Brooks Conquest Saddle

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

• Several colors to choose from.
  • Three small vents.
  • Single rail frame allows it to be used on a common seat post.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by DustyMoment a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable and long lasting.

Weaknesses:    ok, it's heavy.

Bottom Line:
    I use the bike for everything: commuting, touring, and mountain biking. (done Moab about 20 times, done the Slick Rock about 30 times). I do at least 5,000 miles a year. Guess I am the 'old geezer' the one review mentioned (63yrs old). I've used this saddle the whole time I have had the bikes. Had to replace it once with a broken rail (and still not sure how that had happened.) I just put a new saddle on and kept the old saddle (still in great shape after 15 years of use) in case this saddle goes bad for some reason (and I even have a brand new one for 'just in case.') Bad in the Rain I hear folks say...Surprises me. I have treated mine with Blackrock (along with my horse saddle) and my bike has been in the rain, snow, freezing rain, etc. and is in great shape, so I do not know what folks are talking about. The bike spent a couple of winters outside here at 8,300 ft and was 'stored' atop my truck for years when not riding and again, no problem. The bike has been outside more than inside. I am 6' tall and have no trouble dropping back over it, but I suppose I had to get used to it when I first started. Have known no other saddle but this one. I hear it is discontinued and replaced with the 'Flyer.' (that's why you youngsters should double up on ALL things you like....You probably won't find it later if you need to replace it. I am still looking for an '88 Fisher with a 20" frame) For me Techno is not a virture, I like my plain Cromolly. Regards, Ken

Favorite Trail:   Slick Rock

Bike Setup:   1988 Fisher Mountain bike, replaced with a 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper in 1996 when the frame cracked in a traffic accident. (cars fault, of course) The saddle went on the new Stumpjumper frame.

Submitted by jimziky a Weekend Warrior from san diego

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2009

Strengths:    comfort, looks

Weaknesses:    weight, can suffer damage to finish

Bottom Line:
    had this saddle for years. whenever i have ridden a friends bike for any length of time i'm always glad to get back on my brooks.

Purchased At:   dooleys, paisley, sc

Similar Products Used:   b17 taken off a bike i found with rod brakes

Bike Setup:   mix xc and downhill

Submitted by Luis Roncayolo a Weekend Warrior from Bloomington, IN USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2006

Strengths:    Saves your ass! More time in the saddle for uphills. Allows for use of a great post like the Thomson Elite on an aluminum hardtail.

Weaknesses:    scrathes, break-in period, potential water damage, bit wide but maybe that is something that one can learn to deal with.

Bottom Line:
    As someone mentioned earlier, it is a bit wide for getting behind. I suppose that I will get used to it as it is pretty new to me. But out of the box, with no Proofide or break-in, it was nice. It takes out the small hits that the Aluminum transfers so well to your ass without your realizing it and you feel a bit of a bounce when there is a real hit. Took a while to get the saddle set in terms of pitch... it does bob when you are going over technical stuff and that does affect the ptich of the seat--can't quet set it up like a normal saddle--you'll feel yourself sliding forward or backward more than the bob. Going to set up my commuter with the next wider model for street use.

Favorite Trail:   local parks

Purchased At:   WI bike store on eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cheap stichtion-laden post that came with my bike. Fisik MTB saddle.

Bike Setup:   pre-V-brake Aluminum Cannondale, RST 80mmm shock, Thomson Elite post, LX. Moving to a Litech soon...

Submitted by poo pickles a Weekend Warrior from newport beach

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2005

Strengths:    um, the part you sit on

Weaknesses:    limited market exposure

Bottom Line:
    as you can see, i am attempting to find the most comfortable arrangement. and i think i have done so.
    i have been riding around with my gas shock a few times per week, maybe 1.5 hours at a time. my ass hurt for 2-3 days afterwards. i was mainly on some plastic gel thing (avocet). when i got the conquest, despite all of the reviews i read (and i read them ALL), i was still cautious, since the seat seemed very hard. i decided to go for broke and ride a 2:30 ride on the saddle right out of the box (okay, i did proofide overnight). i was going to concentrate on really riding with as much weight on the saddle to expedite the break-in period. suffer now for comfort later, that was my motto. i noticed that for the first 30 minutes or so, i was still doing the occasional 'half-ass' manuever, where i cheat over to one side. the next time i noticed anything was when i was 20km up/down the road. i happened to stand up and then it dawned on me - i didn't feel a damn thing wrong on me bum!!!! the seat has already formed to my glorious buns. there was not 1% of the usual pain involved in the least. dammit - everyone should be forced to ride with one of these saddles for at least a month.
    i have already bought a B.90\3 for my next purchase - a cushy biachi milano. aw, yeah.

Favorite Trail:   montana de oro

Purchased At:   wallingford or whatever

Similar Products Used:   nothing nearly as good as this

Bike Setup:   bianchi kingbee, with a nitro-pro gas shock

Submitted by Bad Vee a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2005

Strengths:    Very comfortable. Springs do a good job for me, might be a little stiff for a light rider. Rarely seen on mountainbikes.

Weaknesses:    Too wide for aggressive mountainbiking. It's hard to get behind the big sucker. Mine got really soft after getting wet - better use a rear fender. It weighs more than three normal saddles.

Bottom Line:
    If you don't do descents that require you to get behind the saddle, this is a great saddle.

