Home | Reviews | Saddle | CODA

CODA 900 Saddle Saddle

2.9/5 (39 Reviews)
Weight : 245 grams MSRP : $20.00

• Synthetic textured leather cover
  • Center groove for soft tissue relief
  • Kevlar side bumpers
  • Cromoly rails

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Nat a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight. I have a really small fanny and I have a problem finding a saddle that doesn't stick out about 3 inches.

Weaknesses:    I have not found one yet. I a chic and don't find this one hard.

Bottom Line:
    Great saddle. I ride on average 100 miles a week. For the people that go numb: ride more. Great value. I trade mt Selle San Marco for the Coda saddle. I would recomend this to any cyclist.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere I can ride

Purchased At:   Traded with my dad.

Similar Products Used:   Selle San Marco, Titec

Bike Setup:   '03 Trek 8500, Race Face, Full XTR, Mavic, and Titec.

Submitted by steve a Racer from saugus, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    NONE NONENONENONENONENONE

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
    I'm 13, i ride on 75 mile long rides weekly. I know how the guy who is 14 feels. I'm afraid i will have no kids. I'm numb, hurting, and calling my dad to pick me up because I cant ride no more. I got a terry fly, it is better, but i'm just numb now, anybody tell me a good seat that does not look embarassing

Favorite Trail:   VIPER!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Performance cyclery

Similar Products Used:   700, some other crappy coda, serfas, terry

Bike Setup:   cannondale saecor1000 (2ooo)

Submitted by william a Racer from baton rouge, La, usa

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    price. COMFORT. fit. it's FAST. 236 g. slick seat. narrow nose allows close legs for aero. not too soft and not too hard.

Weaknesses:    it could use a little gel in the nose, but that is minor.

Bottom Line:
    I love this saddle. I'm 155#. It's just soft enough to absorb road bumps, but not too soft to suck down power. Firm enough, but not too firm to bring on numbness. I like being able to scooch back sometimes, and ahhhh comfort then, with speed/power. After 15 saddles in 13 yrs, this is the one. My speed, rpm's, and COMFORT, and riding joy all increase instantly when this saddle is put on. And this is without padded shorts.

Highly recommend to roadies 140 - 170#.

This is the only saddle I'm giving 5 chili's.

Favorite Trail:   hills, road

Purchased At:   nash

Similar Products Used:   more than 15 saddles. heck my screen name is named after a bike saddle.

Bike Setup:   schwinn road and javelin tri lite aluminum.

Submitted by peter a Cross Country Rider from herndon,va,usa

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Strengths:    cost, shape

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    i have read much of the review complaining about this saddle, but i have a high sit bone, so this saddle works for me. at the low cost from the excess saddle bin at my lbs, i outfitted all three in my stable with this saddle. only change i would make is to shorten the nose a bit.

Favorite Trail:   wod

Purchased At:   metropolis

Similar Products Used:   san marco concor light, various san marco saddles

Bike Setup:   hardtail, hybrid and road bikes

Submitted by Art Salmons a Weekend Warrior from Parker

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2000

Strengths:    The saddle is surprising comfortable considering its narrow and thin design. You can also shift your weight from the front to the back easily.

Bottom Line:
    This is a low priced comfotable bike saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Cherry creek Creek

Bike Setup:   Trek 820

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Bridgeman, MI

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    comfortable, easy to shift your weight around

Weaknesses:    takes breaking in, slightly heavy

Bottom Line:
    First of all, I got my CODA 900 for only $7 on super sale at my local bike shop. My first reaction when I sat down on it after bolting it on was "Dang this seat is hard!" But, after a few hours in the saddle it loosened up a bit and now I think it might be more comfortable than my old Vetta. I also like how easy it is to shift my weight back and forth on the seat for different conditions. It's also cut just right so when landing, it doesn't hurt your thighs if your weight is behind the seat.
    Keep in mind, I gave it 5 squigly things on value because i got it for only 7 bucks and I have no idea how much it really costs at normal price.

Similar Products Used:   Vetta Flex

Bike Setup:   Trek with XT components and Judy T2

Submitted by A Wheelman a Cross Country Rider from Toronto Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2000

Strengths:    Fits my ass. It may not fit yours. Easy to slide weight back. Fairly light.

Weaknesses:    No reinforcement in corners, so I expect it to wear eventually. Took some fiddling to get the angle adjustment right.

Bottom Line:
    A good mountain bike saddle. I had it on my road bike for a while but it wasn't as good for that purpose. I have a WTB SST-X which I prefer for the road but off road the CODA is better. Can't slide back for downhills as easily on the SST (or the crossbow I used to use) 'cause my legs get in the way. 5 flaming herring for value because I got it cheap.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Similar Products Used:   Lots.

