Avocet Saddle Saddle

3.66/5 (74 Reviews)

Avocet Saddle

Submitted by Lynette Zohn a Cross Country Rider from Rumson, NJ, Monmouth

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
Women, Avocet 02 Air 40, Titanium, 7", 10.2"

Favorite Trail:   United States

Bike Setup:   Women, Avocet 02 Air 40, Titanium, 7", 10.2"

Submitted by cuseman03 a Racer from arlington, va, usa

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2008

Strengths:    like sitting on your sofa at home, extremely durable

Weaknesses:    none other than I found out yesterday I have been using the women's model for the past 12 years, unknowingly

Bottom Line:
I dont know why people are hating on this saddle. Surely everyone's bone structures are different. I'm skinny and lightweight, but for me I can honestly say this is the most unbelievable seat ever. I ride pretty hard and for long periods of time. I just last night crashed in a race and bent the this seat so I have to place it, but it game me 12 YEARS of top-notch performance. Never had a single problem with it, and it was comfortable as hell, even without good bike shorts.

Favorite Trail:   schaeffer farms

Bike Setup:   1996 litespeed obed xt/xtr

Submitted by Ron Shufflebarger a Cross Country Rider from Winfield, Ks. USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Strengths:    I'm speaking of the O2 men's model. It fits like a glove and I use it basically for road. I have race model on my hardtail, it fits well also

Weaknesses:    Attention, attention!!! The cro-mo railed saddle with Buffalo hide (not leather and they are not offering that in cro-mo) is no good. The manmade fibric will wear off in 3 weeks and look like a mangy coyote going to a glue factory. For mtn. biking I find the nose a little thin and it doesn't support very well when climbing steep..

Bottom Line:
Love the leather saddle in racing or the men's model. They stand up well though the decal seem to wear a little early. The imitation Buffalo hide is a piece of something, avoid, because it will not stand up. They used to make the cromoly railed version in the same leather as the Ti version for $30 less. Now they give no value for the durability of saddle's covering in the cro-mo version at all. I also still find this a little thin and pointy on pure mtn. biking but wherever you sit and spin it's great....

Favorite Trail:   Any that I can get into a spin on!!

Purchased At:   Lawrence, Ks.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Selle Flite, some non-descripts

Bike Setup:   Road w/ men's model 6 1/4" wide, Hartail w/racing model 5 3/4 " wide

Submitted by micki a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    Light, appears well made, scuff guards

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
I'm reviewing the O2 Air 40 Women's model w/Titanium rails. The saddle is light and seems well made. However, it just wasn't comfortable for me. It took longer than 30 days to decide this, so no refund for me. The main problem I had was that I kept sliding forward on the saddle, even when I adjusted it with the nose slightly up - this was uncomfortable. It was also a little too wide in the rear and the mid section (I'm 5'4 and 115lbs) Although the rails are titanium, the saddle doesn't seem to have much flex (?)I switched to the Vitesse and put the Avocet on my mountain bike and will see if it's more tolerable there and re-review it after a while.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager 2000, Selle Italia Trimatic, Terry Gella Bella, Fizik Vitesse

Bike Setup:   Univega Modo Vincere

Submitted by Lelen Bates a Cross Country Rider from Salinas, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    Comfort, weight

Weaknesses:    Nose wear

Bottom Line:
I have been riding the 40R with Ti rails for 7+ years. It came stock on my Klein in Nov. '93 and it is now on my Santa Cruz. This is the most comfortable seat I can find. I can ride 25 miles of rough trail and never think about the seat. A good seat is one you never think of. I am buying a new seat 40R to put on the Santa Cruz and return the old one to the Klein. The only problem I have had is the fraying of the shell on the nose of the seat. Buy it and forget about it. There is no price too high for a great seat such as this.

Favorite Trail:   Shane's World

Purchased At:   South Valley (long since gone)

Similar Products Used:   Sella Royal Shark (pain, pain, pain), Specialized Body Geometry, Salsa Tres Zones.

Bike Setup:   2001 Santa Cruz Superlight, Sid 100, Float RC, Monkey Lite, Thompson stem & seat post....

Submitted by Jasper from Ithaca NY USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Fake leather cover

Bottom Line:
DON'T BUY THE CHROMOLLY VERSION OF THIS SADDLE! It has some kind of fake leather. Mine was showing damage within weeks, and is mostly bare now - just a sort of mesh showing. It isn't even slightly water-repellent - it soaks rain up like a sponge. I'm at work at this very moment with a big wet patch on my ass, with water running down my leg - a full week after my saddle got rained on. I'll have to put a plastic bag over it for my ride home. By comparison, I've had the titanium-railed version with a real leather cover on my road bike for three years, and I would recommend it highly.

