Bontrager FS +10 Race Saddle

4.2/5 (44 Reviews)

Bontrager FS +10 Race

Submitted by fcaw11 a Weekend Warrior from SGV, CA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    it's leather, saddle shape make it easy to slide behind saddle

Weaknesses:    Weight, just uncomfortable. My old Vetta GEL was more comfortable than this saddle!

Bottom Line:
This review is for Bontrager FS +10, not the Race version. It came stock on a Trek

Similar Products Used:   Vetta GEL

Bike Setup:   XC FS rig, mountain mix

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2004

Strengths:    Not sure.

Weaknesses:    uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
I'm scrolling through the reviews for a new seat 'cause this one hurts. I've been promising to buy myself a new saddle for the past 3 years. After every 4+ hour ride I vow to shop for another. It's hard on the sitz bones and seems to cause friction at the edge of chamois on all my shorts.

Bike Setup:   Titus LocoMoto

Submitted by Holden Megroin a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2004

Strengths:    Long wearing & looks almost new even after several years of constant use.

Weaknesses:    Nearly everything. Very, very, very, very uncomfortable. I cringe just thinking about it.

Bottom Line:
I totally agree with the other reviewers who dislike this seat. It came stock on my VRX so I'm glad that I didn't shell out a single peso for this thing. I will admit that it is of decent quality and still looks virtually brand new even after several years of use, but the yellow kevlar patches on the side have discolored some which is expected & no big deal. I finally got around to upgrading to an Azonic Love Seat and my lord what a difference! I will never again subject myself to the torture the FS+10 unleashed on my backside.

Similar Products Used:   Azonic Love Seat

Bike Setup:   Trek VRX300; stock for now...

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from New Orleans, LA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    this makes my butt, back and overall body ache after a 15 minute ride.

Bottom Line:
How the other reviewers can give this thing 5 flames, I have no clue. I do notice that nobody seems to really give it rave reviews however which I can fully understand. Granted it could be worse, I could be riding on the bare post itself.

I think I'm now impotent after riding this thing.

Similar Products Used:   surfas dd

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Big Sur

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Bloomfield Hills, Mi, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Strengths:    Made well, as to its taken a few beatings on the acount of my bad riding.

Weaknesses:    Nothing that i've noticed as of yet. I don't really go for the gel seats that much, it can hold you up when getting back off the seat on a quick down hill.

Bottom Line:
Its a nice saddle, kinda light, but well made. the shape seems to fit me well, which is a very individual butt to butt basis. Its slimmer then most seats, you can come off of it going up hill, or slidding back on a down hill really easily. Right now, these are so cheap (if you find one) it wouldnt hurt to give it a try.

Favorite Trail:   PLRA

Similar Products Used:   something that was stock i think.

Bike Setup:   yep, its setup alirght.

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from UVA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Strengths:    Awesome for the $$$. My azz is thankful that I got this saddle.

Bottom Line:
I guess saddles are very person specific, but this one worked for me. It looks good on my bike and, unlike the stock saddle on my Caldera, it doesn't make me fell like I just got out of prison. If you can still find one, buy it!

Similar Products Used:   stock saddle on Kona Caldera

Bike Setup:   Kona Caldera, wellgo pedals, Bontrager Race FS+10 saddle, Kore chain reactor, Oury grips, Cane Creek ergo control barends, Cateye enduro 2 comp

Submitted by Philipp a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    Light, not expensive, kevlar edges.

Weaknesses:    Small

Bottom Line:
Great saddle for racing, but for long rides... As* hurts very badly. It`s not for everyone. Oooo, the pain!!!

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500

Submitted by Drew Barrymore a Cross Country Rider from Stumps n' roots, Washington

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap. Perfect amount of padding. Drop nose, flat back perfect for technical trails. Cromo rails (strong), Nice Bontrager embroidery, leather and kevlar

Weaknesses:    A little ratty under side. Glued and stapled.

Bottom Line:
This saddle works and works well. I have ridden on it for thousands of miles. I just purchased another one today to replace my old one. If you're reading the feedback on this saddle or any other saddle, remember: all comments are subjective as no saddle fits everyone the same. I think it's pretty funny to read the comments people throw around about the discomfort of saddles. I can ride just about anything and seldom have problems that can't be fixed by adjusting the saddle position via the seatpost. The Bontrager FS+10 is one of my favorite seats, it's cheap and does the job as good as any other saddle out there.

Purchased At:   ppt

Similar Products Used:   SDG, Selle Italia, other Bontrager

Bike Setup:   '97 Kona Cinder Cone, '02 Chute - stock

Submitted by Mad Dog a Cross Country Rider from B-more Maryland U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    Effective door jam.

