Home | Reviews | Saddle | Fizik

Fizik Vitesse Saddle

4.44/5 (16 Reviews)

• 74 mm. titanium high frame for extended range of adjustmnet and improved flexibility.
  • Multi-thickness padding for improved comfort.
  • Ergonomically designed platform for female anatomy.
  • Twin Teck Version ($110): petented gel distributes pressure and reduces the risk of numbness and soreness.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by changeswillcome a Weekend Warrior from Dallas Texas

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    comfortable: easy to slide back and forth

Bottom Line:
    I like it good enough for me!

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine

Purchased At:   blue bonnet bikes le

Similar Products Used:   nothing to compare to: first seat

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Saltamonte Small frame

Submitted by Ian Wright a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne Australia

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2006

Strengths:    Originally it was marketed a unisex saddle, I notice now its marketed as a womans saddle with is surprising given its length and the width is not substantially more that the arionne from the same stable.

Weaknesses:    No scuff guards both saddles have got some scuffing care of my habit of track standing ever set of lights and sometimes stuffing it up, ie, falling off.

Bottom Line:
    A great saddle. I've got two bikes and two of these saddles, in a word they are super comfortable, no sore bits and I've been riding with these now for 2 years. They are the titanium railed version with some kind of gel (HP version).
    Would recommend it to anyone male (with exception of thin build like a marathon runner) or female who is looking for a comfortable saddle. The 'arione' is a simular saddle however is more expensive so the 'vitesse' is good value in the Fizik range.

Purchased At:   Le Tour Ringwood

Similar Products Used:   Selle San Marco

Bike Setup:   Avanti Carbonio Pro and Specialised Allez Pro comp

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Vallejo, CA, US

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Strengths:    very comfortable, one of the most comfortable saddles I've ever had.

Weaknesses:    within the first month of riding, the skin peeled off, starting at the back stitching... And yesterday the nose broke off. Now it's junk.

Bottom Line:
    I couldn't handle another one of these: broke my heart and my other parts. Just snapped in half at the nose. Ok, I weigh 200 lbs, but I use a shock post. Shouldn't a seat last longer than a few months? If you're tiny and don't mind the shredded leather at the back then go for it. Otherwise, be careful: it will give way and it will get ugly.

Purchased At:   Missing Link, Berkeley

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude

Submitted by June a Cross Country Rider from Chicago area

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Strengths:    Its italian. The website is too much fun. you can pick your own model,color, saddle, rails, and padding preference.
    Very light.
    very comfortable on the first ride.

Weaknesses:    cost ? but I'll pay the 20 bucks more if it means that all summer long I dont have to think about my saddle.
    Puts it in perspective.

Bottom Line:
    wow this saddle! Esthetics are WAY off board. My new saddle is just durn pretty!! Out of the box, the seat is so pretty and lite! I got the Chamelean Blue. You almost dont want to sit on it! I think I'll just have to get some white shorts now.
    My hubby instantly compared it to his Sella Italia Flight. its KIND of similar in appearance...but if you measure the Vitesse its slightly wider in the back for a woman's seat bones. It is also lighter, thinner and ...well..prettier.
    I was really happy that the second I got on the bike I felt a huge difference in feeling. It was like Aaaaahh! I felt cradled while I was riding!
    I am riding a lot now on my trainer so a comfy road saddle is a welcome relief. That Terry saddle is GONE.
    I rode on it for the first time and didnt even think about it. It was INVISIBLE to me. so awesome. I am really happy with my purchase.

The FI ZI K website is fun to use. Just waiting and finally getting a BOX from Italy is fun too ! Italy makes good saddles. Vente' !
    I got the 'bare basic' model. Just the forgiving Ti rails and no padding. it is the 80 dollar one.

My mountain bike has an Avocet O2 on it . That saddle is really comfy for me. I did a whole 6 hour series on it and never ONCE felt any pain. I am sure it was the Ti rails . But for a road saddle its almost too wide.
    For my road bike I wanted an elegant saddle that was like my Avocet, but I wanted a lighter, narrower back to allow greater freedom of movement when I am in the drops. I can see this would be comfy on a mountain bike too. However, I am a bit worried about the other reviews that it might not be so durable.
    Time will only tell.

