Brooks Professional 'S' Saddle

• Women's specific model
  • Black w/ chrome rails
  • Antique brown w/ chrome rails
  • Honey w/ copper plated rails

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by chuck cypert a Cross Country Rider from dallas, the metromess

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2003

Strengths:    Classic beauty, timeless design.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, limited fore/aft adjustability due to short ramp on the rails.

Bottom Line:
    I originally purchased this for a restoration project but then found another Brooks I preferred for that so this one ended up on a mountain bike. You will either love a Brooks saddle or hate it, no in between. I am a huge fan, they work well for me, and I love the way they look.

The saddle is small for a man, perhaps, but it works well off-road where I am on and off the thing all the time. Tough, it is scuffed up from crashes and stuff but the leather is thick and sturdy. Goop it up good with Proofide (bottom too) and set it in the sun several days in a row and then ride. Repeat as necessary.

Favorite Trail:   Old Ore Road

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Too many to count over the years.

Bike Setup:   Beater SS for night laps at Arbor Hills.

Submitted by Robin a Cross Country Rider from Triangle, NC USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    Sturdy, durable, superb craftsmanship yet very utilitarian

Weaknesses:    None for me, but if you like something with gel or padding, this ain't the saddle. Use a cover to keep the rain off - you can buy special ones for saddles or use a complimentary shower cap pilfered from a motel.

Bottom Line:
    Great saddle. Haven't noticed any of my Brooks discoloring my shorts, but I have black saddles and wear black shorts. I've had no break-in period with any of my Brooks - they feel good from the moment they go on the seat posts. I'm always making changes to my bikes, but the Brooks saddles are an automatic. A coating of Proofide a couple of times a year and my saddles and me are happy.

Favorite Trail:   Paved roads

Purchased At:   wallbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Brooks Flyer S, Avocet O2 Air 40 Women's

Bike Setup:   2001 Bianchi Volpe with touring-style gearing, '99 LeMond Buenos Aires with road gearing.

Submitted by Andreas Ruediger a Cross Country Rider from Cambridge, UK

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Strengths:    After a complete treatment with Proofide Grease and 300 km of "pain in the ass" this saddle as well as the Professional itself takes the shape of the rider's anatomy. From then onwards it is like a part of you.

Weaknesses:    Sensitive to rain. Once wet, the saddle needs to dry properly. Otherwise it will be irreversibly streched. This can only be compensated to some extent. Due to the treatment of the saddle with Proofide especially the brown saddle may colour your trousers.

Bottom Line:
    Strongly recommended for all those who are looking for a comfortable saddle for either travel or fun. 250 km are no problem even without special trousers once the saddle is formed. Probably a bit to heavy for race (-> brooks swift). Apart from my Magura Brakes the part of the bike that will never be sold.

Purchased At:   Bluschke, Germany