Similar Products Used:   titanium rail version from some years ago, many other saddles.

Bike Setup:   Commuter bike

Submitted by Skid Marks a Cross Country Rider from Goleta, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Strengths:    very comfortable, light, perfect amount of padding, firm support for long rides

Weaknesses:    can't judge for another 12 months

Bottom Line:
Awsome! I have never ridden on a more comfortable seat. Normally, I would spend several hours grinding up the local trails so that I could enjoy the awsome decents. Every seat that I have tried has always hurted with varying degree after these long rides. I was fortunate enough to have a local pro bike builder recommend this seat when I recently bought my TCR for century rides. I've just completed a 125 mile (double metric century) and had no saddle sore at the end of the 7.5 hour (riding time) grind in the saddle! I was totally surprised that my rear remained comfortable while my legs, arms, shoulders, and feet were shouting all the usual signals that I was pushing my body hard. This seat made my first century ride a pretty nice experience.

Since I was fitted on my road bike properly, I was always seated on the saddle properly - my load bearing hip bones were always over the rear area of the seat. Near the end of the century ride, I was pretty tired and I slouched slightly forward from my normal sitting position (maybe just an inch or two). I immediately got an aching rear. The solution was simple, move your behind further back on the saddle and I was comfy again. Also, I droped the nose of my seat which helped a ton for those long grind up the local mountains. I am only 5'7" and weigh 150lbs, so the narrower "race" geom version fit me well. Avocet makes two wider O2 Air 40 styles for those people who are not built like me. They are "men" geom and a "women" geom specific styles. I'm amazed how much better the Avocet O2 40 performed than the other saddles. The Specialized Goemetry Comp (too expensive, and poor performance) and Selle Italia Flight can't even come close to the Avocet O2 Air for rides longer than 2 hours.

Similar Products Used:   Specialize Geometry Comp, Selle Italia Flight

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR road bike, Avocet O2 Air 40 (hollow cromoly rails, racing geom), Campagolo Chorus comps, Thompson Elite seatpost, Mavic Open-Pro rims w/ Campagnolo Records hubs (28, DB 14/15)

Submitted by doug a Weekend Warrior from california

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Strengths:    Comfort and durability. I have ridden ont the same avocet m20 gel saddle for over a decade. Comfort is the key. The saddle has not broken down It still has the give of gel but is still firm enough to support. I have always used a lycra saddle cover, so the seat itself is tear free and the fabric of the seat is not worn through. Each rider has her or his own preference as to a saddle this one works for me. I regualaly ride thirty to seventy-five miles and it is comfortable. I have ridden on this saddle for nine days straight down the washington and oregon coast and my butt held out. It got sore about day eight. All in all an excellent saddle.

Weaknesses:    weight. I don't even want to know how much this thing weighs. but the saddle is the most important comfort feature on a bike and the sacrifice of wieght for comfort is the best trade you will ever make. I light saddle that is uncomfortable is worthless.

Bottom Line:
Comfortable and durable. That is what you want in a saddle that you are going to be riding on for thousands of miles.

Favorite Trail:   back roads of the sierra foothills

Similar Products Used:   None for over a decade.

Bike Setup:   Old bike cannondale r200 with a mix of parts. New bike is mongoose rx10.9 titnium frame with ultegra triple, profile brc fork with ritchey pro stem and ritchey headset, spox wheels with continental GP3000 foldable tires.

Submitted by Jeff a Racer from Albuquerque

Date Reviewed: December 16, 1999

Strengths:
light weight
COMFORTABLE

Weaknesses:
overall quality is a bit suspect

Bottom Line:
This is the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden on the road, the decals wore off almost immediately and the leather is getting worn for only 2 years of use but the comfort makes up for it. I'm thinking of putting one on my mountain bike but I'm afraid the saddle is too frail for hard use.... we'll see.

2 Years

Cinelli Unicantor
Selle san Marco
Specialized

Trek carbon 2200 road bike
Campagnola Veloce gruppo

Submitted by Shirley a Weekend Warrior from Rockingport, MA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1999

Strengths:
Good Padding
Nice bun area (women's)
Light weight
Price

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Nice! After some research on women's saddle I opted for the Avocet O2 40. It's a sturdy saddle that does not irritate your crotch, and feels comfortable. Plus it has a money back guarantee.

less than 1 month

GEL Lite

KLEIN/Judy

Submitted by Mark a Racer from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
Forgot to mention in my review that I have the O2 40R Ti '99.

