Bontrager Selle San Marco Cromo Saddle

2.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Bontrager Selle San Marco Cromo

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    It's a bit too strong actually, but some people like that. I mean, these days even new, high end bikes are made pretty comfy, but not so long ago saddle comfort was not a consideration in a high performance bike, at least not as regarded the saddle itself. This saddle has a good shape for maneuvering around when you're off the saddle, attacking in a race or making a steep decent. I would not land on this saddle--or for that matter, any saddle.

Weaknesses:    Basically, if you're a downhiller or technical rider, this might be a good saddle because you don't really sit all that much if you're doing it right and it's one of the few places on a downhill bike you can really save some weight, but this is absolutely not a saddle that you want to be sitting on for two or three hours at a time doing cross-country or touring.

Bottom Line:
The nose was like some kind of torture device no matter how I angled the saddle--and trust me, I tried everything. It's too high and hard in the middle, so it feels like you're litting on a leather covered pole.

To tell the truth, I suspected it was just repeated stress disorder that was causing me such enormous pain in my groin and back. Then Christmas came and my brother, who knows absolutely nothing about bikes, got me a new saddle. In fact, he got me a saddle I never would have bought for myself (I would have gotten something much more expensive and high tech), in fact my other brother (who claims to know absolutely everything about bikes) had this look on his face when I opened it like "the big dummy got him a cheapo saddle." I put it on my bike and that thing changed my world. Suddenly I could ride as many hours as I liked and that's when I realized just how nasty the Selle San Marco was--a cinder block might be more comfortable. Yeah, the right saddle does make all the difference and the Selle San Marco is not the right saddle.

On the other hand, I don't want to knock Bontrager over my experience with this one saddle. I mean, these things are made for riders; they're not comfort saddles--and hey folks, I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of in putting the most comfortable saddle you can find on your bike even if it's not the most impressive or most expensive. Like I said up top, the geometry of this saddle is excellent for manuevering, it's just not something you want to take a long sit on.

I do have a Bontrager FS 2000 on my Trek 8000 and I like it so far. Mighty comfy and has a good technically minded shape. However, I'm going to have to roast the Selle San Marco--I guess it's model year 1997.

Also, notice that Mr. Bontrager himself posted below. I'm very impressed by that. I'm pretty sure Trek's people check on our posts pretty often, because I've seen a lot of product design improvements year after year that followed exactly with the commentary on these pages.

Favorite Trail:   One where I can hear NO cars

Purchased At:   Came stock on my older Trek when bought used for the frame

Similar Products Used:   I have quite a collection of saddles, but my favorite has to be one my brother got me for Christmas, made by TFI in Italy. That saddle is a work of art. It's lighter than many saddles four times the price. Before the TFI I thought an aching back and sore gonads were a natural symptom of cycling too much--not so!!

Bike Setup:   I have a Trek cro-moly rigid frame that I built up myself with racing parts--totally sweet bike--and the other is a Trek 8000

Submitted by Al F a Weekend Warrior from NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    it gives me a new bruise every time i go out riding

Bottom Line:
This seat sucks don't buy it, I hope you never have to go through this kind of @ss pain...

Favorite Trail:   any one

Purchased At:   it came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Any other seat would be beter than this piece of junk

Bike Setup:   read review for bruiser 2 if you really want to know

Submitted by casual rider a Cross-Country Rider from from avalon

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
can use as a hammer to straiten rims

Bottom Line:
set on it for 5 min. hard as a rock! yeah light 240g but who cares? I got only one butt

watershed

less than 1 month

Submitted by Jan Mork a Cross-Country Rider from Stockholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1999

Strengths:
I´ts light and fits my rearend perfectly! This saddle is really great.

Weaknesses:
None that I know of. Oyeah, the Bonty-logo wears off real quick. No big deal though.

Bottom Line:
Great saddle at a great price. Was thinking of a Flite, but this was a way better deal. Just bought a SSM Bonty Titanium saddle. I´ll get back to you on that one.

6 months