Home | Reviews | Saddle | Fizik

Fizik Gobi XM Saddle

3.83/5 (36 Reviews)
Weight : 229 grams MSRP : $149.95

We've always considered the Gobi XM Saddle to be a mountain bike friendly cross between Fizik's Arione and Aliante saddles. It features a somewhat flat profile with WingFlex technology like the Arione. The shell has tines, like a comb, which are suspended in place by an injected elastomer, creating controlled flex. Likewise, the TailFlex works the same way. These flex zones are designed to give more than solid plastic and as a pattern of use emerges, the sections soften to yield to your body. The rest of the nylon shell is reinforced with carbon fiber giving it enough extra strength and stiffness to shed any extra grams. The K:ium rails (pronounced "Koom," rhymes with zoom) offer a better ride than titanium rails. They're 8% lighter, have greater strength to weight ratio, and absorb more trail chatter. The vibration damping is thanks to silicon being added to the alloy. There is also some chromium content. It makes the rails nice and shiny and increases corrosion resistance, which helps with overall durability.The Fizik Gobi XM Saddle is designated as an XM, or cross-mountain saddle and is available in Black and White. It's longer than the Aliante and has a similar width to the Arione at 290mm long and 130mm wide. The Microtex covering offers just enough traction for your rear to be able to stay planted when you're digging hard on the pedals up rough climbs, but the slick finish on the thigh glides won't keep you from being able to shift yourself fore and aft on the saddle when you need to find the right weight balance. The Gobi XM Saddle possesses Fizik's Integrated Clip System (ICS), a means by which to attach a Fizik blinky light or saddle bag directly to the saddle without the need for straps.

Submitted by Robert Vecchiarelli a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    Sides of seat are made of a very durable material that takes bumps extremely well. No scratch or marks ever have come close.

Weaknesses:    Just not comfortable enough. Every year I have to ride through the week of pain to get my ass in shape to the point the seat does not hurt. It's not so much the seat per se as it is the profile of the seat. Cause the padding seems to be good but there's just not enough space for my big ass I guess.

Bottom Line:
Got the seat with my gt marathon carbon expert. It has done the deed for some time now and I am moving on to the fizik ares cause its shorter and wider... Exactly what I need.

I actually had the seat at a 10 degree incline so my ass would always be focused on the rear of the seat, which worked out well but it just wasn't enough. And when u gotta climb a hill and hunker down on that thing it's usually a pain in the ass. Literally.

Submitted by bulerias a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2013

Strengths:    When it works for you it's marvellous. Well made, nice covering. Looks good in black with the Cordura scuff panels.

Weaknesses:    Only one width. Nose is a little narrow and hard.

Bottom Line:
I got this on the recommendation of a shop owner who swore by it, not at it as many seem to do. It seemed a bit hard at first, but I knew that that's quite typical for Italian saddles when new. Six rides later it was way better and six months later it's just an extension of my anatomy.

I think this saddle is best for the XC position and something deeper and wider might suit the AM style upright posture better. I've demo'd lots of saddles and never found that a center channel did anything for me, so I don't miss it. There's something about the combination of shell flex and padding density that works here - once you give it a chance to break in.

There are times when I'd maybe want it a bit wider, but it's wide enough and easy to slide on and off of. The nose is bit narrow and hard but when you're up there you're sorta standing anyway and worried about other things.

Best of all is that it seems to have - touch wood - ended my long battle with saddle sores. No flamin' rear is 5 flamin' chilis from me.

Submitted by arkhamasylum a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort over long distances, easier to slide off if needed.

Weaknesses:    White leather version is difficult to clean.

Bottom Line:
My bike came with a Selle Italia X1 saddle that gave me rear and back pain after about 2 hours of riding, pain that makes you notice and stand once in a while. I used the Selle Italia X1 for about a month, but no improvement, the seat did not break in. After consulting with some shops and local riders, I've decided to try out the Gobi XM. I've had this saddle for 2 months now and riding the same trails and lengths and totally forgot about saddle issues (now I have squeaky pedal issues). There is just no pain for me. I guess it depends on the rider too, some people find this saddle uncomfortable. Try out a test saddle if available then decide. But I would really recommend it, simply the best saddle I've had that suits my riding style.

Submitted by FreuderLocks a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2012

Strengths:    None that I can think of

Weaknesses:    Many. This saddle HURTS, easily the most painful saddle I have ridden, that includes bare carbon race shells...I cannot find the right place to sit on this saddle, it came on my Cannondale Jekyll 2 Carbon and it is a very poor choice for an all day saddle. I have sit bones that protrude and this saddle does nothing to comfort them.

Bottom Line:
Had I been given a choice I would have opted for a different saddle on my new expensive bike, it just goes to show that factory built bikes, no matter how nice they are, frequently come with crap saddles. Im glad I can get rid of this saddle and get something else, that is a positive. This saddle only fits one kind of body, Italian bodies, only Italians have those...

Favorite Trail:   Not sure

Duration Product Used:   one ride

Similar Products Used:   Brooks B17 Ti Pro, best saddle Ever

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll 2 Carbon

Submitted by Mattley a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, looks

Weaknesses:    Retail price, a bit hard to set up at first.

