Home | Reviews | Saddle | Giro

4.22/5 (55 Reviews)

Giro Fizik (Nisene)

Submitted by Joseph a Cross Country Rider from NE Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2005

Strengths:    Good looks, pretty light for a MTB saddle. I found it to be very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    The plastic nose piece creaks against the rails at times.

Bottom Line:
First, I realize saddles are very personal things, so what works for my 5'11" 220# frame, may not work for you.

That said, other than my $20 Aireon, this is the best saddle I've used as far as comfort goes. Even more so than the $90 Koobi on my road bike.

I'd recommend it, especially at a sub $50 price.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Aireon Pro, Koobi Enduro

Bike Setup:   Fetish Cycles D&S Model with XT/Avid/SRAM gear.

Submitted by ANDREW a Weekend Warrior from BATON ROUGE, LA. USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    LOOKS, DURABILITY, COMFORT, SHAPE

Weaknesses:    BAD PRESS

Bottom Line:
MAYBE IT'S JUST BECAUSE I HAVE A PLUSH DUAL SUS, OR MAYBE ALL THE COMPLAINERS DON'T KNOW HOW TO ADJUST THE SEAT. I THINK THE SADDLE IS GREAT FOR MY 245LB ASS. THE TOP IS DURABLE LOOKING LEATHER. THE SHELL IS CONTOURED TO MAKE MOVING BEHIND THE SADDLE EASY. THE SHAPE IS PERFECT FOR TRANSITIONS WITHOUT CATCHING YOUR SHORTS. MY SADDLE IS NOT EVEN BROKEN IN YET. I CAN REMEMBER READING SOMETHING ABOUT ERGONOMICS WITH REGARDS TO INITIAL COMFORT VS LONG TERM COMFORT THROUGH PROPER SUPPORT. WELL, I CAN RIDE FOREVER ON THIS SADDLE WITHOUT A SORE GROIN OR LOWER BACK PAIN. SEATS ARE VERY PERSONAL, SO IF IT FEELS BAD, CHUNK IT. BUT BEFORE YOU DO, ADJUST IT PROPERLY WITH THE HELP OF YOUR LBS. POST HEIGHT, HANDLEBAR REACH, AND SEAT TILT ARE ALL INTERELATED AND IMPORTANT FOR COMFORT.

Similar Products Used:   BONTRAGER

Bike Setup:   STOCK SEAT ON 2005 IRON HORSE HOLLOWPOINT EXPERT

Submitted by Litor Puruit a Racer from Michigan

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2005

Strengths:    High quality construction, nice looks , nice leather , firm,light weght

Weaknesses:    This seat takes a while to break in, a little too firm ,

Bottom Line:
I got this seat for a good deal new , I got the cro-moly seat. This seat took awhile to break in and even still it is kind of firm , I was going to get rid of it and try and buy something better more comfortable but I read one review sayin to tilt the seat down a bit because I always put my seats level and it seems to have worked. Most people that ride my bike say the seat is like concrete but maybe the seat has formed to me I don't know..I would like to try the Fizik plateau because I read it is more soft than this firm seat.. Bottom line this is the best I have tried so far

Purchased At:   all sports

Similar Products Used:   selle wing , serfas monaco RS,spg foam

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hard tail

Submitted by Pete a Downhiller from Toronto

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2005

Strengths:    looks sexy. relatively light weight. generally comfortable for a light saddle.

Weaknesses:    It broke.

Bottom Line:
I broke the damn plastic shell on it after about 2 years. There's a 3 inch crack all the way around the rear-left rail entry point. I liked it up until then. And good luck to me on the warranty ) ;

Bike Setup:   Balfa minuteman. SC shiver. Cro-mo cranks.

Submitted by Zowie Newton a Cross Country Rider from Huntly

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2005

Strengths:    I find this saddle so comfortable, I can ride 6 hours straight and have no soreness or tenderness. I am 190lb+ on a steel hardtail and this saddle has not made a sound despite plenty of abuse. I find it easy to get off the back and back on no snags or bruises. Really you just need to say comfort ....comfort ....comfort. Leather finish is in great condition dispite 100+ hours of use and plenty of abuse.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't come with a refrigerated cup-holder

Bottom Line:
Sooo Comfortable and Ridable. If you spend time in the saddle grinding up hills and also plenty of it off the back, you do not need to look past this Italian Gem.