If you are intermediate or a beginner. I would probably still recommend the Avocet O2 as a saddle to consider. But .. I really think if you are a frequent flyer, you will really like the high performance and comfort of the FiZik Vitesse saddle.
    I hope this review helps someone ! at least go look at their website. its too fun!

Favorite Trail:   John Muir south trail, Wisconsin

Purchased At:   online imported from Italy

Similar Products Used:   Avocet O2
    Terry Butterfly

Bike Setup:   Road . Litespeed Tuscany
    Mountain. Litespeed Toccoa, Sid fork and Thud Buster seat post.

Submitted by Barb M a Cross Country Rider from Tewksbury, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    lightweight, extremely comfortable; easy to sit and ride and easy to slide off the back for steep declines

Weaknesses:    leather pulled off at the nose

Bottom Line:
    This is the best saddle out there for women. It is amazingly comfortable, but not at all bulky. It is a bit pricey, which is why I decided to purchase a cheaper women's specific saddle after wearing out my Vitesse - the WTB Speed She - and that was a huge mistake. I have now placed an order for a new Vitesse and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I HIGHLY recommend this saddle.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike online

Similar Products Used:   WTB Speed She Race

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro

Submitted by Fiona Bromley a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2002

Strengths:    The most comfortable saddle you'll ever ride on. Firm seat and not too wide. Suits my sit bones perfectly.

Weaknesses:    No scuff guards and the skin is peeling off. Fizik don't put scuff guards or thigh glides on their women's saddles which is a real pity.

Bottom Line:
    It's a great saddle. I've been riding mine now for 4 years. It's the titanium railed version - no gel. The first time I put it on my bike, the next day I rode 210kms - no problem - comfy as! You won't find a better looking, better performing saddle than this one.

Not the most durable saddle in terms of scuffing and the skin peeling off - not sure how the other Fizik saddles (men's) perform - but scuff & thigh guides would be a good idea.

Favorite Trail:   Kinglake/Mt Buller

Purchased At:   John Kennedy, Black Rock

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite (too narrow) - Selle Prima

Bike Setup:   Road Bike - Pinarello/Campy gear & wheels

Submitted by Alicia P a Racer from Brooklyn, NY USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Strengths:    Very comfortable and looks great.

Weaknesses:    None, but it would be nice if it had scuff guards.

Bottom Line:
    This is the most comfortable and by far the best saddle I have ever owned. I wish I had gotten two! I have the cromoly rails and it's still super light. Less cush is better and this saddle proves it. I rode on this saddle for six hours this past weekend and not once did I have any pain-NONE!! The skinny nose is great for steep short climbs too. I didn't think a saddle this comfortable even existed but now I'm defintely going to get one for my road bike . BUY THIS SADDLE!!

Purchased At:   Excel Sports Boulder-ON SALE!!

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Trans Am, Bontrager FS 2000 WSD

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel

Submitted by bill whitener from rome, ga, usa

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2001

Strengths:    most comfortable saddle i've ridden

Weaknesses:    why is the skin peeling off!!!!

Bottom Line:
    this is the most comfortable saddle i've ridden. i've ordered two more of them in case they are discontinued, but i am very concerned about the peeling.

Purchased At:   Ordinary bicycle

Bike Setup:   trek 5500

Submitted by mhills a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    Good looking, not as wide as other women specific saddles, nice flex, COMFORTABLE!

Weaknesses:    No scuff gurds at this price??

Bottom Line:
    I am reviewing the 2001 Fizik Vitesse designed by Giro with the Twin Tech Gel and titanium rails. Wow...I took it out of the box, put it on my bike and proceeded to ride down the road in my street clothes. It was so comfortable right there and then! With bike shorts it's a dream and I haven't even broken it in yet. I know saddles are a personal thing so just to give you an idea, I am 5'4 115lbs. I ride almost daily 25-40 miles - mostly an urban commute on potholed roads. The saddle has great flex. I can only deduct a chili because a saddle this expensive should have some scuff guards. This is by far, the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. I will buy another just to have on hand in case it gets discontinued.

Similar Products Used:   Avocet O2 40, Selle Trimatic, Terry Gella Bella, Bontrager 2000

Bike Setup:   Univega Modo Vincere

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2001

Strengths:    Comfortable. Good looking. More so than any other saddle I've ever had, it does actually act as a little suspension system.

