Bontrager Select Saddle

• Cover: Synthetic Leather
  • Soft and comfortable ride

Submitted by klyleq67 a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2010

Strengths:    build quality seems to be quite robust, degree of flex in body of the seat is nice and plenty of padding

Weaknesses:    a little heavy and a touch narrow

Bottom Line:
only ridden on this seat a few times and it feels unusually uncomfortable for all the padding etc. I think given the right set up this seat will be v.comfortable but not sure if I have the patience to fiddle around with settings when I can just whack a SDG Bel Air seat on the bike and ride into the sunset with little thought of carrying a haemorrhoid cushion with me everywhere

Favorite Trail:   Ourimbah State Forest

Similar Products Used:   SDG Bel Air

Bike Setup:   KHS Team hardtail running Avid brakes and SLX/XT drivetrain

Submitted by analogmike a Weekend Warrior from Kelowna, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    It's more comfortable than sitting on a bare seatpost.

Weaknesses:    It's only marginally more comfortable than sitting on a bare seatpost.

Bottom Line:
This is the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever ridden with. Even a 10 minute ride was painful. I tried to get used to it but eventually broke down and got a comfortable saddle that I can ride for hours. Stay away from this saddle unless you have no choice.

Favorite Trail:   The ones out my front door

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Nothing this bad.

Bike Setup:   07 Trek Fuel EX6, WTB PureV, Specialized Eskar front, The Captain rear.

Submitted by spiritbear a Cross Country Rider from Bangkok, Thailand

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2009

Strengths:    Can move around on it to try to ease the pain. It has not fallen off yet--but maybe if it had I would have replaced it already. In the hunt now as a result of the pain after 2 hour or so.

Weaknesses:    Hey it's a cheap, stock saddle so it's nothing but weak.

Bottom Line:
Needed to get a bike here and was not sure about the reality of riding in this crazy city, but finally bit the bullet. The 4300 seemed like a safe bet. I knew the saddle most likely sucked, but was not going to shell out any more cash until I knew riding was going to be a regular deal here. Well found some great routs and now am out 3-4 hours at a time, but my ass is suffering miserably, even while typing this. I thought 1500 - 2000 miles should hardened things up, but not with this saddle. No substitute for a good saddle if you can afford it. Brooks may be heavy, but it's time to invest in the best.

Favorite Trail:   anything I can ride

Purchased At:   LBS came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Avocett 02

Bike Setup:   Stock '09 Trek 4300, but the seat is the first thing I'm now changing.

Submitted by m2fit4u2 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2009

Strengths:    Price, Comfort

Weaknesses:    Poor Quality but what do you expext for a $10 saddle.

Bottom Line:
This $10 saddle (on sale) is more comfortable than my $130 WTB Devo. The WTB Devo is not bad, but you seem to lose comfort when you go with a lighter saddle. These are just my opinions, I am no pro rider, I put on about 50 miles a week. I feel this is a good saddle for the money.

Purchased At:   Metro Bike & Sport

Similar Products Used:   WTB Devo

Bike Setup:   Yeti ARC

Submitted by pabiker7 a Weekend Warrior from Pa

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheaply made
hurts
falls apart

Bottom Line:
Don't buy unless you like having a sore butt and a saddle that falls apart after a month.

WTB Silerado Pro

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500

Submitted by ZombieFood a Weekend Warrior from Margate

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Its not a sharp punji stick

Weaknesses:    its a blunt punji stick

Bottom Line:
Better than sitting on the seat post naked but its really not that great. I figured i should ride it a bit to get used to it and I did. Its ok when I am riding it but later that day after riding 2 hrs, the movie Deliverance comes to mind. Like someone hit me in the butt with a hammer.

Favorite Trail:   Markham,Oleta

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   cheap seats on department store bikes (which are better)

Bike Setup:   05 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Submitted by Ktse a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2008

Strengths:    - Pretty light? I don't race competitively so it's not like I'm noticing the difference.
- It's a saddle and it was actually somewhat comfortable when it wasn't bent.

Weaknesses:    - Durability; there is none. The rails are bent completely into the seat and I wouldn't consider myself too aggressive or considered too heavy for the average seat (165 lbs). My 10 year old seat on my beater still has perfectly straight rails.

Bottom Line:
Do not waste your money on this seat! If you get this seat with your bike, try to get the LBS to switch it with a different seat; anything but this!

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Velo saddle on my beater.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Wahoo pretty much all stock.

Submitted by Holy_Roller a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    Extremely uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
This seat came on a Gary Fisher I bought about 3 months ago. Bontrager might as well sell coke bottles with seat post mounts. I walk like a mule just kicked my boys after an hour of riding. Prior to this seat, I rode a Specialized, and never thought twice about the seat. I kept thinking I just needed to adjust to this one, but after 3 months of brutality, I'm going back to Specialized or WTB.

