Home | Reviews | Saddle | Fizik

Weight : 250 grams MSRP : $129.99

• Rail: Titanium

Submitted by mharon47 a Weekend Warrior from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, Aggressive

Bottom Line:
Great saddle for how cheap it is. I bought it on clearance, but even at full price its a light well made saddle. Not very padded if thats what your looking for.

Favorite Trail:   Bergen Peak

Purchased At:   Arapahoe Cyclery

Bike Setup:   2008 Specialized Rockhopper, with gobi xm saddle, crankbrothers eggbeaters, maxis tires.

Submitted by yetibetty a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2010

Strengths:    Good lenght and nice Ti rails

Weaknesses:    The most uncumfortable saddle I have ever owned

Very over priced

Bottom Line:
You can get better comfort and build quality for a lot less money.
If you have an Italian waiter sized rear end then you may be OK but anyone with a normal sized behind will find it very hard and narrow.
I gave it a good try and moved it to all sorts of angles, slid it backwards and forwards on the rails but no joy.

Treat those buttocks to something better and save some money at the same time.

Favorite Trail:   The Ridgeway

Purchased At:   Evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   A few different Specialized BG saddles

Bike Setup:   07 Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Oldmtn a Cross Country Rider from 'Fredericton, NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2010

Strengths:    Long ride comfort

Weaknesses:    Fit must be perfect

Bottom Line:
This is a great comfortable saddle but it does feel like your sitting on a 2 x 4 until it's adjusted properly and your used to it. The saddle doesn't look real durable, the lettering is already wearing off.

The Gobi is not as plush as some saddles and (with Ti rails, at least) and transmits some bumps that other saddles don't.

I recommend the Gobi for mountain/cross country riders looking for comfort on longer rides but not necessarily an immediate plush feeling when you first sit on it.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry Comp, WTB Speed V

Bike Setup:   2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Marathon

Submitted by Hammerskulls a Weekend Warrior from Burnaby, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Incredibly comfortable. Great Look. Light.

Weaknesses:    Wears Quickly

Bottom Line:
I just completed the 2009 Trans Rockies Race on this saddle.
7 days straight, 4-9 hours a day on the bike.
Not a single complaint from my rear.
Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia, WTB, You name it, I have used it at one time.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro S Works, Full XTR,

Submitted by rhadrj a Racer from Fenton, MO, US

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Very forgiving, length is great as you can switch positions but narrow enough to get behind it if need be.

Weaknesses:    Pricea

Bottom Line:
I have a Gobi on every bike I own (and have owned for the past 3 years). Also have the arione on my road bike and my cross bike. I do believe saddles are a personal preference and you have to find one that fits your rear end so it is hard to say one is better than another. But I have had these for years and they are absolutely the best I have ever rode.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb

Purchased At:   Sunset

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite

Bike Setup:   Mamasita Full XTR and Reynold Topo 29ers

Submitted by heilong a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a great streamlined saddle for an iron ass (I have one by now). Quality is great - looks almost as new after two years (did around 1000km during that time, though - not much).
It started creaking recently - I've taken the seatpost with the saddle out of the frame, turned it upside down and sprayed some silicone lubricant into the saddle where the rails go inside the saddle shell - silicone lube usually cures creaking and squeaking, cured my saddle's creaking this time.
I think choosing a saddle is very personal and individual - everyone's asses and hipbones are different, so I won't tell that this model is good for you or whatever, but I can tell that this is a well-made quality product. The saddle is rather hard, so those who like soft saddle probably shouldn't even try it. I've had a rather hard saddle on my previous bike and after daily commuting for a year on that bike my ass have gotten so iron I could probably ride a saddle of any hardness. Like Sheldon Brown's funny joke about a solid granite Real Man (R)saddles.

Purchased At:   Velomarket-CSKA

Bike Setup:   Custom-built MTB with Russian-made titanium frame

Submitted by bikermancam a Racer from btv,usa

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    Good length, broad nose for riding on the "rivet".
Just enough padding to make it a strong marathon contender.

Weaknesses:    rear of saddle is ever so slightly turned up with what is otherwise a flat saddle

Bottom Line:
A great saddle with enough cushion to satisfy hardtailers, lightweight for the weight weenie, good width for forward in the saddle comfort.

Bike Setup:   Rush Team

Submitted by dubdryver a Cross Country Rider from Pembroke Pines, FL. USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable, durable, flex wing is legit, lightweight

Weaknesses:    price? A seat this calibre will cost atleast this much, I found it to be a lot better than seats that were more expensive, and haven't found anything cheaper that would even compare!