Bike Setup:   1989 Bridgestone MB-2, w/ Manitou forks

Submitted by bin a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
    I have owned about 12 bikes so far and about 15 seats. This is one of the worse ones. It is bad design and poor material. It is paradoxical that the softer saddles feel, usually the less comfortable they actually are. Simple logic, if the foam/rubber/gel/orwhatever gives nicely under your 15lb finger pinching force, it will give too easily when you have your 180lb fat ass on it, Just imagine sitting on a sponge on a rock. Besides, the design is no good. Now don't tell me you should sit on your sitbones. Why not have two needles instead of your saddle so you can sit right on your sitbones? It is about dispersing body weight as evenly and widely as possible. Just sitting on the sitbones is uncomfortable too.
    One piece of advise: try a Vetta SL that is onsale for $12.99 everywhere. It was the standard mid level saddle 5 years ago and lost favor these days. But it is more comfortable than the flite(which has better looks), Giro Fizi:k (which has even better looks), and certainly than the Coda.For those Coda lovers who ride no more than 30 miles a week and have owned no other saddles, try a 3 hours ride and try other saddles.

Submitted by Darek a Weekend Warrior from St.John's, NF

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1999

Strengths:
    fast looks,
    size and fit

Weaknesses:
    none so far,
    who cares about the paint

Bottom Line:
    I am kind a big boy (200 lbs) so when I bought the bike a month ago I thaought the tiny seat would go right up my ... But it's been great so far, very comfy, it felt right on the first ride. I'll give it 5 hot habaneros.

Butterpot Park

less than 1 month

some cheap mongoose seat

'98 Cannondale SuperV900 (stock)

Submitted by |DarkedgeMayhem| a Cross-Country Rider from korb weinort im remstal

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1999

Strengths:
    nice lookin'
    no slippin' off the saddle, nice kevlar pads

Weaknesses:
    print does go off very fast, fishy usage

Bottom Line:
    this coda products looks fine works well. when having a medium crash this funny thing just slipped off the stem. no, it was adjusted fine, the metal bars under the saddle slipped out of the saddle itself and so i had to ride back home in a thunderstorm... standing. i still don't know how this could happen. anyway... i got a new one that still works , hehe. coda stuff kinda sucks =)

selle italia

sachs gripshift
    lx / xt / coda parts

Submitted by Steve a Cross-Country Rider from san marcos, tx

Date Reviewed: June 29, 1999

Strengths:
    Comfortable

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
    Seat works fine. No kevlar so its ripped. That was expected. No complaints at all.

city park

2 Years

Bontrager, Serfas

Ibis alibi

Submitted by Richie Sanque a Cross-Country Rider from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 14, 1999

Strengths:
    Though small, it's very comfortable.

Weaknesses:
    After less than three months of riding it, the saddle began to tear at the sides, like it was collasping under my weight. The tears began to wear away my bike shorts.

Bottom Line:
    My butt likes this saddle, and because it was so narrow in the back and easy to manuver in, I wanted one for my mountain bike. Unfortunately, because of it's fragility, I opted for a San Marco no-slip for my road bike, and a Bontrager for my mountain bike. Two stars for comfort.

Snake trail, chula vista

3 months

The stock Trek saddle that came with my Trek 470 road bike has a similar shape to the Coda. It tore as well, which brought me to the Coda in the first place.

I used the Coda on a '97 Trek 470 road bike.

Submitted by Juha a Cross-Country Rider from Finland

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Strengths:
    light, small,cheap

Weaknesses:
    not yet found

Bottom Line:
    This product fits me and my bottom well ( I`m 187 cm , 80 kg and narrow - boned !! ).
    Still I can´t give full five credits because I haven´t used it long enough.
    Excellent quality /euros ( dollars ) - ratio, costed me only 180 Fmk
    ( about 30 us$ ) !!

6 months

Different Vetta saddles

Cannondale M900
    Manitou Sx

Submitted by Zutendaal a downhiller from Ashburn, Va

Date Reviewed: February 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

CODA 900:
    THE WORST SADDLE EVER PUT ON A BIKE!
    There is no breaking this thing in. I think I will replace it with a sock full of rocks and ty-wrap it to my post and see if my ride is any more comfortable. I'm sure anything is better than that P.O.S. My ass bone is crying after 1 hour of sitting, so Iv'e found myself standing up alot while riding, which isn't nice either. Why dont they make saddles that fit to a human ass, with pads where the cheeks go, rather than a tiny little support for your rectum bone? I dunno, but I will definately trade this one out soon! It's a shame but C-dale needs to do something about this damn thing. NO STARS

Submitted by Timothy G. a weekend warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: November 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hello boys and girls i have the coda 2000 saddle and it is a pice of shit. Never buy this pice of shit. You most buy this F@#$!&G pice of shit if you never whant to have kids. It's hell for you balls. I now have the fi.ziek. saddle and it is the no.1 in the world!