Home | Reviews | Saddle | Ergon

Ergon SM3 Saddle

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Flex Optimized GFK saddle shell. Lightweight Tinox hollow rails. Soft, breathable, easy to clean, synthetic leather lorica micro-fibre cover. Available in sizes S and L for different sit-bone distances.

Submitted by MTBRacerGirl

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2014

Strengths:    Great race saddle! low profile without being rock hard. extra length makes it easy to move into any position while riding. durable materials and super lightweight.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
comfortable, versatile, lightweight race saddle.

Submitted by timmycee a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2013

Strengths:    Ergon obviously has this "fit" thing down. It is remarkably comfortable once you are in the zone. Covering material is tough and easy to move around on. Lightweight too!

Weaknesses:    I wouldn't call it a weakness, but you have this very specific area that you HAVE to sit in. The saddle basically disappears once you find the zone. I have a hand made frame that was made for me and I wasn't able to situate the saddle so I was sitting in the sweet spot. This is an issue. After 30 miles I had to take it off and put on my previous saddle (WTB Silverado). I was moving around so much that I wrecked my back.
I agree with the other reviewers that it takes a lot of time to set up. Mine was set up by Ergon at a race, so I believe that it was set up correctly.

Bottom Line:
I was so stoked to get this saddle then so disappointed to find that I could not ride this saddle. It is a great value and a well built (Selle Italia) saddle. Seems like the covering will be durable as well as the side protection.
If you can get a test ride on one, do it before you buy. It is likely that it will fit most riders with a standard geometry bike, but do yourself a favor and ride it first.

Similar Products Used:   This saddle is not similar to any saddle I have ridden.

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail.

Submitted by dan wiz a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    The Ergon grips in my world is a big hit....looks super ergonomic, i've come to like the slippery cover to transition further back/ length/width of saddle, the sit bone placements seem to cradle sit bones perfectly

Weaknesses:    set up can take a bit longer and im not used to riding saddles with a slight nose down position. Ergon recommends this (at the end of the day you'll set it up for what works for YOU)..this is not necessarily a weakness just some extra time and tinkering may be needed

Bottom Line:
I am a believer in the Ergon stuff..this saddle peaked my interest very early on and therefore looked forward to it.....i first put it on a mtb with very little attention to set up. also had jeans on but when i sat down the instant feeling of sit bones being firmly planted was an exciting first impression. i've tinkered with saddle tilt/nose up, saddle tilt down and seemed to have found the slight nose down position to be best. the saddle allows for easy/ sliding fwd or back depending on trail conditions, hips and quads feel "wide open" easily manuverable and felt nothing restrictive. i have probably around 150+miles on this...and would not hesitate to buy another one for my CX bike

Duration Product Used:   approx 150+ miles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Phenom is my saddle of choice for all bikes. This Ergon SM3 would be an equal

Bike Setup:   s works epic 29

Submitted by Larry_Sellers

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Strengths:    The Ergon SM3 is easily one of my favorite new bits of gear. Picked one up this summer for my MTB and got a second one as a mid-season upgrade to my CX bike. Had a hunch that it would make a good saddle for cross and wasn't disappointed.

There's a ton of logic packed into the design of the SM3. It doesn't look "weird" simply to stick out from the crowd. The fit is amazing. There's zero pressure when you're "locked in" and jamming. For those special times when you need to get on the rivet and really hammer, the wider, flat nose is actually tolerable enough that it almost qualifies as downright comfortable. And if that wasn't enough, the nose is designed to not snag your shorts.

Overall, the saddle is very easy to maneuver around and all but disappears underneath you which is always a very good sign.

Weaknesses:    This isn't necessarily a weakness per se but might be worth mentioning especially if you're like me and wait install your fresh upgrades until you're already running late to meet your buddies...

The unique design of the SM3 may take a little longer to dial in than a more traditional saddle. Give yourself some time to get it right so you don't have to be the guy who has to pull over to make a trail side adjustment a mile into a ride.

Bottom Line:
Extremely well thought out and an all-round excellent saddle.

Similar Products Used:   Fizik, WTB, Bontrager, Prologo, Ritchey Selle Italia

Submitted by NoahColorado a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Strengths:    Supportive shape, durable construction, two sizes

Weaknesses:    The little Ergon tag quickly wore off.

Bottom Line:
I love my Ergon saddle! I've struggled to find a saddle that supported my boney butt and didn't chafe my big-ish thighs, stoked that I've got one now! The unconventional shape of the SM3 comfortable cradles my sits bones but keeps contacting with my inner legs to a minimum. I used to get chronic saddle sores and just thought it part of riding on a daily basis, I now have no saddle sores - I didn't realize how bad my previous saddle was! The flexible and forgiving nose works well on steep climbs.

My former favorite saddles were the WTB Deva and Specialized Henge - if you like these as well, give the SM3 a shot. I'm putting one on every bike!