Bottom Line:
I have been using this seat for over 3yrs now. This seat has made its way from my K2 to my Blur. I am so sold on this seat that I am planning on buying a second one brand new and just hanging onto it with this one's breaks or falls apart! It is seriously worth the money you invest on it, and yah you will regret it when you pay for it, and when you first put it onto your seatpost, but wait a couple months and you too will be swearing by them! THEY ARE THAT GOOD! They are a very strong durable saddle with great comfort, great flex in the wings "wing flex". They AREN'T Racelight at about 220g, but sacrificing a few grams for the added comfort that will let you ride all day is well worth it! Besides, if you are going to be racing, comfort isn't about the furthest from your priorities so this saddle isnt for you anyways!

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park, Alligator Alley

Purchased At:   bike shop in Belgium

Similar Products Used:   Titec, WTB, Specialized, Selle Italia gel.

Bike Setup:   05 K2 Razorback Team: 07 REBA SL Air U-TURN, XT CRANK, X.9 drivetrain, Mavic Crossland UST; 03 Santa Cruz Blur Classic: Fox F100 RLC, Truvativ Stylo OCT, X.9 drivetrain, Mavic 819/Pure XCR,

Submitted by dontheclysdale a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
This seat was not for me. It's like sitting on a carved up 2x4. It should be called the "taint killer." I'm a big guy 6'3 250lbs and trail ride 20-30miles a week. I gave this seat about 10 miles and couldn't take it. I've read they have to be broken in but I have no interest in spending anymore time on this saddle. Even with the thudbuster this thing was NOT comfortable for me. I'll stick with the softer Laser.

I would give this thing a 1 but I don't think that's fair considering you either like hard saddles or you like soft saddles. After this experience I'm definitely a soft saddle person. Good thing I didn't pay retail...

Purchased At:   eBay - New

Bike Setup:   Haro Mary SS, Thudbuster ST, Rigid Fork

Submitted by dtacmed a Cross Country Rider from Kannapolis nc usa

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2009

Strengths:    Looks

Weaknesses:    Came apart no Customer Support

Bottom Line:
A overpriced saddle. Was fairly comfortable. No customer service from importer. Anyway go WTB

Favorite Trail:   Sherman Branch

Similar Products Used:   WTB

Bike Setup:   Kona

Submitted by darkdaysahead a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable, lightweight, and available in many different colors. It is a narrow seat and is great for free thigh movement. Also, the rear of the seat is very comfortable and absorbs a lot of road noise and small bumps.

Weaknesses:    I have two of the seats and one was purchased used off ebay. On the used one the rails of the seat squeak loudly and I need to put oil in there and tilt the seat accordingly so the oil absorbs in all the around the rails. This is a pain but I have a feeling the seller was rather large and thus abused the seat with his weight.

Bottom Line:
I love these seats. They are great for on the road and off the road. I have one on my cross bike and one on my mountain bike. When I need a new seat for my road bike I will be getting one of these. I read a review earlier on that mentioned how uncomfortable this seat was and I'm guessing he didn't have it set up right. I've found with this seat that positioning is very critical. If it feels a little off try moving it forward or backward and adjusting the angle. Once you get it right it will feel like a gentle hand holding your butt above the bike and it's magic. The price is steep but if you can find a good deal it's well worth it.

Purchased At:   bikewagon.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB Laser V Team Saddle, Rolls, Regal

Bike Setup:   On One Geared Inbred, XT componets, Sun Ringle Charger Wheels with Dirty Flea Hubs, Thomson post, Hope stem, Avid bb7 Mechanicals with Alligator Titanium Nitrate Rotors, Fizik Gobi seat, Panracer Fire tires, egg beater pedals, answer aluminum bars, isis drive race face cranks with fsa platinum bb, speed dial levers, and salsa skewers and seat clamp.

Submitted by stingray4100 a Weekend Warrior from Victoria Australia

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2009

Strengths:    Comfort / wingflex really works / good looks

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Comfort, Comfort and Comfort - is there anything else more important in a saddle. Not sure about the wear rate yet, but the thing is super comfortable. Also easy to move around on and easy to get over the back for descending - I will be keeping this one for a while. They are super expensive in OZ though which brings the value rating down to 4 - glad I found one on the bay.

Favorite Trail:   Saw Mill Gorae

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Flite - ouch
WTB Laser - not too bad, but not suitable for this bike
Bontrager - OK
Selle San Marco Rolls - good for the roadie, not so much for mountain
Selle San Marco Due - ouch

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek EX8

Submitted by justanotherbikegeek a Cross Country Rider from wisconsin

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, comfort beyond belief, long rails allow for a lot of fore/aft adjustment, cordura or whatever edges, very stylin'

Weaknesses:    Gluing/stitching on underside of saddle

Bottom Line:
I'm 160 lbs. and have ridden on Flite saddles since 1992. Never found anything that worked better. Decided to try a Gobi after reading about the tail flex and found a lightly used one on ebay.

