Avocet O2 Air 40 Kevlar Saddle

• Various colors

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Stow, MA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Strengths:    If it fits you, you'll never buy another brand

Weaknesses:    Yellow cover looked great for first few months, but gets dirty.

Bottom Line:
    Choosing a saddle is a very personal choice, like choosing a spouse. I have 2 Avocet O2R's, a WTB, and a Specialized, and want to buy a 3rd Avocet. (too many bikes in the basement...) Other saddles are too squishy for me, and the Specialized is like sitting on the edge of a desk - sharp cutoff!

I am a 170# male roadie, and ride long distances on my Avocet. If the nose of the saddle is too high, I go numb, so I tip it just a little below level. If I ride my rollers for an hour, I'll still go numb, but out on the road where I am shifting around and standing occasionally, numbness is rarely a problem.

Avoid the yellow saddle as it looks bad when worn.

Favorite Trail:   Wachusetts Reservior

Purchased At:   Palo Alto Cycles

Bike Setup:   Road bike

Submitted by Warwick Jolly a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Strengths:    Good texture. Looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Isn't. Uncomfortable edges. Rails have bent. Just hurts.

Bottom Line:
    Comfortable for 5 minutes. Novelty wears off after that. AS I said, rails bent. Just a lousy shape.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield

Purchased At:   Bicycle Recycle

Similar Products Used:   Selle San Marco Era. Selle Italia cheapie. Much better saddles.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F

Submitted by Tommy Carter a Cross Country Rider from Olympic Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    Light Weight
    Comfort
    Smooth leather cover
    Lasts over 10 years

Weaknesses:    Break in period is 2 months

Bottom Line:
    You have to break in this saddle. Avocet has a 30-day trial period ( I think in recognition of this). For a road bike, and daily rides, 30 days might be soon enough. I took me 2 months of wondering and worrying why my new Avocet O2 saddle on an ATB was not as comfortable as my two 11 year old Avocet O2 saddles. In 11 years on an MTB, the old saddle took some hits and the leather was looking pretty shabby. The new saddle did seem stiff. I moved the new saddle to my road bike and my 11-year old road Avocet to the MTB. The 11 year old saddle is pure comfort. After a month on the roadie, the new Avocet is broken in and as comfortable as the 11 year old.

Only part of the decals wears off. I scraped the blue lettered "Avocet" off the side 10 years ago. The red O2 and the yellow "Air 40R" decals have remained for 11 years. All the decals on the back are there.

You can't beat the smoothness of an all leather saddle with no stitching,
    the cushion after it is broken in
    the low weight (actual 209 gm for my new Avocet saddle)

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim / Western State

Purchased At:   CBO.com

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager WS 10
    Bontrager WS 1000 (?)
    Selle Italia Flite

Bike Setup:   94 Gary Fisher Supercaliber updated to 2002 9 speed XTR rapidrise, V's, Bontarger Valiant OSB, Panaracer Fire XC

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Plano, TX

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2002

Strengths:    Allows good circulation in the nether-regions...

Weaknesses:    Hard

Bottom Line:
    This saddle has a good reputation, but I found it pretty dang hard. It does help circulation though and is better than seats that have no anatomic shape to them. That's about it. Get a different seat. I'm going to try a Terry Dragonfly.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey something or other...

Bike Setup:   Marin Mount Vision

Submitted by Pat a Racer from Plano, TX

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    None!

Weaknesses:    Cost, cheap decals, thin leather, poor glue, frayed kevlar, rails pop out of plastic insert

Bottom Line:
    I posted almost 2 years ago on this saddle. I didn't like it then when the saddle came apart on one of my first rides with it. After receiving a new saddle from Avocet and riding it for over a year, my opinion is unchanged. This saddle is DEFINITELY NOT worth the price or anywhere NEAR what the cost is. I don't mind purchasing expensive, high performance items for my bike. I race and ride a lot. Sometimes the weatherr is great, sometimes it ain't so great (wet, cold, etc). I wrap my seat & post in plastic bags if I'm driving somewhere to ride and it's raining. I periodically clean the saddle with saddlesoap and polish it with shoe wax to keep the leather clean and looking nice. In spite of my efforts, this saddle came apart all over the place. Kevlar rails frayed, the leather on the sides got super thin and then finally broke through, exposing the foam underneath. I bought a spandex cover to 'milk' the saddle through for a few more months. The saddle is little more than Ti rails, plastic base and a little foam on the top. For less money I can get a Selle Italia and ride for years on it. I've got twin boys who are into mountain biking now, and I'm sad to say: Avocet, you've lost my business for good.

Bike Setup:   DeKerf Team ST

Submitted by Vincent Purdie a Weekend Warrior from Washington, DC USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Nice yellow/blue color, lightweight, flexible ti-rails,
    thick/thin where it needs to be.

Weaknesses:    Watercolor-inspired graphics: rub off with water/friction after one ride! (okay so sue me..i'm into a logo freak! For this much green, they should be sewn on!!)

Bottom Line:
    This is a great seat for someone wanting an upgrade they can feel immediately! I ran the Yellow/black version for a few years and it was great. The good vibrations (or lack of them!) continue with my latest Avocet O2 Air 40 race. It does a good job of taking the sting out of my cross country/trailriding..enough padding to make me feel good, but still stiff and race-inspired to make me feel like more than a weekend warrior. The titanium rails are flexible enough that I can ride right over smaller hits without the "butt-cheek scrunch" reflex that a hardtail can give ya. Maybe a little to stiff or hard for some riders; my Air 40R has slightly squared-off edges across the top. It can get to be a little invasive on long trail pilgrimages...but then again to be fair it IS advertised as a racing saddle.

