Bontrager Race Lite Saddle

4.33/5 (27 Reviews)
Weight : 230 grams MSRP : $50.00

Patented "clipped ears" Bontrager rear end for easy exit and re-entry during technical maneuvers. Made in Italy by Selle San Marco.

Available with cromoly ($50) or Ti rails ($100).

Submitted by chunjin a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Strengths:    It may be light??? It has a nice shape.

Weaknesses:    This is the worst saddle that I have ever had. I am used to Flite saddles and will replace this one with another

Bottom Line:
Aweful. Do not waste your money on this bottom buster.

Favorite Trail:   Nobel Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Flite saddles

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel EX9

Submitted by Caleb Cole a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Strengths:    I have the Race Lite TI rails, and i love it! it is so supportive were i need it and the shape is comfortable for long riding.

Bottom Line:
Buy it if you don't own it!

Purchased At:   Bike Line

Similar Products Used:   other bontrager saddles

Bike Setup:   schwinn hardtail with front suspension, icon 90 degree t-stem, bontrager race lite lux ti seat, upgraded pedals

Submitted by Steve K a Cross Country Rider from Columbia Falls, MT

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    ULTRA LIGHT! Super shock absorption. Looks great.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses?

Bottom Line:
What a huge relief to my pelvic bones! I can't believe a 205 gram saddle could be this comfortable. The shock absorption is amazing! The San Marco Blaze Gel I was riding should be classified as a weapon of a$$ destruction and banned! Lucky for San Marco there is no category to review that medieval torture device. I bought the Titanium rail version of the Bontrager Race Lite CRZ, and it was worth very penny of the $85 price tag. Highly recommended if you want a high comfort ultra light saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Flathead NF Fire Roads

Similar Products Used:   Vetta Trishock TT (great saddle, despite the reviews), Selle San Marco Blaze Arrowhead Gel (OH the horrible pain!)

Bike Setup:   03' Jamis cro-mo hardtail, Manitou R7 Super, XT drivetrain, Avid SD-7 rim brakes, Bontrager Race Lite CRZ Ti, Eggbeater SL pedals.

Submitted by CJ Parker a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    light and well designed for technical manuverability, looks nice also. comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Saddles are personal preference IMO but I was surpised at the negative reviews here. This is a race saddle on a race bike. The best Mtbike racing saddle I have ever used. I would even buy it as an aftermarket product. Never catches on technical situtations and provides easy manuverability. It's strong with the ti rails (a tad amount of flex) and is reasonably light at 220grams. I ride this on race day and 3-4 hour epic rides. It's comfortbale to me. I can't ask for more in a saddle. For road use, will keep my Flite Trans Am though.

Similar Products Used:   multiple selle italia models road and off road, WTB SSX

Bike Setup:   Fuel 100, mostly stock except CK headset,egg beaters, and whatever tire choice is for the day.

Submitted by loonyOne a Weekend Warrior from Waterloo, IA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Strengths:    Nice design with definitive accents meant for a reason. Titanium rails. Very light.

Weaknesses:    Very 'slippery' and very narrow.

Bottom Line:
First off, I'm a bonified WTB saddle guy. They fit me well. I have had quite a few of them and have never strayed...til now. Had some bikes stolen and this saddle came on one of the bikes I have replaced. Me no likey! Very slippery! It always felt as though I was in a different spot on the saddle, nothing like the 'grounded' feel a WTB gives. I am willing to give it some more chances, but as winter approaches, time in the saddle must be valued and appreciated, not fought with. Maybe I'll give it another shot next year. I slightly downgraded the rating to reflect my personal opinion of the fit.

