Bontrager FS 2000 Saddle

3.91/5 (79 Reviews)
Weight : 330 grams MSRP : $40.00

• FS 2000 employs Bontragers patented "clipped ears" design for easy exit and re-entry during technical maneuvers.
  • Drop nose design for easy climbing and sprinting transitions.
  • Perianal relief zone.
  • Available with cromoly ($40) or Ti ($100) rails.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Ozona, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable and Durable

Bottom Line:
    This is my favorite saddle. I had one on my old GT Karakoram and one on my Kona Dawg Primo. When I gave the Kona to my son after I built up the Jamis, I kept the Bontrager saddle. The gel insert and the stitching have held up well. Personally, I do not care for a saddle that is cut out for most of its length as it makes me uncomfortable on technical rides of any significant length. I like the gel insert and the cutout in the back. Also, I really like the with of the saddle. I am currently looking for another one for my road bike.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   Too many different saddles to remember

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT that I put together with parts from several places

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    WOW! The best saddle I've used sofar. A drop nose to get in/out of saddle quickly with out getting poked. A gel insert for comfort. A wide back end to place my bum on. A cut out for sensitive/important body bits.

Weaknesses:    The gel insert was not placed/sewn in the exact dead center of the saddle. The quality control guy must of been asleep or on holiday.

Bottom Line:
    The best saddle I've used sofar to date. It has everything I'm looking for with the exception of a leather cover and Ti rails. But, these two features would double the price of a replacement. I'll just stick with the vinyl cover with CrMo rails.
    Bottom Line: The best saddle I've ever used.

Purchased At:   Stock on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk - Earl's Cycle (closed 2003)

Similar Products Used:   Stock saddle on 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn & replacement as stock was too short + too wide. A Vetta but not the TT (tri-shock) stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet & the Velo Crossbow when the Vetta wore out.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

Submitted by Troy a Racer from Utah

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    Weight, Strength, Comfort, Construction, Reliability, Looks, The Bontrager Name.

Weaknesses:    After four years the stitching around the gel pad is starting to wear.

Bottom Line:
    Hands down, this is one kick ass saddle for the money. It is way comfortable, and if it lasts as long as it has for me, is a well earned investment. I haven't had the problems with the rails that other reviewers have had but perhaps I got lucky. I would recomend it.

Favorite Trail:   Wheelers Canyon/Maples

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar, XT drivetrain, Avid mechs, Judy fork, Fox shox

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from North Vancouver Canada

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Strengths:    Good support, highly durable, comfy where it counts the most.

Weaknesses:    Can't find somewhere to get another one. Rails are a little loose but they went like that after a few months with no real consequences - i've been riding it for 3 years.

Bottom Line:
    Despite the loose rails I'm going to get another one of these for my other bike as soon as I can find one. The rails went a little loose after a few months but it's been no big deal for three years now. Comfort is the number one factor and I find this seat to be the most comfortable of any practical serious mtb saddle I've ever had. No numbness whatsoever after long rides - pssst, you know what I'm talking about. The stiching on mine started to go a few moths ago so I lined them with Barge cement. Now it's good for another year or two. The leather is still in good shape with no detatching from the base. Great Saddle. One chilli off for loose rails (but who really cares).

Purchased At:   On Top Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Various Vetta, Selle and Velo seats over the last 11 years

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element (3.5" dual). Before that the seat was on my hardtail for two years and was comfortable there too.

Submitted by Vince a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Strengths:    This saddle is very comfortable.Even more so if you are on long ride's.Easy in and out for those technical time's on the trail.The all black look's good too.

Weaknesses:    I have noticed that the rail's are starting to whobble abit but i have put considerable miles on it.If you can ride past that Happy trail's!

Bottom Line:
    If you are looking to save weight this is not the saddle for you but if comfort is what you are looking for it's a good performer even for the advanced xc rider.Plus it's kind to nether region if you know what i mean.Soooo having said that go out and ride!

Favorite Trail:   any!

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Specialized body geometry

Bike Setup:   NRS2,Fox Float,full xtr drivetrain.

Submitted by tmo a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Strengths:    Confort. Gel center. Price.

Weaknesses:    Construction is questionable.

Bottom Line:
    I used this saddle for close to a year before switching to a Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am. The only reason I switched was because I did not like how the saddle shakes a little bit on its rails. It started doing this shortly after I got the saddle. While the shaking never effected performance, I did worry that one day it would snap. After using the new saddle for about nine months (I found the other saddle to be better for the road), I am going back to the Bontrager. Shaking aside, I find the saddle comfortable and easy to move around on (i.e. dropping off the back).