Weaknesses:    The edges do indeed scuff. I have the unpadded version, so yes it can feel a bit Spartan at times. Whether it be a strength or a weakness, the saddle feels like an orthopedic chair: more rational and elegant than luxurious.

Bottom Line:
    Yes, this is another man who's taken to using a woman's saddle. My wife originally bought it (a tan one) for her road bike. She hated it, so I decided to give it a try. Sheer delight! No numbness, except during the most hardy (and most blazing hot) of rides. It feels light and crisp beneath you. The only time it feels uncomfortable, soreness-wise, is during the final sections of long, grinding climbs. I now have one for the road and one for the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Guadalasca

Similar Products Used:   Many and sundry over the years, from Brooks Professionals (ouch!) to the Vitesse's male cousins (mini-torture devices all).

Bike Setup:   Four year old Schwinn S-30. Year old Colnago Dream Plus. I'm more of a roadie than a mountain biker, but I enjoy both.

Submitted by royce a Cross Country Rider from south adkota

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2000

Strengths:    really cool looking,comfortable,light

Weaknesses:    expensive,cow hide is wearing off

Bottom Line:
    this is the only brand of saddle I will ever buy again.whats the deal,did I fall in love with a girls seat or what?this thang is great to ride on(no numb tool for me thanks)it has comfort all day.I bought it because my lbs recommended it,and because it had a cowhide cover.I like the ida of some dumb ass cow giving her life so I can be stylin on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   centenial

Purchased At:   pedal and paddle pierre,sd

Similar Products Used:   wtb,avocet,nashbar,giant

Bike Setup:   xt,sram 9.0

Submitted by Kathy a Cross Country Rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2000

Strengths:    Comfort, comfort, comfort!

Weaknesses:    Durability,
    Bleeding black dye

Bottom Line:
    I moved my original review here from the generic Giro Fizik section, and will also give an update. I now have 3 of these on the road, tandem and hartail mtb. I've got several thousand combined miles on them. I still love them, but the leather is wearing through on the two I ride the most. I wrote to Giro about putting scuff guards on an mtb model, but got a brush-off. Even on the road bike, the leather is wearing through where my thighs rub, and my thighs aren't that big - I'm only 120lbs. As a result, my new mtb got a Selle Italia Max Flite TA saddle (is anyone at Giro listening?)

Original comments:
    This is the most comfortable saddle I've found in years! I had a men's Vetta VSA shock absorber saddle, but the gel turned to rock last winter. The new ones with the vinyl covers just aren't the same. So, I tried a Vitesse on my road bike and loved it, so I got one for off-road, too. The rails are relatively tall and long, so that provides some give. The padding is firm where your sit-bones go, and softer where your soft-tissue sits. The shell is also recessed, reducing pressure on soft tissue. I always found the nose-cutouts of Terry and copy-cat saddles to be too far forward to be useful. The saddle is also not really wide like so many women's seats. The only negative is that the black leather dye rubs off on my thighs and soaks through my shorts on to me when I sweat a lot. I'm usually headed straight for the shower after a sweaty ride anyway, so this is not a really big deal.

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Max Flite TA, Vetta VSA, Avocet, several others

Bike Setup:   C'dale SR500, Titus RacerX, Fisher Montare, C'dale road tandem

Submitted by Lynn a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2000

Strengths:    Comfort, Looks

Weaknesses:    Cost, durability

Bottom Line:
    Ladies, the more miles you log, the more you'll appreciate this saddle. Yeah, it's expensive, but what's a sore crotch worth especially if you still have 20-40 miles left in the days ride? I've had the titanium (without gel) on my road bike for almost three years, numerous centuries, and almost weekly weekend rides of 50+ miles, and I'd be afraid to ride anything else. If you've not really careful about where you lean your bike, or if you crash, the edges of the saddle get really chewed up. I e-mailed Giro to see if they had any intention of offering scuff guards for the women's model and the answer is NO. I recently replaced my road saddle with a new one (just cause I couldn't stand looking at the torn edges and faded areas of the navy blue saddle) and put the beat up one on my mountain bike...just as comfortable as ever, but it's a little more difficult to slide off the back of the saddle 'cause it's so wide. Thinking of getting a Nisene. I'd give it 5 chilis for road and 3 for mountain...if it only had scuff guards!