Favorite Trail:   Sugar Bottom

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Coda, and various other cheap ones

Bike Setup:   DeKerf Generation...Fox RCL100, XT and XTR bits, flavored with King hubs

Submitted by Ross from Scotland

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2005

Strengths:    Killer looks, titanium rails, amazing price, low weight, comfort

Weaknesses:    That bontrager dont advertise there products! wish id found it sooner

Bottom Line:
Just a well made good saddle, its really cheap so i was weary but its been really good, so comfy and when combined with the titanium rails and a carbon post takes the sting out of my hardtail.

Purchased At:   alpinebikes

Similar Products Used:   Titec armour, specialized body geometry

Bike Setup:   Fisher hardtail, sram x9, rockshox reba race with poplock, fsa and bontrager carbon parts.

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Kent, WA USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Strengths:    The length of the saddle let's you really move around. Comfort, Shape. Styling.

Weaknesses:    It took awhile to get it adjusted right for me.

Bottom Line:
Saddles that feel great to some people don't to others. Obviously they are very personal. But for me this is a great saddle. Note that this is the Race model without the extra padding/gel and all the extra stiching. I would rather not have all the bells and whistles in a saddle. It did take awhile to get the nose angle adjusted properly, once I did the comfort level went up, Big Time.

So the lesson is take the time to make minor adjustments to your saddle and it may pay off. Also you need to break in the saddle as well as your body.

If you only ride occasionally you may never be comfortable on ANY saddle.

Purchased At:   Singletrack Bikes

Similar Products Used:   FS2000, San Marco Concur, Sella Italia TurboMatic

Bike Setup:   Klein Palomino Race, Stock

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Strengths:    Ti rails--If I knew before now that titanium rails made such a difference, I would have been using them for years and years by now.

Gel insert--it's not too mushy. It does the job just right.

Fantastic design--lots of stitching, just enough give, shaped just right for to be comfortable but perform better than any other saddle I've used.

Weaknesses:    That I didn't find out about it earlier.

Bottom Line:
This is one of those saddles that, years later, your going to hang like a trophy on your wall or keep on the mantle just for show.

I paid the difference on this saddle as a warranty replacement for a Bontrager FS2000 which ripped on it's own. It was a real shame too, because I thought that was the best saddle ever. But forget the FS2000; THIS is the best saddle EVER! Everything outside of comfort which is great about the FS2000 is far better on the Race Lite.

When I first put it on my bike and rode it I thought it was actually longer than any other saddle I rode before. It isn't, but there's certainly more space to play around on with this saddle. I never rode a saddle before which allowed me to adjust my position mid-ride so much. And once you get it set just right for yourself it's very comfortable.

Performance wise, it's like it's not even there. It's that easy to move both on it and around it.

I like the colors, but I went with black because it fit the overall design of my bike well. I'm going to get a yellow one to go on my other bike.

Favorite Trail:   I like it rough an' dirty baby!

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager FS 2000--which the Race Lite was a replacement for. 1995 Selle San Marco--I think that was the model as well as the brand; a real torture trap which came stock on a 1995 TREK. TFI Liberator--made in Italy, extremely comfortable, but I completely wore it out. And a Vetta Gel, back in the day.

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 8000 with Shimano 959 pedals, Shimano XT bottom bracket and crankset, titanium skewers, Bontrager Race Lite titanium rail saddle, and Panacer Fire XC tires.

Submitted by Kevin Woodward a Cross Country Rider from Soquel, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    This is for a Race Lite Ti ... much superier to the standard Race Lite. Solid, bombproof. A little expensive retailing for $120, but you can find online for less. Hey, it looks *great* too.

Weaknesses:    It's hard as a rock if you're in it for longer than an hour, but my butt is way out of shape and all skin & bones. It's pretty comfortable overall, tho.

Bottom Line:
Far better than I deserve. Pretty much a high-end product. Oh, don't buy the non-Ti version. It's a completely different saddle and basically, it sucks.

Favorite Trail:   West Ridge, Forest of Nisene Marks

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Lower end Bontrager.