Bottom Line:
This is the most comfortable seat I've ridden. I rode it initially demo'ed it, and then got an opportunity to purchase one from my LBS take off bin. It feels a bit lighter than my SST, and removed a pressure point so my left foot no longer goes numb. I wouldn't have purchased this saddle at retail. But for the deal I got on it, I'm incredibly pleased. With propper cycling shorts it's phenomenally comfortable, with jeans, it does start to hurt after a while.

Purchased At:   Reser Bicycle Outfit

Similar Products Used:   WTB Rocket V, WTB SST, Stock Redline seat

Submitted by limbo696 a Weekend Warrior from Orem, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable saddles with firm support.

Weaknesses:    Support rail snapped on me after just over 1 season of use. Saddle only had one year warranty on it so I could not get a replacement.

Bottom Line:
I am a larger rider (6"2, 220lbs) and this is not the first seat I have busted. However, I think a premium seat like this should come with a longer warranty. Probably a decent a seat if you are a light rider.

Purchased At:   Fisher Cycling

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Superfly Carbon hard tail

Submitted by yetibetty a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Strengths:    Looks nice, long rails

Weaknesses:    This seat has long rails for a reason, it's because you'll be forever moving it beck and forth to try and make it feel comfortable before you give up and sell it.

Bottom Line:
This seat/saddle is designed around looks and weight and not around the human body(maybe the Italian body).

There is no groove in the center for the dangly bits but a sort of bump at the front of the saddle that ends up right in front of your dangly bits just to add to the pain.

The rear is very narrow and curved so unless you have a butt the size of a three year old your sit bones will not get any support and all of you body weight will be on your dangly bits and that is bad for you and can do permanent harm.

Bottom line: An expensive way to feel pain.

Favorite Trail:   The Ridgeway

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   A few different Specialized BG's

Bike Setup:   07 Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by erwi0295 a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    Looks, weight, stiffness

Weaknesses:    causes pain in the family jewelry

Bottom Line:
I ride every day; whether commuting, mountain biking or cross on 4 different bikes w/ different seats. They all suffice, but this one. If you like your junk, don't injure your manhood on this battle ax. This thing will slice you in two after a short period of riding. Throbbing pain will follow. I know, it hurts. Sent me to the doctor. It came on my giant. Its not a good seat, But I've got one for sale if you want it!

Purchased At:   Bike and Hike

Similar Products Used:   selle SMP Hybrid, Terry Fly, Selle Italia Flite Gel, San Marco Ponza

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant Trance X1

Submitted by mike johnson a Cross Country Rider from christchurch new zealand

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2010

Strengths:    weight looks

Weaknesses:    plastic body underneath snapped

Bottom Line:
loved the seat,then it snapped, the plastic body underneath snapped when riding on a grade 1 trail , thinking of just getting a wtb rocket pro , if it did not snap, it would be 4 + chili, ps the gt carbon pro gets , 5 out of 5 ,had the 2001 gt idrive now the 2008 love both ,but now have had 4 gt,s, back to the fizik ,i will get another 1 for the right price one day

Bike Setup:   gt carbon pro

Submitted by sebaho a Cross Country Rider from France

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable at first sight.
Quality of construction.

Weaknesses:    Too flexible (too comfortable !) : not good for my perineum

Bottom Line:
Very pleased with the Gobi at the beginning, when used 6 hours per week. But during my holidays, after 25 hours of use in 2 weeks, my perineum shouted for help. The reason is that this saddle is so flexible that my perineum had abnormals contacts with it. After hours of this contacts, several cysts appeared.
The setup of this saddle is also very difficult because the rear is turned-up (spirit level problem) and the length is important (nose distance problem).

Purchased At:   Kompressor (Luxembou

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Nisene II (excellent but heavy)
WTB Rocket V team

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush

Submitted by SGexpat a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2010

Strengths:    Well made, feels durable and easy to clean

Weaknesses:    Expensive, on the narrow side, painful and numbing for those with wider sit-bones

Bottom Line:
Had the saddle a week on demo. Nice and well-made saddle but wrong for me. I'm 5'10 and 76 kilos so not exactly big or heavy. It does have a sweet-spot but puts pressure between my sit-bones and right on my soft tissue causing pain and numbness. Will try the Aliante which should be better width for me. Would think this is fine for those with narrower sit bones and for race/shorter rides.

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah

Purchased At:   Entro Cycles

Similar Products Used:   WTB Rocket V

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Primo, XC

Submitted by bowser5x5 a Cross Country Rider from nbay

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2010

Strengths:    well built, nice style, rear & side flex add a lot of variation

Weaknesses:    can be painful, depending on ride style, butt size

Bottom Line:
this is more of a race saddle that all-day xc saddle. can be painful if your butt is big or strangely built. race saddle = shorter time on the bike. overall this is a nice saddle, meant for shorter rides.

Favorite Trail:   annadel

Submitted by 33MTB a Cross Country Rider from East Coast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Very painful

Bottom Line:
I ride mostly aggressive cross country. I'm 6'0", 200lbs. I really tried to like this saddle, especially after many of the positive reviews, but it is flat out painful. There is little padding as compared to other saddles (which is why it weighs less), which may account for the lack of comfort. This might be great for someone who races < 1hr., but if you ride any more than that, pain will follow. Maybe it's the way I'm built, but it's just not a good fit for me.

Purchased At:   Price Point