than some other seats

Weaknesses:    hurt my butt bigtime. it just didn't work for me.

Bottom Line:
seats are pesonal. it might be good for you but not for me. I'm not into split seats.

Favorite Trail:   tahoe rim trail

Similar Products Used:   specialized body geometry, selle italia

Bike Setup:   custom frame, it's a long story.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Chester Springs, pa.

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2000

Strengths:    unbelievable comfort-What more is there to say?
light

Weaknesses:    they didn't put their classic koobi stiched emblem on this xenon race saddle...would have been a nice touch

Bottom Line:
if you've been waitng for a race quality ergonomic saddle, this is the best your gonna find for now. This saddle is actually crafted by selle italia, yet maintains koobi's classic splitfit design-you just can't beat that!!

Favorite Trail:   anytrail

Bike Setup:   lightspeed owl hollow, esp 9.0sl, race face, mavic...and koobi xenon

Submitted by larry from so cal, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Strengths:    The most comfortable saddle I've used. 90-day trial period.

Weaknesses:    poor build quality resulting in a lopsided saddle, lack of kevlar edges, rails held on by screws.

Bottom Line:
Extremely comfortable saddle. But the workmanship is below par. The saddle I ordered from Koobi became lopsided after one ride. I rode it lopsided the next 3 rides and it was still comfortable regardless. Yet it looked as though it wouldn't last much longer before the stress on side would break the front rails contact points (held by 4 screws). The lack of kevlar edges made me skeptical of putting it down on its side, in fear of tearing the leather. So I returned it to Koobi under their 90 day warranty.

5 chiles for comfort, 1 for build quality, 3 overall