Bontrager Velo Ti Kevlar Saddle

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Bontrager Velo Ti Kevlar

Submitted by Riny de Jong a Weekend Warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Strengths:    Very light, slim design, grippy fabric. Comfort not too bad for a thin padding like on this. Better for XC (less time on the saddle) than for road use.

Weaknesses:    A little more padding would make it great for road use too. Protection in the back part would be nice too.

Bottom Line:
Great for the XC rider that spends limited time on road. Value rating 5 chilis for the price I paid and overall 4 chilis. It does the job that it's supposed to do great, when used for the purpose it's designed.

Favorite Trail:   Sandy hills & woods

Purchased At:   new at friends' garage

Similar Products Used:   Velo Plush, Massi

Bike Setup:   Cust-tec with Shi LX & XT components, Rigidas with Magura Julie discs, RS Judy SL U-turn.

Submitted by Nick Coyne a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 15, 1999

Strengths:
The kevlar covering is bomb-proof. Have wiped out at 60kph on rough tarmac and the saddle was hardly scratched. My old leather-covered piece of crap would have been shredded!

Weaknesses:
None, once I got used to the narrow shape (after a Rolls on my roadbike)

Bottom Line:
Great ride - very durable and light. What more could you want?

Knysna

more than 3 years

Turbo, Rolls, Flite Ti, Kona original?

Kona Cindercone '96 with new RST Mozo shocks

Submitted by Larry a Cross-Country Rider from Mesa, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 8, 1999

Strengths:
Light, good for off road use

Weaknesses:
Did'nt like it as a road saddle

Bottom Line:
I've got one on my mtb and the shape is good for that when you need to get up and move around. But on the roadbike it made me pretty much sore and numb. Switched roadbike to Selle Italia Flite titanium and am very happy.
Saddles are so subjective and personal, what works for me may not work for you.
I think the Bontrager shape is pretty good for offroad (gonna try a Flite there too) and pretty bad on the road. Three flamin things!

3 months

Selle Italia Flite ti, Bontrager SSM Cromo,
Schwinn Stinger, Selle Italia Turbomatic2

Submitted by Matt from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: February 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

All I can say is my ass has never been happier. I have ridden this thing hard, and crashed it even harder(many times). It doesn't give up. It rattles like it is going to break at the nose, but it has been doing that since day one. It can rattle all day if it wants to. A little noise that only I can hear is better than pulling broken seat rails out of your ass.

Submitted by Josh a racer from Maine, BABY!

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1997

Bottom Line:

Ive got one of these, So since no one else has,Ill give it a review. My bontrager came with the leather seat w/ cro-mo rails and I liked it fine, but one of the guys I work with said he'd trade me it for the all kevlar one with ti rails. Titanium. Kevlar. Cool. This seat has the features I liked in the old one, like it's narrow in the back for down hills and my ass was already used to the shape. Aside from that, the kevlar has a cool grippy feel and the seat seems a bit softer. A downside to the all kevlar design is that the seat is a big sponge if my bikes on the roof racks when its raining. Other than that, so far, so good.