Purchased At:   With Bike

Similar Products Used:   Vetta TRI, Velo OM

Bike Setup:   KHS TEAM, Grimeca System 8, XTR Drivetrain, Truvative Stylo Crankset, SunRingle wheels

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2004

Strengths:    Good shape

Weaknesses:    In a word OWW! The padding is too soft for 200lbs plus riders. I feel like I am riding directly on the shell. The cover is way too grippy. Makes it hard to move around which just makes the comfort issues worse.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to like this seat and got what I thought was a good price. The more I ride it though the more uncomfortable it becomes. It feels good initially because the shape lets you pedal efficiently. After a while though the sit bones start to complain. I am now at the point where I am so sore that even sitting at my desk hurts. The cover also is way to grippy. The Boys have gotten squished a couple of times when trying to move around on the saddle, because my shorts hung up. It might be a good choice of saddle for a light weight rider who doesn't move around much but otherwise I think this thing is much to painful to ride.

Purchased At:   Bow cycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialzed BG, Velo, Fizik Vitesse, Titec Berzerker KXC, Selle Italia Optalink and Flite

Bike Setup:   02 Enduro

Submitted by Don a Racer from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, well made, good materials

Weaknesses:    I have read that this saddle is prone to creaking, but this has not been a problem for me.

Bottom Line:
The thing about saddles is that no matter how they look, you never know how they will treat you until you've ridden them for a while. This one was no exception, but with a twist. I finally learned to adjust it with the nose a quarter-inch down. It was like day and night for my poor a** - the punishment was over! In relation to similar saddles, I think this one offers good value.

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia

Bike Setup:   C'dale hardtail

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Mountains of TN

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2004

Strengths:    Comfortable, easy on/off the back, nose is perfect for sitting right on it for the steep sections

Weaknesses:    little long of a break-in, but then again, good things come to those who wait

Bottom Line:
This seat is just about the best seat I have come across. While it took a bit of time for me to break it in to conform to the contours of my rear, once I did, it has been well worth it. I have the plain chromo railed, Black nytex (?) top with leather glide area, and while the nytex has faded to a nice worn in looking tannish color, the rest of the saddle has held up well to all sorts of abuse. I love the fact that the rear end of the saddle is broad enough to give support, but not so broad that you can't get off the back in adverse situations. Plus the saddle narrows out nicely towards the front so that you don't have the shoulders of the addle rubbing uncomfortably on your inner thighs, and the nose is padded nicely so that sitting on the nose for those extra steep climbs is no real issue. It may be a saddle that requires a certain rider style/body type, but all I know is it works for me.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Speed V and SST.X, plus demoed countless others

Bike Setup:   Airborne Corsair, XT/LX mix, RS Duke SL

Submitted by Splijin a Weekend Warrior from VA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Strengths:    Light, comfy, and durable.

Weaknesses:    Retail price can be a bit high, but there are usually some good deals if you look around. Found mine new on eBay for $15!

Bottom Line:
Great quality saddle thats firm and supportive - can ride for hours and hours without any discomfort. Didn't take more than one or two rides to get accustomed to it.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Expert

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F400

Submitted by Geoffrey a Cross Country Rider from Westport, Ct, USA

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2003

Strengths:    Light, durable, extremely comfortable

Weaknesses:    none I can think of

Bottom Line:
This is an extremely comfortable saddle, well it is for me at least. I agree that it takes a little while to get used to, but after it breaks in it is like no other, it is so comfortable, by far the most comfortable saddle ever.

Favorite Trail:   All of Them

Bike Setup:   202 Schwinn Homegrown Comp w/ a mantou mars fork

Submitted by John W. a Cross Country Rider from Missoula, MT

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    flat profile, relatively light, comfy, soft nose is good for climbing.

Weaknesses:    could be a tad lighter

Bottom Line:
So far the best saddle I've tried, and I've tried a lot. I've had a long time problem with numbness that no saddle has been able to completely alliviate, but this one comes the closest. I have the standard CrMo railed Nisense that came stock on my Scalpel, but I have just ordered the Ti railed Nisense CP. The Nisene has a very flat profile which works best for me. If you prefer a saddle with a pronounced dip (flite, WTB, Terry Liberator) then this probably won't be the saddle for you.

Favorite Trail:   can't pick just one

Purchased At:   Open Road

Similar Products Used:   Serfas Dual Density Pro, Specialized BG Comp, Terry Liberator, Selle Italia Tri Matic, Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am, SDG Grand Prix, SDG Bel Aire, WTB Speed V, WTB Laser V Stealth, Brooks Swift (road), Coda Competition, Vetta TTT.

Bike Setup:   C-dale Scalpel 1000 w/XT drivetrain and eggbeater Ti pedals.

Submitted by Bill a Racer from Littleton, New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2002

Strengths:    I set my seats back pretty far, being a tall guy. I have been impressed with its strength and comfort.

Weaknesses:    Something had to give. It just happened to be the Titanium rails. Also, the scuff guards broke off after one year.

Bottom Line:
Four years with one seat on a hardtail, riding and racing on the best XC trails in the country. Pretty good, I must say.

Favorite Trail:   Coronary Bypass