Home | Reviews | Saddle | Giro

3.72/5 (39 Reviews)

Giro Fizik

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    uncomfortable. This seat is like riding on an iron. Shame on Giro.

Bottom Line:
This seat sucks. It broke after only a dozen rides.

Favorite Trail:   Ho Chi Min

Purchased At:   On Line Bikesmart

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Gel, specialized body works

Bike Setup:   Soulcraft Option 3, XTR, Cane Creek

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    Looks great, extremely light.

Weaknesses:    Very expensive, not very comfortable.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that I can't believe that a fellow reviewer could consider a 50 plus mile ride on this anvil. I'd sooner ask Pele to kick me in the sac for five or six continuous hours. Truth be told, I didn't give this seat the proper break-in period, but my rump just couldn't handle it! Don't put yourself through this, and DO NOT lay down a nickel for this thing at your LBS. If it comes stock on your rig, swap it out before you leave the shop. At this point, I'd trade mine for a used bottle cage. One flaming hemorhoid for (and thanks to) this seat.

Favorite Trail:   Crystal Point

Purchased At:   came stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   Vetta Gel, Trico Gel, Titec Berserkr DH (very nice).

Bike Setup:   Stock 2000 Schwinn Homegrown Comp with bar ends.

Submitted by John a Racer from Goodyear

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    Looks Great. Has Ti rails.

Weaknesses:    Uncomforatble

Bottom Line:
I am not really a racer, but the other categories didn't fit either. I ride my road bike a few times a week on a 15 mile ride to stay in shape to Mt. bike. Anyway, I have a '99 Pave Twintech seat and I can't seem to find a way to make it comfortable. I am 6' and 165 lbs, if this thing is too narrow for me then it must really have a limited market. I will tolerate it until I can afford another seat. If I was going to do a long ride (50+ miles) I would put my old San Marcos SA 600 saddle back on, which is also uncomfortable. Come to think of it, I may do that anyway.
Of course, saddles are very subjective and what is uncomforatble to me may be fine for someone else.

Bike Setup:   Stock '93 Trek 2100 road bike

Submitted by Marcus Gregory a Racer from NY, NY

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    I just can't get comfortable on it, there's no way around it, it's just not the right shape for me. It's made well enough and I have the rest of the bike set up correctly. No matter what I do after an hour in the saddle it get's uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
Not a good saddle for me!

Purchased At:   Came as part of a kit

Similar Products Used:   Always rode on a Rolls, going to try Selle Italia Gel

Bike Setup:   Fausto Coppi, Dura Ace, Rolf Sestriere's.

Submitted by Doug Asano a Weekend Warrior from Portland, ME

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight
Great looks
Firm feel

Weaknesses:    Delicate leather

Bottom Line:
Well, for the first 3 months, I loved this saddle. After an initial break in period, it's comfortable, light and looks great. After logging 2000 miles this summer on it, I never once had a problem with numbness or pressure points.

Then I took it to Alaska for a 5 day, 500 mile charity ride from Fairbanks to Anchorage. Granted, the weather and conditions were miserable (snow, sleet, torrential rain, gravel, rough roads) and the saddle was probably not designed for such extreme conditions, but within a day, the leather had bleed its black pigment all over my shorts & rain pants and the leather at the nose had peeled off!!! There's no way I should have to duct tape a $75 saddle within 6 months of purchase - I don't care if I take it to hell and back.

Next time, I'm buying a Selle Italia.

Bike Setup:   in the process of buying a new Italian steel road bike w/ Campy Chorus 10spd & Mavic Open Pro wheels

Submitted by Jeff Blume a Racer from Boston

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Strengths:    Pretty Light. Long rails smooth things out a bit more from flex compaired to standard ones. Great looking, and the gel version isn't nearly as gaudy as the Flite Gel.

Weaknesses:    Not for wide pelvis people. Some might not like the very long nose. Retails for about $100 which is steep.

