Bontrager Selle San Marco Ti Saddle

4.43/5 (14 Reviews)

Bontrager Selle San Marco Ti

Submitted by Jan Mork a Cross Country Rider from ¨Stockholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2001

Strengths:    Hi folks!
Said about a year ago I would get back to you about the Bonty Ti-saddle I got. I´ve ridden it for about a year now and it really rules...
After using the cro-mo which I really liked, this was even better, and lighter (ah well, just 6 grams...). It still fits fits my rearend great AND gives a smoother ride as well. 206 grams and Ti-rail is the way to go I think!

Weaknesses:    Nowt!

Bottom Line:
This is a really great saddle! I don´t know if these SSM Bonty saddles are made anymore, but if you find one grab it as it has to be one of the best buys ever.

Please Keith, start building bikes again! I really need a Race Lite!!!

Favorite Trail:   Jaerva

Purchased At:   Cykelstallet

Similar Products Used:   Lots of SSM-saddles.

Bike Setup:   Stock (more or less...)Bontrager Priv. Comp ´98.

Submitted by C. Klein a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight _and_ comfortable

Weaknesses:    Perforated leather tears easily

Bottom Line:
Comfy. Have spent long days on this saddle. Afraid to put it on my mtn bike, since leather is very thin and has already been torn. Kevlar reinforcements would help a lot on the corners and on the nose. But, who can argue with Ti rails? Plus, Supergo was selling it for $30. Should have stocked up.

Similar Products Used:   Velo Bontrager, WTB SST

Bike Setup:   It's on my road bike

Submitted by Pablo a Cross-Country Rider from Merrimack

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1999

Strengths:
Very comfortable, lightweight seat!

Weaknesses:
Doesn't protect the nether regions like a Liberator or a Specialized body geometery

Bottom Line:
The best seat I have ever owned with the exception of the fact it isn't erganomically correct to prevent numbness and disfunction. It fits well, is superlight, and strong, but to protect my future I have switched to a '99 Specialized Ti body geometry comp which works well but is slightly heavier.

Pawtuckaway

1 Year

Terry Men's Liberator, Specialized Ti Body Geometry

97 Specialized M2 Comp, with an Answer Manitou SX Ti, and Thompson Elite seatpost

Submitted by tko a Cross-Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: May 26, 1999

Strengths:
comfy, cheap, light and allows me to manuever well on the downhills

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
Downhills aren't the Mantra's best strenght, but one key is gripping the saddle with your thighs. The cut away saddle allows me manuever a little easier over my normal Flight, and has actually improved my downhill times. Comfort is fine, but I can ride a Flight carbon for hours with no pain, so maybe I'm just weird. My SDG experiment did cause me severe tush pain, so maybe everyone has an optimum saddle shape. Couldn't beat the price at Supergo, and the yellow/blk color looked nice on the yellow Klein.

6 months

SDG, Flight(s)

Mantra with Thompson

Submitted by Jimbo a Cross-Country Rider from dartmouth ma

Date Reviewed: April 30, 1999

Strengths:
light, pretty

Weaknesses:
takes some getting used to ,Color is wearin away

Bottom Line:
I got this saddle to replace the bontrager10 on my fisher, I liked the shape of the bontrager, but wanted to drop some weight,so when supergo had them for 30 bucks I went for it.afte the first ride i was refering to it as 194 grams of pain.maybe i had gone to far.I imediately ordered awtb sst.but, by the time it came in i had grown some calluses in stategic spots and was starting to tolerate it . now i can ride about 2 1/2 hrs with only minor discomfort. we will give it another month to see if it improves. i was disaponted that the collor appears to be wearing off but, what the heck it was only 30 bucks.five chillies for the weight and looks-minus one for the discomfort and wear.

arcadia forest r.i.

less than 1 month

bontrager 10

fisher joshua x1

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Gainesville, FL

Date Reviewed: April 1, 1999

Strengths:
Narrow design allows for quick behind the saddle menuevers on nesty down hills

Weaknesses:
possibly sacrified comfort

Bottom Line:
good saddle.

more than 3 years

c-dale, marzochi Z1

Submitted by Bob a racer from Libertyville. IL

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've got this saddle on a Klein Pulse II which is definitely not soft in the rear. The shape fits me great. The shell flexes well and the cutaway rear is greta for downhill sections. I use the flite Ti on the road and tried it off road but it was much too hard. I've also tried the San Marco 601 pirelli suspension and was not very impressed. The old turbo was reasonable comfy but quite a pig in the weight dept 400g. BTW Brad from Athens below, the '99 model has a dropped nose.

Submitted by RON a cross-country rider from COPIAGUE,N.Y. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 24, 1999

Bottom Line:

I OWN A CROMOLY VERSION ON MY HARD TAIL.BOUGHT THE TI version for my dualie after i broke a saddle with carbon rails that came with the bike.(tip;NEVER BUY A SADDLE WITH CARBON RAILS FOR A MOUNTAIN BIKE ULESS YOU DON'T PLAN ON SITTING FOR THE DURATION OF A LONG RIDE!! ) noticed there was less padding on the ti version than on te cromoly version,but the flex of this saddle more than makes up for it.very comfortable,easy to slide off for down hills.scratched the side on my first ride,but after 6 months of hard ridig,scratch has not spread.rails have neat calibratin marks for fore-aft adjustment.takes sting out of unexpected hits.getting one for my hardtail.shop around,you can always save a few bucks on this saddle.

Submitted by Triple J a cross-country rider from Indianapolis, In

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

If you are debating between this saddle and the one with steel rails, try
to lay down the cash for the Ti model. I'm NOT a titanium fan, but in
this application, it works. I've used the steel and the Ti models, and
Ti is noticeably more supple. It gives just enough to take the edge off
of hits and is definitely pays off after a day full of riding. Also, this
saddle design is the best I've found. It's very easy to get behind on
steep descents and is comfortable.

Submitted by TURK a weekend warrior from Springfield, Va

Date Reviewed: February 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had this saddle for 6 months now and I can say that ever since I
got it I've been envying you guys with your WTB's and Titec's because my
crotch HURTS! This saddle is comfy if you slide ALL the way back but if
your tired, you don't think about those things. I can say that construction
is first rate and the Ti rails really help out.

Submitted by michael a racer from san diego

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

I like this saddle a lot: light, nice shape, especially for the steeps and very comfortable. I've run mine for four years and have no complaints. One of the main things that I like about this saddle is the fact that the ti rails absorb some of the harder hits when seated (I'm a hartailer) and the fact that you never have to worry about the saddle breaking on you when your half way across Egypt.

Submitted by Joe a cross-country rider from branchville,NJ

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

MY ASS STILL HURTS. AND I GOT A SDG 3 MONTHS AGO AND THEY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Matt Gersib a racer from Lincoln, NE

Date Reviewed: November 6, 1997

Bottom Line:

Very good. I have one cro-mo and one Ti and it seems like the leather is better quality (softer) on the Ti saddle. Because of this it seems a little more comfortable. I like both, though.

Submitted by Brad a racer from Athens, GA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

This is the perfect race saddle for me. Light weight, Ti rails flex for added comfort, cutaway rear makes it very easy to get behind the saddle on steep descents, and I like firm seats (if their contour fits my sitbones, which this one does). I use a Flite ti on my road bike, but for Mt. biking a prefer this saddle. If only they would make the nose slant down slightly.