Home | Reviews | Saddle | Giro

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Giro Atlas

Submitted by Corstian Devos a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2005

Strengths:    5 years on the same saddle. Check out my review in 2000. Same saddle 3 moves, new city, different country -- 4 frames later. One tear in seat from assoverteakettle episode. Spare Atlas saddle on the shelf in the garage, bought last fall. (Hence the $45.00 purchase price.)

Weaknesses:    NONE!!! (OK if you are a weight weenie seat not good, @ 6' 3" 230 150-200 grams here or there ain't makin' or breakin' me.)

Bottom Line:
If you like to ride for hours over all kinds of terrain this is your seat. The ability to shift weight without having to stand up is great, especially on those steep long hills where a big guy like me can easily apply too much power lose traction and spin out. My value rating has changed from 2000 with the cost of the seat decreasing. 5 flamers all around for this baby.

Favorite Trail:   Still love anything technical

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   I have been on this saddle for 5 years now. Can't remember the earlier seats. All the bad memories have been erased by time and comfort.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC AC-1 with SH XT shifters, XT Rr D, XT Frt D, XT rear hub, Hayes mechanical disc brakes, SH PD-M858 pedals, SH Deore LX crankset, Axiom 7071 alum handlebars, firm springs in the Judy XCs (still going strong), Black Spire Ring Gear Protector, rear tire one of my two original WTB tyrannoraptors (one tough tire), front tire Continental Twister pro and of course the Atlas saddle. Bike is built for punishment not prettiness.

Submitted by Al Ogdon a Downhiller from Illinois

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Strengths:    Good comfort

Weaknesses:    Large and heavy

Bottom Line:
A great deal for the money. Fizik has supplied me with years of good saddles.

Favorite Trail:   Argon

Purchased At:   Spokes

Similar Products Used:   tioga seat

Bike Setup:   Wheeler downhill

Submitted by Pat McCrotch a Downhiller from Waterloo

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Strengths:    Good shape, about the best for sliding around on in corners.
Fairly comfy, it only starts to get bad after a full day of riding. Good at saving privates from those messed up no-footers. Also, this seat absolutely does not bend, the rails are MASSIVE. Also, it looks sw-heet, fit and finish are TOPS. I always wanted to be like Cully and Shaums...

Weaknesses:    While the shape is pretty comfy, it's not after a few hours. It starts getting real bad at the end of a long ride. Also, the "scuff guards" should be called "useless breakable plastic things" because I broke one right off today. That's a stupid feature. Also, the seat cost me $120 canadian, not cool at all!

Bottom Line:
This seat is good but it's expensive and breaks and not as comfy as a bontrager. But it is well finished and is nice and big... I like it.

Favorite Trail:   Sweet St

Similar Products Used:   Azonic, tioga (azonic is the way to go)

Bike Setup:   00 Norco VPS 3, Z1 QR20 etc, black spire rock ring etc.

Submitted by Dances With Elephants from UK

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2000

Strengths:    Length
Shape
8mm rails - strong
Interchangeable covers (bike tart)

Weaknesses:    Less hardwearing than I expected
8mm rails - don't fit every seatpost

Bottom Line:
It's ultra-comfortable, everyone here agrees. It doesn't get in the way of pedalling, and it allows you to shift yourself around. The strange fingernail-like front shape seems to make it easier to pedal 'on the nose' but possibly is a little less padded than you'd like.

The body of the seat is firmly but well padded, and it's saved my ass more times than I can mention, especially in those eye-watering moments when you land with one foot still flailing around for the pedal.

A warning for hardtail suspension post users - the post may not like the 8mm rails of the Atlas.

It's not as heavy as you might expect, and the covers are interchangeable - a handy thing if you like to coordinate, like we do.

The problem is that the covers don't cover the areas that hit the ground. Ergo, the seat gets scuffed and even torn pretty quickly if you are in a habit of bailing out regularly.

All in all, a top DH seat, but you may have to replace it regularly if you bail. Recommended over most of the competition.

Price is high for a mere seat, but Giro seats are at the higher end of the price range for a reason - they're well designed (except for that cover problem).

Favorite Trail:   Going down?

Similar Products Used:   Ooh, loads

Bike Setup:   Once again, quite a few - but without lying or being silly like Mr SID (what utter idiot puts an Airlines shifter on a Tanasi?) one of the bikes the seat is on is a dual slalom hardtail frame with LX/XT/RaceFace, Hope Open 2/Magura, Mavic 519/Hope Bulb hubs, Stratos FR4 and other urban-tastic parts. Another setup which the seat is on is a DH frame with Stratos MX6 (no we aren't paid by Stratos), LX/XTR/RaceFace, Mavic 321/Gustav hubs, Magura Gustav, you get the idea.

Submitted by Corstian a Downhiller from Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2000

Strengths:    Marvelously long platform upon which to shift your position. Extremely comfortable. (You won't notice your butt aching.)

Weaknesses:    For most the price will cause tremors and seizures.

Bottom Line:
Number one, this saddle is awesomely comfortable. I have literally spent hours riding without any numb bum, aches, or unpleasant sensations pervading my crotch. Number two, I ride the big 20.5 inch frame. On hills it can be a real chore to get my weight shifted forward enough to keep front to rear balance and control. The length of this seat allows me to shift forward enough to maintain balance and control while avoiding the feeling that something is sneaking up my sphincter. I can say that this seat has literally made certain hills possible for me. I would have to say that any long seat would have done the job, but I just can't remember anything as comfortable.

As a value I have to give it 3 flamers only because the price hurts. I have to say I got what I paid for but it came at a stiff price. Overall I have to give this sucker 5 flamers because it gives everything I wanted and the company promised. Comfort and a long platform to shift your weight while riding downhill.

Favorite Trail:   anything technical

Similar Products Used:   Can't remember them all. Unfortunately my butt does.

Bike Setup:   Giant Warp DS-1 with SH XT shifters, XT Rr D, SH PD-M858 clip pedals, SH Deore LX crankset, firm springs in the Judy XCs, Black Spire Ring Gear Protector and of course the Atlas saddle.

Submitted by Bryan SID a Weekend Warrior from Lion City

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2000

Strengths:    it is quite light and rugged....quite well built and designed..

Weaknesses:    slips very easily when going on trails

Bottom Line:
I think that if u have a lot of cash to splurge around....get it..if not ...don't even think of it.

Favorite Trail:   Ulu Sembawang