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to point something out to all of those who complain about weight (not that it's high or anything at 250-280 grams): Since the rails on the saddle protrude from the bottom of the shell further than standard saddles by about an inch, you don't have to have your seatpost out as far and can therefore cut more material off your post which saves an additional 15-40 grams depending on how much your post sucks. This is a great saddle for people with narrow pelvis' like myself. It really contours my body better than previous saddles. And if you've got any taste at all, after one look you'll accept that this is the sweetest looking saddle of all. I haven't had any confort issues which I have with others, and I'm not standing up in the midle of the ride to re-situate myself as much as I used to. The version with the twin-tech gel is a great saddle for the aesthetically concious racer type who has narrow hips. A bit more expensive than the Flite Gel, but this one has my preference.

Favorite Trail:   I ride the roads...

Similar Products Used:   Flite, San Marco made Bontrager Saddles, Specialized Body Geometry Comp, and some crappy no-name brand one which made my nads sore for day's at a time.

Bike Setup:   Binchi EV2 with 10 speed record.

Submitted by Scott Ahrens a Racer from Eagle River, Alaska

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2000

Strengths:    Easy on the nads
Good for narrow hips
Light
Cool looks

Weaknesses:    The sides of the saddle wore out quickly

Bottom Line:
Ok, you gotta get used to the hard seat, so you better get your butt hardened with some more riding, you whiners.

The narrow profile keeps it out of the way.

I guess the crooked swimmer problem varies from person to person, but I've never had numbness with it, not even on 3 hr. roller rides (ugh).

Favorite Trail:   Too many

Similar Products Used:   Concor (that'll give you crooked swimmers...)
Spec.

Bike Setup:   Eddy Merckx Ti Ex

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from J-Town, MI

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2000

Strengths:    It looks really cool and all the guys who see me at the trail head think that I must be really fast cause I have nice components on my bike. I got them fooled! At least I am a cool mountain biker...

Weaknesses:    It isn't as light as the other guy's saddle who just started riding last week. Oh yeah, its not color co-ordinated to the rest of my bike but that is my fault.

Bottom Line:
You better take my work for it and go out and buy this saddle. You owe it to yourself to do it.

Favorite Trail:   cannonsburg state game area?

Similar Products Used:   a yellow seat that had suspension. The suspension in the seat blew out about as fast as every suspension fork on the market is programmed to do.

Bike Setup:   All of the latest coolest parts that make me so fast!

Submitted by Alan a Racer from USAFA, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2000

Strengths:    looks, price (got a new one for $30), low profile

Weaknesses:    cuts off circulation to vital areas

Bottom Line:
it works well but you have to stand up occasionally

Similar Products Used:   selle italia tri-matica

Bike Setup:   fuji roubaix

Submitted by Kim a Cross Country Rider from Martigny

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Strengths:    Comfort, looks, quality, long term health in the butt.

Weaknesses:    Cost, initial strage feeling.

Bottom Line:
Firm saddle, at first feels hard BUT if you intend to do
rides over an hour or so, your bits that normally go numb
will thank you. Puts the pressure where is can be taken,
relieves it from the important parts. Gone back to a
crossbow on the MTB, 3 rides and already started trying to
locate a Fizik... will take a little getting used to.

Favorite Trail:   From Martigny? Pick a road :-)

Similar Products Used:   Crossbow, Turbo, many others

Bike Setup:   Merida 909 carbon and KHS Montana Pro

Submitted by Will from Baton Rouge

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Strengths:    for a bony butt like me itz da bomb

Weaknesses:    none of my bike came w/one

Bottom Line:
All you tall bony azz crackas know what I'm talking about. Just enough padding to compensate for not havin any junk in yo trunk, And it don't get in your way. The nose is big enough so as not to accidentally violate yourself (you know what I mean). Pave on dee road, Nisene on da dirt, and if yo but is bony an wide get the Vitesse (don't worry it's not pH balanced for the ladies, you can use one too)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized(none o' dat cut out bizzness), Vetta TT

