Avocet 02 Air 40 Saddle

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 240 grams MSRP : $80.00

• Leather cover & protective bumpers
  • Ti or hollow cromoly ShortRail system for support and strength

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Moody Cat a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    Light and comfortable on short, low output rides.

Weaknesses:    Not flat: One side higher than the other. A titanium rail broke in normal on-road-only use.

Bottom Line:
    A saddle top MUST be horizontal from left to right, for the sit bones. I have two of these titanium railed saddles and neither have tops parallel to their rails. On one of them a saddle rail broke.

Similar Products Used:   Terry Liberator. Specialized Toupe Gel. Specialized Alias. Selle Italia Octavia Genuine Gel. San Marco Rolls.

Bike Setup:   Road bikes.

Submitted by Lelen Bates a Cross Country Rider from Salinas, CA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2003

Strengths:    light, strong, cushy Ti rails, endurance.

Weaknesses:    Very thin leather.

Bottom Line:
    This seat came with my Klein which was purchased in Nov. 1993. This seat has served me well and long. If you do not ride often you may find this RACE seat uncomfortable, as it only has a shallow channel and it is narrow. If you ride often you will forget about the seat due to the comfortable design. The fact that this seat is still being produced say a lot. the only problems I have ever had was that the nose leather wore from use and the nose occasionally caught caught my shorts when I got back over the seat for a descent (might be the fault of the shorts). Buy it, it will serve you well.

Favorite Trail:   Tia Maria

Purchased At:   South Valley Bikes (long gone)

Similar Products Used:   WTB Speed V, SDG Belair, Specialized, Selle Royal gel junk something

Bike Setup:   1st on 1994 Klein Fervor then transfered to a Santa Cruz Superlight when it was retired in 2002.

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable saddle with good looks. Light enough to race with and comfortable for x-country. I was worried about the pounding the saddle must endure from my nasty wipe-outs, but so far it has held up very well.

Weaknesses:    After 1 year of riding 2 -3 times a week on some nasty bits of Canadian bruce trail, I have not found a weakness yet. I broke my last very expensive racing saddle after 2 years. I will keep you posted.

Bottom Line:
    Great comfort for $80 bucks.

Favorite Trail:   Bruce Trail

Similar Products Used:   Many kinds of light stong racing saddles, most with 1/2 the confort as this.

Bike Setup:   Ti Hardtail.

Submitted by Doug from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Strengths:    It fits me well, good looks and good build quality. Decent price.

Weaknesses:    Decals wore off quickly, leather on sides has compression marks.

Bottom Line:
    Saddles are a very personal component, you have to find one that fits your sit bones. To me, the Flite saddles are a torture device because they are just a bit too narrow. This one fits much better, after over 1000 miles and many 2 hour rides I can't complain. The back of the saddle is a bit wider than the Flite. I'm still searching for my ultimate saddle, this one may be it but I will keep trying others to make sure. Wouldn't it be cool if shops would let you rent different saddles to try before you bought?

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite, Flite gel, Terry Liberator, various no-namers.

Bike Setup:   They all have saddles on them.

Submitted by ryan a Racer from Ames, IA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Strengths:    High quality craftmanship, leather cover, durability, ti rails

Weaknesses:    I'm 6'-2" and around 180lbs and find that I have to stand about every 15 min. to get the tingling sensation out of my butt. I don't have the recessed area in mine. Wish I did.

Bottom Line:
    I think this saddle is a great saddle. It's been on my bike for about 4 years now. It breaks in really nice also. I just wish my butt wouldn't go numb after about 15 min. I just stand up but when I'm on the rollers it's more cumbersome. The back of the saddle isn't too wide that it's hard to back off, so you could even use it on your mtn. bike. I will probably try a different saddle inthe future just to see if there is something better.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite Gel, CODA, Vetta TT,

Bike Setup:   Road race bike

Submitted by mike a Racer from anchorage ak usa

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Strengths:    been training inside...1200 miles since oct 01.. have about 400 miles on this saddle...comfort for the first 20min is good...then u have to get up.. but I don't think that is uncommon...

Weaknesses:    wish they would make the groove deeper... the shape is okay.. but want to have more cushion on the sit bones

Bottom Line:
    I like the saddle so far..just about as comfortable as the the prolink but am still going to fuss with the angle used so far on the trainer.. will be different on the road.. I train over 4000 miles a year so this is very important. My Brooks swift has been the best on the road so far..had to beat the thing and soap it to death.. but is to heavy to really race.. one day they will make a comfortable saddle.. I think.

Purchased At:   nasbar

Similar Products Used:   tried brook swift..sella prolink, slr, flite, san marcus, cannondale

Bike Setup:   trek 5600 alein carb seatpost