Weaknesses:    Never before, and never sense have I experienced the pain and numbness in the nether regions as with this saddle. The saddle came with my bike, and from the date of purchase on, I adjusted the saddle on every single ride. No matter the angle, set back I could never find a position that was comfortable for longer than a minute. I wouldn't have put up with the saddle for as long as I did, but buying the bike took up all my cash.

Bottom Line:
I can't imagine that I'm the only one who hates this saddle. When my brother smashed his saddle he borrowed the Bontrager for a ride. He had the same problem. Half way throught the ride he threw his bike down and started screaming hysterically. Apparently he had never had his boys fall asleep on him before. And that is what this saddle will do. It will put your boys to sleep.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco/Avalon

Purchased At:   BikeDoctor (evil bike shop)

Similar Products Used:   WTB (love!) Selle Italia: flight & mythos (OK) Specialized BG (Good but too easily broken)

Bike Setup:   Trek y-glide (POS)

Submitted by Michael Karlovich a Cross Country Rider from Belmont, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    Quite comfortable, side panels prevent the saddle from scraping when you lay the bike on it's side. Comfortable.

Weaknesses:    No major weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
It's good. I have no complaints. I think if I were to buy a saddle, I would consider this one, even if others cost more.

Favorite Trail:   Waterdog

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite

Bike Setup:   1998 K2 Proflex 4000 mixture of Deore LX and XT components, Avid Mechanical Front Disc Brake

Submitted by Pawel Szafruga a Racer from Pullman, WA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Strengths:    Shape
Weight (Ti rails on Race Lite)
Kevlar Corners

Weaknesses:    Hard to find now-a-days

Bottom Line:
The best saddle I have ever used, I can take 5hr rides and no pain or discomfort. Some saddles come close but they are over done(WTB works well, but it is harder to manuver on due to width). This saddle is simple and it works better. The Ti rails make this saddle very light. It's biggest drawback is the fact that it is extremly difficult to find. I ordered a saddle of the internet that was supposed to be the FS +10 but got something called the +10, I don't recomend that saddle, at least for me the nose was to narrow and the rear was angled to high. But the fat nose on the FS +10 is great.

Buy this saddle, you don't know how bad your saddle could be until you try this.

Favorite Trail:   Skookum Flats

Purchased At:   Bought used from previous owner

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager +10(not FS +10, just +10), WTB Super V, Sella Italia Tri-Matic

Bike Setup:   2001 Sugar 3, Bontrager Race seatpost

Submitted by Grant a Weekend Warrior from Gadsen, AL

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2000

Strengths:    Came stock. Didn't have to buy it. The slight size.

Weaknesses:    Hurts after a few good days of riding. The nose will make a punk out of you on a climb.

Bottom Line:
This seat comes close to working. The slim shape lets it never get in the way when you need to get behind it or to the side. That's good. What's bad is the change from ischial tuberosities to ishcial callosities I experience after long rides. That means it makes me like a baboon. I am prepared to accept that I am a wimp in this regard.
I weigh 200 lbs. for purposes of comparison, but I wear it well.

Favorite Trail:   East Macon (GA) Park

Bike Setup:   1999 Trek 930

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Essex, VT

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    Looks, Weight, Value

Weaknesses:    None for me

Bottom Line:
I think this saddle is great. Everything is subjective and saddles are possibly the most subjective. (Let's face it, no 2 butts are alike!) I found the old stock saddle (WTB SST.X) just plain uncomfortable. The rear was wide and hard, and just didn't work for me.

The narrow profile and thick padding of the FS+10 make the XC riding that I do very nice. I think the continual moving and shifting in XC riding (front of saddle for the climb, out of the saddle for descending, seated for rolling single track, etc.) works well with is saddle. For road riding (like bike paths with my kids), where you stay seated, it's less comfortable, about equal to the SST.X.

For the price I don't think you can go wrong if you try this one! If you spend $15 and don't like it, it's not the end of the world. This is a much more affordable experiment than a $50-$100 saddle like a Flight or a Specialized.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Johnson

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST.X

Bike Setup:   '99 Gary Fisher Kaitai with Wellgo 800 SPD

Submitted by RK a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington NC

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    Comfort, design, good looks

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I have to agree that saddles are a personal thing. I liked my Canondale until I lost about 10 lbs., then the thing felt like I was sitting on a narrow board. Go figure. Plus, climbing on the nose made me feel like the new boy on a prison cell block. So I read MTB reviews and tried the FS+10 Race for about $18. It is a great saddle. It took a few rides and a little adjusting to get it right (nose slightly down). It works great with a suspension post (unlike the flights I got with the live wire) and has a nice fat nose for climbing. It stays comfortable with my saddle high or low. Bontrager, please keep making this saddle just as it is.

Favorite Trail:   I love em all