The tail flex is nice, and the long, contoured shape of the saddle lets you move around for a different feel in the saddle. No problems with numbness or pain in the tushie. It looks a little wider than the Flite, and I thought my thighs would be rubbing against the sides of it, but this hasn't happened at all. Just bought another one to replace the Flite on one of my other mountain bikes and will probably look for another one to put on my road bike.

Only thing holding this back from a 5-star rating is the glue/stitching underneath. No problems yet, but it just doesn't inspire confidence.

Purchased At:   ebay, used

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite

Bike Setup:   Vassago Jabberwocky

Submitted by turbokirbo a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, Nc, USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    looks nice (blue & silver), light weight titanium rails.

Weaknesses:    uncomfortable, went numb and got butt cramps in only 7 miles

Bottom Line:
This saddle looks great, matched by bike (silver & blue) the reviews looked very good, many talking about comfort and great fit, but this thing had me numb at mile 7 of a 33 mile ride and I got a butt cramp at mile 9. It's not that I haven't ridden much, I had just completed 160 miles the week before on my Bontrager race lite seat and had no problem. I found a good deal on the Gobi and decided to give it a try. After my ride today, the thing is back in the box getting returned. Apparently this saddle works well with some body shapes better than others. I weigh 195 pounds and it was just too darn hard and uncomfortable. I can't imagine sitting on this for more than 2 hours.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   wtb shadow V & Bontrager race lite

Bike Setup:   Lemond Versaille

Submitted by Showori a Racer from da forest at 420

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    shape, comfort, look, design, weight, shock absorb

Weaknesses:    if it only had a cutout!

Bottom Line:
Let me state that i freak out with weight weeinies who, for shedding insignificant grams, like to sit on a rock (selle italia, aspide carbon, etc).
The Gobi´s been on my race bike for three years and for 250g, haven´t felt a saddle so comfy, it does absorb some shock and adapts to my shape real well. But after a couple of long distance bike marathons i have done that last around 4-5 hours, i did feel numb, and sore in my prostate afterwards. But only after 5 hours plus of racing, but anything under say 3 hours is just perfect, period. Just wish Fizik designed a goby with a cutout and came out to the market.
I only use the Gobi" on my "race " bike. For my other regular "training" bikes i use cheap Velo Comfort saddles, which can be a bit heavy and cheap, but they´re real comfy, and have a cutout, and i can ride for hours and hours and never feel any discomfort, but, racing and just riding are different things, and for "racing" the Gobi wins by far vs any other saddle.

Favorite Trail:   venados

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   wtb lazer, selle italia flite gel, velo comfort (cheap but awesome), selle san marco aspide (a damn rock).

Bike Setup:   hananero titanium-xtr-sid07, a schwinn homegrown xt level comps, an italian road bike, s.cruz heckler.

My below 11kg Sandman Gobi

Sandman Gobi Frame Medium Carver O-Beast Hope hubs Trialtech rims Pillar Spokes XTR-XT system Esi grips 3T Stem Syntace bar EC90 seatpost with kcnc yokes Saevid saddle [ATTACH=CONFIG]779008[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]779009[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]779010[/ATTACH]Read More »

Sandman Gobi below 11KG

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/29d7ex3.jpg[/IMG] Had a Sandman Atacama befor and used it for trail riding. [URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/116578673205600669209/BeMC2012#"]https://picasaweb.google.com/116578673205600669209/BeMC2012#[/URL] But the Atacama was a bit to heavy :) Speclist: ... Read More »

Prophet Fizik Gobi Team Replica Saddle help

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/209jz2p.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2194eow.jpg[/IMG] im looking for the saddle pictured above, its for a Prophet Siemens Team Replica '06 Fizik Gobi Team Replica Saddle where can i possibly order this?Read More »

Selle Italia SLR XC vs Fizik Gobi

Did anybody try both SLR XC and Gobi? I wonder if SLR XC is like Gobi or more like Fizik Tundra? I've Fizik chameleon shape saddle on a road bike and I like it. Although SLR XC much nicer than Gobi for mtb. I wonder if SLR is more like Gobi or Tundra, which would be way too narrow for my fat ass ... Read More »

Gobi XM Braided Saddle on a Joplin 4 post

The seat I was using on my Joplin is too soft and the rails are too low so it triggers the post every time I go over a bump. I through on an old flight saddle to get me by, but it is pretty worn out and I want to replace it. I typically run Gobis on all of my bikes so i was looking at getting the ... Read More »