Home | Reviews | Saddle | Fizik

Fizik Aliante XM Gamma Saddle

4.83/5 (23 Reviews)
Weight : 259 grams MSRP : $150.00

Fizik Aliante Gamma XM-K:IUM Saddle has a new shape specifically designed for MTB use on bikes with suspension travel from 80 to 120mm. The new high shape on the central and front part of the padding, provides optimal weight distribution while you are ri

Submitted by Blk02 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2012

Strengths:    No tearing or fraying around the edges (6 months of use)
White stays white and is easy to clean
Saddle looks well made
Profile is perfect and give plenty of support

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of at the moment.

Bottom Line:
Great replacement saddle for my stock Pivot WTB saddle. I was having trouble with the stock saddle on my bike making my butt sore every time I rode. This saddle is just the right width and profile to alleviate my pains (185lbs, 6'2", 33" inseam). I bought the white version and it has held up well. The white is still white and the edges of the seat cover are still securely attached to the underside of the seat. The workmanship on this saddle is excellent. Spend your money on the bike contact points (saddle, grips/handlebar, and pedals).

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Creek Ranch, Warda TX

Duration Product Used:   6 Months

Purchased At:   Hucknroll

Submitted by Lunger a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2012

Strengths:    Saddles are a personal preference so for what it is worth this saddle is the most comfortable I've ever ridden. Just the right amount of padding and the shape is such that you can move around on it. I had a WTB saddle that felt like it was shaped so that there was just ONE spot where you could sit...great if that is comfortable but it wasn't for me. On top of that for a long ride it is important to be able to move around...the Aliante XM is great for that. I've only been riding it for 3 months so I can't speak to its durability but it shows no signs of wear and appears to be VERY well constructed.

Weaknesses:    It is pricey but if you look around on the web you can't get one in the $100 range which isn't bad for a saddle of this quality.

Bottom Line:
I've been looking around for a "go to" saddle for years and finally found it. I have them on my commuter/road bike, mtn bike and trainer bike. It is so comfortable I look forward to sitting on it which is strange in my experience.

I purchased the Aliante VS - Versus thinking it was the same shape but w/a channel...it doesn't feel like it. Not nearly as comfortable.

Favorite Trail:   Toads

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic

Submitted by Mike

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    Sharp looking. Well crafted and made. Fairly lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Hard as a rock. Not comfortable at all. Lacks padding. Way, way, way overpriced for what one gets!

Bottom Line:
I was after a more comfortable saddle yet I absolutely haven't found this saddle as comfortable as others have claimed. It is noticeably less comfortable then the stock Bonrager saddle it replaces although it is clearly better made with nicer materials. Even so it isn't worth the $150 price tag! Overrated and overpriced! I am extremely disappointed with what I got for the money. I absolutely don't recommend it and don't know why or how others could give it an almost 5.0 'perfect' rating!!!

Submitted by Psycho Mike a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, wider (for those of us with a wider spacing to our sit bones), quality construction

Weaknesses:    Full retail price

Bottom Line:
When my last WTV saddle split down the central channel, I started looking around at different brands and makes...a direct replacement for the saddle I had was going to be about $100 anyway, so I thought I'd see how things have changed. At this price point, there are a lot of saddles to choose from. After trying a good number of them, I settled on the Fizik Aliante Gamma XM.

Ok, this isn't the fanciest looking saddle out there....it doesn't have a central channel (it flexes nicely like a Brooks), doesn't have a different shape to the nose (a la Cobb...which wasn't bad, but I found it much harder to get behind the saddle than the Aliante) or big butt-crack split up the tail end...but it works.

Yes, saddle preference will vary between folks, but Fizik seems to do a pretty good job. They do take a little bit of time to break in...it is a shorter time than a Brooks, but it's not immediate...but once it's set, you're set. I found it to be a little sensitive to the set up (and getting the saddles I tried set up helped me lose a couple bad habits I had when it came to saddle set up...and my butt thanks me for that), but once you have it set up, it vanishes under you.

Durability looks like it'll be good. I've had a couple "departures" from the bike and it has weathered the resulting landings well...a couple minor scuffs, but that's it. The bumpers it comes with seem to do their job well too.

This isn't a racing saddle, it's not a cushy saddle for a newbie...it is a good quality saddle that's easy to get around on, easy to get behind, long enough to allow for some good body english and supportive enough to keep your butt happy for the long haul without the privates getting numb.

Demo one if you can (I did and it was a big part of why I ended up going with this over another WTB), shop around so you're not paying the $150 US retail price (or $199 Cdn...wtf is up with that $50 difference?), take the time to set it up right and it'll treat your butt right.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt

Purchased At:   Bikewagon

Similar Products Used:   Various WTB saddles, Bontrager saddles, Brooks B17, Cobb Plus DRT (demo only), Spec. Henge (demo only)

Bike Setup:   Knolly Delirium T with a decent build that's adjusted to the riding...everything from 230 km charity rides to urban assault to AM and park goodness

Submitted by CKPC a Racer from NorCal

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfortable. Bought one a year earlier for my road bike and will never buy anything else unless they stop production.