Purchased At:   Pricepoint (i think)

Submitted by Ben from St. Cloud,MN,USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2003

Strengths:    Inexpensive, durable and comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Weight...if you're into that.

Bottom Line:
    This is the most comfortable saddle I have used to date. The other saddles mentioned above were all extremely uncomfortable usually resulting in numbness in areas I don't care to discuss. The Bontrager FS2000 on the other hand has never in almost 2 years of usage been uncomfortable or left me feeling numb. I have one on each of my bikes. The price is also tough to beat considering the great performance.

Purchased At:   Out-N-About

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Gary Fisher, no name brand...

Bike Setup:   Surly 1x1

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Saskatoon Sk Canada

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    This is a good seat it is comfortable. I ride at least 20km each time I am in the saddle on single track

Weaknesses:    Chromoly rails are terrible I have gone thru 2 saddles in 6 weeks. Trek has been great and warranty them for me but !

Bottom Line:
    Over all the seat has been good I can last for hours riding with this saddle. But The rails are not holding up. I am out of the saddle alot when I ride, for some reason I keep bending these rails I have never bent rails before. The dealer feels that I am too extreme for what the saddle can handle. I am almost 40yrs old Ya okay maybe I am doing things that most guys my age don't do but I am not jumping off cliffs I am riding single track.

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 hard tail 2003

Submitted by Rio a Racer from Tucson AZ

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort and flex

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
    Great seat for long, everyday riding. Very comfortable and forgiving. If weight is a factor, use this for training and swap to a race saddle for competition. Highly recommended, especially for the price

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry

Bike Setup:   Stock FSR XC

Submitted by Andy Wang a Cross Country Rider from 14273 Forest Crest Dr.

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Strengths:    easy to install, comfortable, fairly cheap, well designed

Weaknesses:    chromoly rails i guess

Bottom Line:
    I couldn't wait to install this bad boy on my saddle, previously i was riding with the stock saddle and it was ROCK hard... even with a gel seat cover! I rode with this around castlewood park, MO and it was really nice. I had read the reviews but i suspect the seat wasn't positioned or angled well. Super comfortable and excellent ergonomics, i didn't feel a thing after riding for 15 min. I'm just not sure if the chromoly rails will last... the gel insert is perfect and the seat just LOOKS awesome. Highly recommended and worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Castlewood

Purchased At:   beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   stock kona saddle

Bike Setup:   Kona Nunu stock.

Submitted by Thomas a Weekend Warrior from Austin

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2003

Strengths:    looks nice...

Weaknesses:    isn't comfortble.

Bottom Line:
    Ouch! This seat isn't comfortable. I put a gel cover over it and it didn't help much. I have Serfas Men's Rx on my Super-V and will soon have a 2nd one on my Trek. Most of my rides are cross country-ish during the week and more technical stuff on saturdays. It's OK if you are out of the saddle but on the weekdays I'm doing 45 minutes to 1.5 hours in the saddle and it SUCKS! Anyway, I've had it a week and won't have it much longer. 2 chilis because someone, somewhere, might like this seat.

Similar Products Used:   Serfas Rx, Tailbones, stock C-dale seat with gel cover.

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek Liquid 10 - stock

Submitted by Robin a Cross Country Rider from Holland

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    It looks good and therefor it has the idea that it feels good.

Weaknesses:    The middle section is letting loose.
    First a few stitches ant then a whole section.
    Then that sticky mess is coming to release which sticks on your butt.

Bottom Line:
    The bottom-line is that the saddle is not that bad until the weak stitches is coming to let loose.

The next saddle will be an anatomical saddle with a hole in the middle with wings at the end.

Similar Products Used:   Saddles with no midsection

Bike Setup:   Fuel90

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Macungie, PA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Strengths:    Slim design, decent padding, nice soft gel center section

Weaknesses:    Funky stitching on center section, hopefully it doesn't unravel

Bottom Line:
    Did several 20 milers on stock C-dale seat - butt always hurt. Did a 42 miler on B-trager, butt didn't hurt at all, works for me.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere Vermont, New Hampshire

Purchased At:   Spokes Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   F600 Cannondale, still stock except for Dart/Smoke tires

Submitted by Mitch a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Strengths:    Looks great. Quality construction. Easy to slide off back for downhills.

Weaknesses:    None really, newer ones do look cheaper. I bought a new one recently since I bent the rails on my original. I ended up putting my old cover on the new rails.

Bottom Line:
    I'm no racer. For long rides it's been a very good saddle, and the cover has lasted 3 years.