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   WTB, other Brooks, etc.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Mt.Prospect

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort, Duability

Weaknesses:    Weight, break-in period, looks like a saddle a old geezer would ride.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this seat for my trek after putting the bike in mothballs for the last 5 years. I originaly used a 20 yr old Brooks B17 on this bike with great results, the seat was well broken in on my road bike, which I conditioned with neets foot oil. This was like a suspension because the seat flexed when I hit bumps. I ride mostly on flat river trails, bridal paths. I put the Trek away to concentrate on my road bike. I am getting back into the trails so I decided to try different saddles to use on the Trek because switching my old B-17 was becomming a hassel due to different seat post sizes. I tried 3 other seats with bad results, pain, numbness, etc. I got tired of experimenting with different lightweight seats and liked the results of my old Brooks so I looked Brooks up and saw they had a saddle for Mountain bikes, and that to me and my style of riding I figured if I could stand the break in period I knew that I would like it. I bought the Conquest along with the Brooks recomended proofride. I put the saddle on and went out for a quick spin to try it out. The quick spin turned out to be a long ride as I was waiting for some pain to settle in before I stopped. I was suprised that after about a hr. the seat felt great-no pain and this was a new hard seat I was on, I did condition it 2 times with proofride and this seemed to soften it up just enough so my sit bones started to make indentations in the seat. After a few more rides the sit bone spots are now getting real soft and more comfortable each time I ride. Springs do add some bounce on big dips but on small bumps they just soak them up. I know from experience that when it gets fully broken in it will be fantastic saddle. Dont shy away from a new Brooks and how hard they are, with some conditioning you will have a saddle that will last a lifetime- my B-17 is over 25 yrs old and still going strong, I even tried the lightweight saddles on my road bike because I wanted to loose some weight on my Titaniaum and they looked cooler, but I found out that function wins over looks. If you never rode a Brooks you don't know what you are missing.

Purchased At:   lickbike

Similar Products Used:   3 other light weight saddles

Bike Setup:   Old Trek 930. Aftermarket front shock.

Submitted by Tony from Earth

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Strengths:    Most comfortable ATB saddle
    Will last years and years if taken care of (no scuffing or wearing out the padding like conventional saddles)

Weaknesses:    Unbelievably HEAVY
    Requires some maintenance
    Will ruin if left outside in rain
    Break-in period

Bottom Line:
    Why give this a 5 chili rating despite all the weaknesses? Simply put, this is the most comfortable saddle. Many folks don't like Brooks because it requires a lengthy break-in period. I must admit, my butt felt like it was being stabbed with a knife during the first couple of weeks. But since I've used other Brooks before, I expected it. After a while, the leather will conform to the shape of your anatomy - it's as if your butt was used as a mold. That is how Brooks achieves it's comfort. And the coils, though I admit it isn't sexy, does its job. Note: This saddle is one heavy mother. But I'd rather carry around some extra weight and be super comfortable...

Purchased At:   England

Bike Setup:   Tommasini Sintesi. Yeti ARC

Submitted by Vincent Sikorski a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort, comfort, comfort..................................

Weaknesses:    Weight--may as well carry several bicks in your pockets. Not as good on big bumps as suspension seat post. Takes long time to "break in".

Bottom Line:
    Big fan of Brooks, use on both our road tandems and single road bike that I do ultra miles on. Wanted the same comfort on MTB. Picked the Conquest hoping that it would do the same duty as a suspension post. Helps on the little stuff, but back feels the big hits. Switched to a thudbuster, it is definitely better on the bigger hits. Last week rode 7 hrs of single track on my flite transAm with thudbuster. Very painful to stay seated during last hour. Switched back to the Brooks for a 6 hr single track ride today. Never even thought of my butt. If I really want to ride an anchor, I'd put the Conquest on the thudbuster.

Favorite Trail:   Round Mtn-Loookout Mtn

Similar Products Used:   Lots, most recently Flite TransAm Max on a thudbuster seat post.

Bike Setup:   Klein Adroit Race (hardtail), mix of XT & XTR with Bontranger wheels.

Conquest 24, weight reduction plan?

Hey guys, after a weeklong CX camp, my son is stoked on reducing the weight on his Conquest 24 - what do you all suggest as the best bang for the buck? Thanks, NathanRead More »

Any feedback about 2013 Redline Conquest Disc?

Ordering this frame because it looks good on paper for a disc rig. Has anyone actually ridden one? I picked it because of the price, discs, and 70mm bb drop. Will be building it up myself.Read More »

Redline Conquest Pro on Craigslist...good buy?

Hi Guys, I hate to start a thread for this but didn't really see any other place that would be appropriate. I was planning on buying either a crossrip or cannondale cx from my LBS but saw this on craigslist today within walking distance from my house. I thought I'd ask you guys what your though ... Read More »

2003 Redline Conquest Tour For Sale

I have for sale a 2003 Redline Conquest Tour Bike , my uncle passed away and I inherited his bikes. If anyone is interested in it please email me or call 480-216-6312. These bikes have never been used. Here is some information I got off of bike-Pedia otherwise I really don't know much more about the ... Read More »

Redline Conquest Classic

Been messaging lawrencebosox45 about the Metro Classic (2012 version of my bike) and decided to share some pics here in case anyone else is interested. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/4UqpP.jpg[/IMG] 700 x 35 conti speed kings, did some light off roading with these. Tire clearance is apparently up to ... Read More »