Bike Setup:   2000 Sugar 2, Thomson post and stem, Monkeylite bars, XT crank and bottom bracket, Panaracer FireXCPros, Eggbeaters, sucky stock wheelset (next and final upgrade)

Submitted by rave a Weekend Warrior from zurich

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
"read" not "wrote".

Submitted by rave a Weekend Warrior from zurich

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
To the rider below my post.
i wrote the reviews here and bought it for a try, yes this saddle are great as it is rated.
to da dukester,
No, u have to get the ti version with the gel padding and kevlar sides as it's more comfortable .
and not the crappy cheap chromoly version with no extra gel padding and kevlar.
Or you might be a heavy rider because i have a nephew too who are quite heavy. light racing saddles like many ranges of selle italia and many more does not suit him and it seems he have to go on for a downhill kind of saddle or pretty heavy SGD saddle.

Submitted by DG a Cross Country Rider from Lake Zurich

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2002

Strengths:    Lite

Weaknesses:    comfort

Bottom Line:
This saddle sucks! The people that have given this product a thumbs up must have purchased the buns of steel video! I have been ridding for over 10 years and have never had such a terrible experience in my life! If its so important for you to take a small amount of weight off your bike then get this saddle. If you would like to have a lite seat with some comfort then get something else. After reading the reviews from the other riders on this web site I went out and got this seat. What a mistake and waste of money!!!!!

Purchased At:   performance

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher full xtr

Submitted by sebastian a Racer from canada

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Strengths:    designs,comfort,light,colour sceheme.

Weaknesses:    so far, NO!

Bottom Line:
Get the ti version, the padding is different from the cromo version ,enabling more comfort.

Similar Products Used:   ranges of san marco and selle italia.

Bike Setup:   seven custom ti,full xtr,crossmax,sid ti etc.

Submitted by boski a Weekend Warrior from utah

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Strengths:    sleek,cool design, everyhing u asked for in a saddle

Weaknesses:    sleek,cool design, everyhing u asked for in a saddle

Bottom Line:
sleek,cool design, everyhing u asked for in a saddle

Submitted by PREACHER a Weekend Warrior from utah

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Have been testing many kinds of saddles over the years, although this is not the best of the saddles i have ridden but i reckon to give it 5 hot chilies in terms of design,price and comfort.

Help - 1997 Bontrager Race Lite crankset

I'm in process of rebuilding by 97 Bontrager. It's taken some abuse over the years but looks like it's going to clean up very nice. I've post a few photos over on the Bontrager thread: [URL]http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/official-bontrager-thread-3836-36.html[/URL] It's all origi ... Read More »

2013 Bontrager Race X Lite TLR Wheels

Guys, I am looking into getting a new set of wheels for my SF100 SL Elite. It did come with some decent ones but my wife needed a new set so I gave them to her and began my quest for new hoops. Currently I am running some ZTR Flows on Chris King 36h hubs laced to straight 14 gauge spokes. I had the ... Read More »

Favorite Race-Lite (non race) tires?

I know I cant be alone thinking that 29er tires are particularly important, especially since tire weight is more dramatic on 29ers than a 26" wheel. For about a year now Ive been holding my breath for manufacturers to catch on to this more than they have for us XC/Trail guys and offer some more opti ... Read More »

Race X Lite Wheels flexy?

180lbs+ gear on carbon hard tail riding XC running tubes. I want as light as i can get within reason but dont want to sacrifice stiffness. Are these wheels going to be too flexy? (my pet peeve). FWIW I found Mavic wheels have been much more stiff than Race X Lites on my road bike. Do you th ... Read More »

Bontrager Race Lite Disc 29 (non-TLR)

Posted this originally in tires and wheels but I figured since Bonty is a Trek brand, I'd get more opinions in here: "OK, I got a wheelset from ebay to go tubeless on my 2011 Trek X-Caliber. The ad did say that it had one Bonty rimstrip and one Stans rimstrip. I didn't think anything of it until ... Read More »