6 months

Submitted by Mark a Racer from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Strengths:
light, comfy

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
I love this saddle. I ride a lot of off
road miles and with this saddle I have no
saddle associated pain. Every other
saddle I've used over the years
has caused more discomfort.
I've ridden this saddle up to 10 hours in a
day and it was as good as you could expect.
I'm about 140 pounds and don't crash very
often. In over 1000 miles this season no
problems. 5 fat ones from where it counts!

All of them

others

hardtail

Submitted by Justin a Racer from Nelson BC Canada

Date Reviewed: July 17, 1999

Strengths:
was very comfy
held up for a bit
kevlar and titanium

Weaknesses:
not durable at all

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review, i owned this saddle for a little bit longer than a year and no its a piece of garbage. I flew off a jump and landed on the saddle pop off goes the sadlle with out the rails and i had to glue the kevlar to stay on the saddle after i ripped holes on every patch but it was comy after i broke it in after 3 months, i dont recommend this saddle or anything avocet for that matter, 2 stars.

Cross-Cut

1 Year

lots

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Burlington On.

Date Reviewed: June 6, 1999

Strengths:
I'm talking about the avocet cross country, It's lite, comfortable, and the goofy extension on the tail of the saddle really works.

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
Saddles are so subjective but I'm a clydesdale and this is the most comfort I've found in a saddle. It feels much like the o2 but the nose has less of a tendency to want to tear you a 2nd a**hole. Five full flamers cause I've been on enough bad saddles to recognize a good one.

Dundas Conservation Area

3 months

avocet o2{stolen otherwise I'd still be using it), turbomatic,body geometry, trico kevlar,specialized prolong, etc.

rocky stratos,Z2, USE post,raceface cranks,

Submitted by Jade a Cross-Country Rider from Logan, UT

Date Reviewed: June 2, 1999

Strengths:
Light (220 grams), Titanium rails, part of frame is Carbon Fiber, Color may appeal to some but did not match the red I needed, 30 day guarantee

Weaknesses:
Uncomfortable!!!

Bottom Line:
When I first saw the saddle I was really excited. Once the saddle was secured onto my Thompson seatpost, the excitement quickly changed to discomfort. The guys at the shop said that it was well padded and very comfortable. I don't know about the padded part, cause it was so uncomfortable to sit on such a narrow seat. I couldn't imagine bombing down some crazy mountain on such an uncomfortable seat. I had the saddle and tested it for about 3 days, after that, my butt was begging for the heavier, but wider WTB. I took the saddle off and took it back. One good thing about the Avocet seat was the money back guarantee. It stated that if the saddle was not more comfortable than the one being replaced, to take it back to the dealer within 30 days for a full refund. Only 2 Chillies for comfort, but a solid 5 for the gaurantee.

Left Hand Fork

less than 1 month

WTB SST.K, WTB SST.98

Klein Mantra, Manitou X-Vert fork, XTR drivetrain, Mavic Rims, Chris King fubs

Roadie package: saddle, bars, stem - On One

Some good deals here. I havent gotten one, but thought someone might could use it. Carbon and Alloy stuff. The link is for one of the deals, go to "bundles" to see the others. [url=http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/GREMAFX4CC/eddy_merckx_afx4_carbon_finishing_kit]Eddy Merckx AFX4 Carbon Finishing K ... Read More »

Time for a new saddle.

I just have the stock saddle on my '13 Fuel EX8 and it is giving me too much pain even with padded shorts. What is the proper way to measure my seat bones to match a good saddle? Also what brands are the go-to brands for quality and comfort? Thanks.Read More »

Most comfortable saddle for commuting?

I can't seem to find a comfortable commuting saddle. I've tried many, the most recent being a Brooks saddle. They said it would get broken in and the leather would conform to your body, but, after 500 miles, the Brooks saddle still hurts. Any suggestions....I love to ride but tired of the pain/nu ... Read More »

why does my carbon saddle have a bit of play?

why does my carbon saddle have a bit of play? I haved carefully tighten it.Read More »

Best Saddle for the Front Range?

just kidding. But seriously, my ass hurts. Whenever I spend a long time in the saddle on some long uphill grind, my taint hurts. I know that saddles are a personal thing, but there is some science to it, right? Like how the saddle lines up with your sit bones or something? Are there shops tha ... Read More »