Weaknesses:    Nothing noted

Bottom Line:
Seats are extremely personal and one seat may not work everyone, but everyone I know that has tried the Aliante has loved it. I swore by my old Avocet O2 so much that I bought a couple when they stopped making them, but I have found my new love.

Value would be 5 if it were a little cheaper.

Bike Setup:   X-Caliber 29

Submitted by skiahh a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, comfortable! It's solid, doesn't creak or move at all. Did I mention it's comfortable?

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little expensive, but for how comfortable it is, I'm still giving it a 5 chili value rating.

Bottom Line:
My Pivot came with the WTB Silverado and it just didn't suit me; it was too hard and flat (for lack of a better way of describing it) for my sit bones. I tried a bunch of different saddles and by far, this one was the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on. Whether riding in normal riding gear or just out at the park in jeans, this saddle is the best I've ever had and will stay with me when (if?) I sell this bike!

Fizik calls this a "Bull" saddle, or made for those with limited spinal flexibility. I'm pretty flexible, but also a clyde, and I think that this is an ideal saddle for a clyde regardless of flexibility. Did I mention how comfortable it is?

Similar Products Used:   Mostly Specialized saddles

Bike Setup:   Basically stock 429

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from calgary

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2011

Strengths:    comfort

Weaknesses:    graphics wearing off

Bottom Line:
The saddle looks pretty similar to others of it's shape and size, but for some unknown reason it is more comfortable. I can pedal for hours without adjusting my position.

Purchased At:   amazon

Similar Products Used:   assorted other saddles

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 with some extras

Submitted by Demo8Man a Downhiller from Portland

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    Comfy and it's easy to move off the back of the saddle and back on when going down steaps.

Bottom Line:
So far this seems to be a great saddle for me. Harder than my Chromag Saddle I had, but I hate saddles that are to soft.

Favorite Trail:   Hidden trail

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Green Santa Cruz Nomad with Talas 36, Fox DHX 5.0, Rock shox Reverb seat post, and Chris King BB, Headset, and hubs.

Submitted by sundog7 a Cross Country Rider from Buena Vista,CO

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort for big guys

Weaknesses:    None yet. Can't comment on longevity - only 400 miles on it so far.

Bottom Line:
Great saddle! I have ridden for many years and this is the best saddle I have used. Just the right amount of padding. Comfortable for even 6 hour rides. I am tall, about 200 pounds. Fizik advertises "Made for Bulls". Amen. Over time I have converted both my mountain bikes to Fizik saddles. The Alante Gamma XM is super!

Favorite Trail:   Ain't Tellin

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Henge(hard,broke) and others, Terry Liberator (Just OK), Bontrager-several (not bad).

Bike Setup:   MTB 29 and 26, Road

Submitted by cydoniaab a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This saddle felt like what I needed when I seen it at the bike shop, Nashbar had a great deal on it so I ordered it.

I realized after that Fizik website would not have me on this saddle since i'm more likely a snake rider (at 5'7" - 150lbs and fairly flexible) then a bull rider.

I've search high and low online and guessing many others have this question as well. For the weekend warrior wouldn't comfort take priority on being able to move quickly on the saddle. I know comfort has to do with seating position but I'm thinking they have that chart setup for ultimate performance seeking rider.

Anyone using this saddle that doesn't fit the bull build and loves it. Thanks guy!

Favorite Trail:   Canadian Rockies

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   Devinci Desperado build (hardtail)

Submitted by h2otaco a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    Shape/Size

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Has a really good shape to it, perfect width (for me). Just the right amount of padding in the right areas.

Saddles are a very personal choice, and for me, this is just about the perfect saddle. If they made it with a true relief section then it'd be absolutely perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey mtn

Purchased At:   918

Similar Products Used:   Terry Fly, Multiple Specialized BG saddles, Titec Berzerker, Flite.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic 29er

Submitted by yehudaeldan a Cross Country Rider from Israel,Tel-aviv

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    most comfrotable seat ever

Weaknesses:    nonso far

Bottom Line:
the best bang for the $!
EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE,
I never thought a mtb saddle can be so comfy!

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   some other Fizik saddles that came stock on the bike, some selle italia sadlles and some other stuff

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Scalpel 2000 the 2005 model. stock.

Submitted by Jerome a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, Qc, CANADA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2010

Strengths:    Very comfortable, easy to maintain (synthetic leather), durable, clean looking

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy compared to other saddles in the same price range.

Bottom Line:
I've always been a big fan of Selle Italia Flite saddles but lately, they stopped making the Flite Gel Flow in 143mm width, except in black. Since I was looking for a white saddle and already owned a Gobi XM, I decided to give the Aliante Gamma XM a try, based on the shape and overall level of comfort/quality of the Gobi. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the Aliante was even more comfortable than the Gobi (and the Gel technology plays the same role for the perineal area as Selle Italia "Flow" technology). Even though it could be a few grams lighter, it's my current saddle of choice. The best thing is that you forgot about it even on looong rides and, for a saddle, that's a big compliment. Plus, the white stays white, which is a good thing. All in all, I'm very satisfied with this product and would recommend it to anyone looking for a saddle that can be ridden for long hours.

Favorite Trail:   Montagne des Roches, Charlesbourg