Detract 1 Flamin' one for the ink-stamp graphics.

Favorite Trail:   C&O

Purchased At:   Bicycle Pro Shop

Similar Products Used:   Avocet Air, Cannondale Team seat

Bike Setup:   Cannondale M400 with Amp B-4 carbon fork, Profile handlebar,Tompson stem/seatpost, Areospoke rims w/ Hutchinson 'Gator Golds, XT all around...tha' pimpmobile!!

Submitted by aimee a Cross Country Rider from lynnwood, washington

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Strengths:    lightweight, looks groovy

Weaknesses:    none so far...

Bottom Line:
    Three words for you... love this saddle. (Honestly I picked it because it was the first on the list at Speedgoat.)

Price-wise I was suprised when I saw what the O2 cost, but it was well worth the green.

No numbness, no pain. It's comfy all throughout the ride and I don't get laughed at because I have a seat with a hole in it (as my liberator had).

Every time I go riding I thank my lucky stars that Speedgoat lists its products alphabetically. I can ride all day (even without super-plush bike shorts) and still walk to the mexican restaurant. And that's a very good thing.

Favorite Trail:   porcipine rim - moab

Purchased At:   speedgoat.com

Similar Products Used:   evil saddle from my stumpjumper and a terry liberator

Bike Setup:   santa cruz superlight

Submitted by Wayne a Weekend Warrior from Sagamihara, Japan

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2000

Strengths:    Avocet gives you 30 days to ride and decide. I can send it back and get a refund!

Weaknesses:    The graphics are cheap stickers that are already falling off when the saddle is new. The saddle made me so numb after only 30 minutes into the first ride that it had to come off the bike.

Bottom Line:
    This thing is HORRID! The first 30 minute ride I ended up standing half off the time just to get some blood flow back into the nether regions. I thought maybe I had it tilted too far forward, backward, something. I have slid it forward, backward and tilted it every which way.... it just never gets right. I guess it may just be the shape of my backside, but I can't imagine anyone actually fiting one of these. If you think you might want one, ride one FIRST!
    Two chilis because Avocet will buy it back!
    Maybe Selle Italia next......

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   SDG, Serfas, Selle San Marcos, WTB, etc........

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler..... if you care, email me and I'll send ya a digipic.

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Taos Ski Valley, NM

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    Relatively well made. Pretty comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Weight. Numbness problems.

Bottom Line:
    While this seat basically rides pretty comfortably, when sitting in the saddle for long uphill stretches, I would eventually wind up with seriously numb gonads. Either the weight advertised on this saddle is baloney, or the others I've picked up are well under their advertised weights. Holding this saddle in one hand and a Selle Italia Flite Trans Am in the other, the difference is obvious. The Selle is way lighter though its advertised catalog weight indicates it is supposed to be 35g heavier. Go figure!?! I'm 6'0" and only 130 lbs--a skinny butt for sure. But I'd love to find a saddle that doesn't make me numb.

Favorite Trail:   the road up to ski area

Similar Products Used:   older avocets, Selle Italia Flite Trans Am

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Classic 2000. All Campy. Campy Nucleon wheels. Thompson Elite post, etc.

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Strengths:    Light
    Durable
    Nice looking

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable on epic rides
    Catches my short

Bottom Line:
    I have had this seat on my bike for almost two years. I find it uncomfortable some of the time and acceptable some of the time. Why do I keep it on? I am too cheap to buy a new saddle. Stupid? Probably!

It fits some guys (and gals) very well, but I am not that tail. It is a decent saddle but it does not work well for me. Just too tiny and hard. That air on the butt thing is kinda a marketing ploy in my mind. Kind of expensive retail but you can find it on sale quite often (www.chucksbikes.com has it for $35). A lot of people love it, but I am not that wild about it.

Similar Products Used:   All kinds of seats

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar

Submitted by rib-eye a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Strengths:    weight, appearance

Weaknesses:    Stick on decals started to come off within a couple of weeks. Would expect more durability from a $95 seat.

Bottom Line:
    Tried this saddle primarily because of the manufacturer's 30 day fit guarantee. Rode it approx. 20 times during the month hoping would break it and be more comfortable. Never reached an acceptable level of comfort. By the time I returned it, most of the side decals had come off making it look like it had much more use that it actually had.

Similar Products Used:   way too many

Bike Setup:   Moots Mootaineer

Submitted by Flightless Bird Penguin a Cross Country Rider from TN

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, saddle shape.

Weaknesses:    Poorer overall construction and quality of materials than comparably-priced saddles.

Bottom Line:
    Snapped the titianium railes in two when I landed on the seat after a small jump. I am 150 lbs, and the saddle was only 6 months old. The seat fell off the post entirely. The leather is wears easily when you ride in wet weather. Other saddles it's price and cheaper offer better quality and durable materials. If you pay $80 to $90 on the Ti/Kevlar model, it's too overpriced. I also owned a cromoly model and that got bent after a crash.

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite and Flite Gel.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed with Tompson Elite seatpost.

Submitted by Glenn a Weekend Warrior from Gillette, WY

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2000

Strengths:    Well built, comfortable, light

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
    Quality saddle. Comfortable. Firm but forgiving. Narrow where it needs to be.