Bontrager Evoke RL Saddle

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

High-performance MTB saddle with more padding than the RXL for a more forgiving ride. InForm Science of Comfort design based on pressure mapping and 3D motion capture data. Size Specific Curvature supports the skeletal structure in a way that's optimized for a performance-oriented riding position, resulting in greater comfort and proper blood flow. Gender-specific Contour Relief Zone (CRZ) gives added pressure relief to sensitive soft-tissue. Saddle shape is optimized for off-road riding, featuring a narrow rear profile that makes it easier to get off and on the back of the saddle and a wider nose that helps you "steer" through technical terrain using the inside of your thighs.

Submitted by jparman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Strengths:    I found this saddle to be comfortable from day one

Bottom Line:
saddles are pretty subjective. this one came on my bike and I happened to really really like it. I will be holding on to it for a while. If you are looking for a saddle, check this one out, it is worth a look.

Submitted by BmoreKen

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, competitively priced, money back guarantee

Weaknesses:    no too many, maybe the time limit on the guarantee

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with this saddle, sized up for the yellow (middle) size. Both my hardtail and rigid SS have this saddle, and I ride for at least 12 hours per week in technical Mid-Atlantic singletrack. While I won't go so far as to say that I forget that it's there, I will say that it is very comfortable for me. I have mine tilted slightly nose up from level. It's a fairly flat saddle, which I prefer. Easy to get off the back end. Get sized up, give it a try - you've got nothing to lose with the trial period no questions asked guarantee.

Similar Products Used:   Gobi XM (too narrow for me), WTB Rocket V (too much of a whale tail -- I prefer flatter saddles)

Submitted by WeakKneedOzzy

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Great feel, sleek shape, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    So far none. Slightly creaky.

Bottom Line:
Very good and comfortable.

Submitted by mjh365

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Been using for about 3 months now with no issues. I'm happy with the decision to go with this saddle, very comfortable even on the rides that have been as long as 3 hrs.

Submitted by Hugh Hover a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort and look

Weaknesses:    Took some fidgeting to get it to stop creaking but that may have been more to do with the post.

Bottom Line:
Not usually keen on a stock saddle but this one really feels great. Light and comfortable with ti rails

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Specialized, Fizik

Bike Setup:   Trek Superfly 100

Submitted by adamb a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    Light, 3 different widths, good sit bone support.

Weaknesses:    None for me - I have had people tell me they took a while to break theirs in, but I didn't have any problems.

Bottom Line:
I fit the middle width size perfectly and it works exactly as advertized. I have had no issues where it counts since getting the better suppor for my sit bones. I recommend trying one out to anyone who is having issues with their current saddle.

Similar Products Used:   Older Bontrager RL saddle, several WTB saddles, Fizik Gobi.

Submitted by Lewy

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, lightweight, good looks

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:

I have been looking for ages to get a comfy saddle and when I bought a Trek Superfly AL it came with an Evoke saddle. After a few 8 hours rides it was super comfy. I bought the Evoke RL to fit to my CX bike. So far so good after a 100km ride last weekend. One of the best saddles I have tried.

Submitted by Bruce M a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, yet sturdy enough to take crashes without ripping or breaking

Weaknesses:    It's no where near as comfy as any other quality Mnt bike saddle that I have.
I had the LBS measure my tail end with their sit-on-the pad measuring system.
It doesn't have anywhere near enough room for my jewels and being an 'anatomically designed' saddle, I wonder for what species???

Bottom Line:
I gave this saddle 3 months to 'break in'. I use tons of Bontrager gear... bars, wheelsets.. etc. and usually love their stuff. But this saddle is painful after 30 minutes of riding. I really wanted to like this product, it seems like they put a lot of thought into the materials and aesthetic appeal. But after dozzens of adjustments it's at best uncomfortable on even shot rides. I thought maybe I was being overly critical, so I replaced the RL with one of my 5 year old saddles and went back out for another 30 minute loop. It was like night and day. The older saddle was MUCH more comfortable. Saddles are obviously a personal preference, but for me the Evoke RL is only good for very short rides. Anything over an hour and I wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything but my aching ars. I did a 45 minute loop last night and I still have sore spots.

Favorite Trail:   Hochi-Min

Purchased At:   Infinity Cycles Melb

Similar Products Used:   Dozzens of Mnt Bike specific saddles

Bike Setup:   2009 Trek Top Fuel SSL full XTR.

Submitted by davytmaxx a Weekend Warrior from dundee, scotland

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    very light for amount of padding, good curved front and rear for easy on and off. well padded for seated on mildly off road without having to stand on pedals all the time. get measured, get yer bum bones on the right bit.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
good saddle for comfort and strength, very easy to move around on and nice wide nose for those long climbs when you want to be over the front. the rear's nicely squared off so not to catch shorts on. quite light but rxl is even lighter. best saddle i've used in years.

Favorite Trail:   glentress

Purchased At:   spokes

Similar Products Used:   old bonty inform r and rl saddle same size for road bikes though. sdg, wtb and specialized saddles of various sizes and guises.

Bike Setup:   orange p7 pro with hope upgrade pack. race face deus xc seatpost.