Purchased At:   Came with Gary Fishe

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Supercaliber 29er

Submitted by vineetdesigns a Downhiller from Chandigarh, Chandigarh UT, INDIA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2008

Strengths:    None.... not even rails

Weaknesses:    The whole thing

Bottom Line:
I had to buy this saddle as there was no other option at the store. My cycle fell once...and the cloth on the side just came off. My friend was trying a small drop on my bike..and could not land properly..so he was all over the saddle...and the whole saddle was like as it has melted as the rails were gone. I somehow straigthened... and then one day i landed hard... and its all finished.
Its a pain ... you know where. Just dont buy this nightmare.

Favorite Trail:   Himachal

Purchased At:   Firefox cycle store

Similar Products Used:   none...cant compare any other saddle with this joke.

Bike Setup:   MArzocchi Bomber 66VF2, Manitou Swinger 6 way, Mavic Deetraks, Truvativ husselfelt bars, SRAM X7 triggers, SRAM X.0 rear draileur, Kenda Nevegal tires

Submitted by MTB4funATL a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA, US

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Weaknesses:    Rails, Lack of Comfort

Bottom Line:
This is a horrible product! It is very uncomfortable for me. The rails will bend and deform easily. Hade a lite crash today, gonna go look at a WTB speed V comp. Think it hade a good review and is affordable $30

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Kingston, ON

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2008

Strengths:    its better than nothing

Weaknesses:    too soft, too narrow, makes for a sore ass

Bottom Line:
This seat plain sucks, after about 1hr of riding I start to feel my sit bones hurting, by 2hrs+ its hard to sit on and for 3days after riding it feels like my ass is brused, yes its that bad. A new seat is hopefully on the way soon.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2007 Gary Fisher Hifi

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from see below

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2008

Strengths:    n/a

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my below review. Today I kicked off the pedals and came straight down on my saddle. Not the hardest I've ever done it, but the hardest to date on this bike. Saddle rails just collapsed! Well, at least I won't have any problem getting a warranty seat, but still. What a bummer.

Favorite Trail:   see below

Purchased At:   see below

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   n/a

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from S.E. Michigan

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Strengths:    Fairly light, looks good. Comfortable and agile.

Weaknesses:    Could be too hard/narrow for the larger riders.

Bottom Line:
Good saddle if you want something low profile but still comfortable. I commute 5 miles to work 5-6 days a week and ride trails and street on the same bike as well. In fact I just did a 30 mile on/off road cruise without any notable discomfort. Much better than the old Selle. I have a SR Respiro I want to try, but I just don't have any reason to swap out the Bontrager!

Favorite Trail:   wherever I end up

Purchased At:   American Cycle and Fitness, Sterling Heights

Similar Products Used:   Selle something from the 90's, various other saddles.

Bike Setup:   07 Tassajara

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2007

Strengths:    -free from a friend
-it's a place to sit
-light (of course, not having a saddle would be light as well)

Weaknesses:    -each time I ride, it takes a day to recover
-I've sat on park benches more comfortable

Bottom Line:
I probably don't ride as often as I should to get the rock solid rear-end it requires to feel comfortable on a seat like this. The pro racers seem to have glutes of steel and could probably ride something like this. Of course, they could probably ride on a sheet of titanium and still not feel any pain. If your not one of these, though, do yourself a favor and buy a seat that won't leave you regretting the ride the next day.

Favorite Trail:   the kind for mountain biking

Submitted by George a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2007

Strengths:    Cheaper than a vasectomy.

Bottom Line:
Worst seat on the face of the planet. PAINFUL! Came equipped on a new Trek I purchased. This isn't my first rodeo, but after riding that bike for an hour I would rather have a bull kick me in the balls than hop on that thing again. If you have an annoying co-worker/friend/relative that wants to ride with you give them this seat as a gift. They will never bother you again. Seriously, the worst saddle I have ever ridden.

When Passion turns to Confusion - Help Uglyguy select a bike

I really don't like the bike industry. Why? Because there's too much to choose from these days. I need a bike. Actually I need a few. Ok so I don't [I]need[/I] a few. I want a few, and I plan on buying a few. I just don't know which ones yet. I plan on having 5 in my stable when all is said a ... Read More »

New Shimano inside-the-dropouts gear-select 3-speed

The big "S" has decided to join MBI, SRAM and SunRace Sturmey-Archer and move gear selection on three speed hubs inside the dropouts with their new SG-3R75: [url=http://www.velobiz.de/Uploads/acd63fe9-df32-4306-81a1-206ad61f68b1.jpg]Picture[/url] with optional/removable roller brake. That ~looks ... Read More »

Help me select new flat pedals

I have eggbeaters on but I want a pair of flats to run around town or if I'm going to the park. My preference is somewhere below $75, and something lighter. I'm not tooooo much of a weight weenie but if I have the choice I would prefer a lighter pedal. I am open to a resin flat if it is proven to be ... Read More »

Help me select value brake replacement

I have an entry-level 29er that I am swapping out most trash components on a budget. It came with the dreaded Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes and they are next on the chopping block. With a budget of $100, what would you reccommend and why? I am looking at these as options: - Avid BB5 calipe ... Read More »

Select Club Ride apparel closeout

[url=http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/club-ride-mens-go-west-short-sleeve-jersey]Club Ride Mens Go West Short Sleeve Jersey at BikeTiresDirect[/url]Read More »