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Mtb (silver seat)
Specialized road bike (red seat)
Schwinn cx bike (orange seat)

Submitted by jason borden a Cross-Country Rider from houston

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2000

Strengths:
strong and light

Weaknesses:
I almost lost my wang dude

Bottom Line:
This thing is an excellent quality saddle that may destroy your nads to the point of no return. I give it one star for excellent workmanship, the design is aweful.

ho chi minh

less than 1 month

Only ride Selle Italia Ti Flite now on my road bikes and MTBs

Schwinn Homegrown Factory full suspension
SID fork and rear shock

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View CA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1999

Strengths:
It's good on the nuts. It has a relatively flat profile and the padding is firm, so that one ends up on the sit-bones rather than on soft tissue.

Weaknesses:
It's a firm saddle. My Avocet is more comfy, but not as kind to the family jewels.

Bottom Line:
The Fizik Pave came with my Trek 5200T. I expected to swap out this saddle for my Avocet 40R, but although it's not as comfy, my nuts do much better with this saddle, so I continue to use it.

3 months

Avocet 40R, WTB SST, Specialized Body Comp.

Stock '99 Trek 5200T

Submitted by Tom Rajala a Racer from Okinawa Japan

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Strengths:
comfortable, great scuff pads

Weaknesses:
the leather is pealing off on the sides just above the pave logo on the nose, only after 3 months of use

Bottom Line:
the saddle came as origainal equipment on my trek, and like everything else I have had to change out the crap that trek has put on this bike, so needless to say I am going back to salle and recommend that you do the same!

spider alley, la luege

3 months

salle italia, specialized

trek

Submitted by Jaryn Finch a Racer from Rochester

Date Reviewed: September 7, 1999

Strengths:
comfortable, great looking, never the usual :), has a nice high profile, leaving planty of room between the post and the saddle, makes it easy to get on and off, very aesthetically pleasing. also liked the markings on the saddle rails... great for posistioning when you buy another saddle. the ellastomer shocks also really do help. the leather on the saddle is also very well put on, and the scuff guards are screwed on rather then the usual glue or staples, makes them replacable

Weaknesses:
none that I can think of

Bottom Line:
I love this saddle, not only do I own a black vitesse, but I also recently bought a nisene with the cow lether design, not only awesome looking, but very comfortable, even for me female butt. I'll never go back.

1 Year

i work in a bike shop *shrug*

*gasp* a pinarello asolo road frame with campy

Which shoe: fizik or giro?

Hi i need a shoe for next months 12 hr race. I have reduced my list to either fizik m3 or giro code. Both have comments on thier comfortability and stiff soles. Does anyone have any experience with either or both. I have quite wide flat feet. CheersRead More »

Fizik Thar 29er saddle, worth it?

Hi everyone, so I just broke my henge expert saddle and I am looking for a replacement. I'm riding a 2013 Specialized Carve Expert with a 23" inch size and it felt great with the specialized henge that I was running until it broke. However, I've been reading about the 29er specific Fizik Thar and wa ... Read More »

WTB: Fizik Tundra 2 OEM seat

Good crash on my last endurance race. Broke my Tundra 2 seat on my 2011 Anthem 29er. If anyone has one sitting around they would like to reasonably part with please let me know. I have the blue / white Anthem with the blue / white seat though black would be fine. The red one might even look OK to ... Read More »

Fizik and Sidi sizing ???

I currently wearing Sidi Size 41 MTB shoes....I'm interested in getting a Fizik M5 MTB shoes online. Are they both the same in the sizing department ? What size should I get for the Fizik ? Thanks....Read More »

fizik and giro shoes

Anyone try fizik or giros high end mtn shoes? I was wondering how they compare in size to specialized s works shoes. thanksRead More »