Bontrager Inform RL Saddle

3.89/5 (9 Reviews)

• Three width options allow a perfect match to your sit bones
  • Custom Tuned Shell for support and comfort
  • Superlight ZONE DENSITY foam adds support
  • Hollow stainless steel rails

Submitted by Michael Chin a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2013

Strengths:    Firm,comfortable and I stayed in the saddle. No sliding around. I ride 150 to 180 miles a week. I used to use the Selle Italia gel flow saddle. I liked that saddle too but the Bontrager is more comfortable and the price is better.

Weaknesses:    Myself.

Bottom Line:
I have been cycling for most of my life. 50 years plus to be exact. I have learned that most of us are not as good as our equipment. At 58 years old I can tell you that I can appreciate how wonderful bikes have advanced. Stop obsessing about the equipment and just ride! Have fun and build a healthier body and mind!

Favorite Trail:   Over the George Washington bridge to 9w.

Purchased At:   Tony's Bikes in Asto

Bike Setup:   Colnago Master light. Dura Ace components. Open 4CD rims.

Submitted by Twenty Times a Cross Country Rider from Long Island

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2010

Strengths:    Nice design
Light
durable

Weaknesses:    Hard

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 128mm off of ebay. I liked the design and the price was right. I put it on my bike and used for about 150 miles and could not get used to it. I prefer low profile saddles and usually use harder seats, but I could not get used to it. I think it was the width.

If you know your size, you can score this saddle cheap. It is pretty good quality, just not for me. I am a bigger rider. If Bontrager provided a "rule of thumb" for picking widths, it would have been helpful.

Favorite Trail:   Glacier Ridge

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager R, WTB Rocket V, others

Bike Setup:   2009 HiFi Deluxe

Submitted by painless a Cross Country Rider from Vilnius, Lithuania

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfortable, selectible size, shape, colour.

Weaknesses:    Back side can damage your tights

Bottom Line:
128 mm size fitted to me very well. It wasn't very comfortable during the first rides, especially in the road when needed to sit for a long time. Need to mention that it was the beginning of the riding season. But ride after ride, and it started to look as the best saddle I ever tried.
Only the back shape can somtimes demage your tights during the downhill when you try to stand behind the saddle.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Rocket, Merida X-mission

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Azure w/ Fox RP23 & F100 RL, Mavix XMax SLR 2k9, Sram X.9 gearshift, XT cranks

Submitted by MTBERMISS a Cross Country Rider from Mississippi

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2010

Strengths:    Style and comfort. The 146mm size is perfect for my 170 pound frame.

Weaknesses:    None So Far

Bottom Line:
The saddle is a great low cost addition and upgrade of my old WTB saddle which weighed twice as much and didnt cost much less. I would recommend this saddle to those who experience constant pain from their old saddles. I would also recommend that you be fitted to the correct size.

Favorite Trail:   Clear Creek

Similar Products Used:   WTB speed v saddle. To heavy and unconfortable

Bike Setup:   Motobecane fantom trail HT Sub 24 pounds for cross country and road riding

Submitted by wmike83 a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, white and comfortable

Weaknesses:    The back catches on your shorts sometimes, actually ripped a pair.

Bottom Line:
This saddle is good. I love that it comes in white. I went to my lbs and rode a few saddles around, I wasn't even looking at this saddle, but this one was by far the most comfortable. My criteria for a saddle was light but still comfortable and this one matched perfectly and even came in white, a little extra for me. After the nice break in period it is perfect. Some days I feel that I am not even sitting down. The only main problem with the saddle is the weird points at the back. They catch on down hill sections. They will rip loose shorts. My saddle also came a little lopsided, leaning to one side a bit. These are the only things holding it back from a 5'er. I recommend this saddle to anyone wanting a perfect match to your bottom with little weight penalty. Also in white.

Favorite Trail:   Regency Park, Cary, NC

Bike Setup:   2007 specialized hardrock comp disc almost entirely upgraded

Submitted by Wpalermo a Cross Country Rider from Willowbrook

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Strengths:    Most comfortable saddle I have ever had.
Put it on, rode miles and miles and had no soreness.

Weaknesses:    Snagged and tore 2 pair of baggy shorts in 1 week. Slid off the saddle for fast downhills and tore the shorts sliding back on. Both shorts were good, expensive biking shorts. One pair Trek, one Pearls so it was definitely caused by the 2 little points at the rear of the saddle. Too bad, really liked it, alas had to return it.

Bottom Line:
Comfy saddle, too expensive to keep replacing shorts. Probably OK if you don't wear baggies.

Favorite Trail:   Any singletrack

Purchased At:   City Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Race Lite

Bike Setup:   08 Fuel EX 9.0, King BB, King Headset, I9 wheels,
Kenda Klimax Lite's, SRAM, SRAM, SRAM

Submitted by IrideItAll a Racer from Birmingham, AL USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2009

Strengths:    Comfort, Weight, Appearance, Strength

Bottom Line:
This seat is extremely comfortable and long enough for taller riders. Seat looks snazzy, is light and feels great. What more do you need

Favorite Trail:   Tsali- Mouse/Right Loop

Purchased At:   Gift from Friend

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia XO

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized Rockhopper, RockShox Tora 302, Sun Mach IV Rims, Maxxis High Roller tires, Shimano Deore LX components, RaceFace Diabolous Stem

Submitted by Carn a Racer from Dumfries, VA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2008

Strengths:    Light, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Pointed edges of saddle may snag shorts. Have never had an issue wgile wearing the road shorts, but has had some small grabs with baggies. Never had it grab bad enough to effect my riding.

Bottom Line:
I have put quite a few miles in on this saddle. Have raced it three time and finished with zero soreness. Have done two spin around town rides in regular old shorts. Keep the rides with no chamois under 10 miles and you will have no issues. I buzzed around DC for about 15 miles and had a bit of soreness after 15 miles, but not the type that you're feeling the next day. It looks good, is very comfortable, and isn't to firm or to soft.

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycles