Home | Reviews | Headset | WTB

WTB Momentum Headset

3.81/5 (70 Reviews)

Caged ball bearings with grease guard™ lube system. O-ring sealed heat treated 6061 aluminum cups. Threadless, 1 1/8" Colors: Black, Silver 150g

Submitted by O. Emry a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2010

Strengths:    Simple, well-engineered, and greaseguard function makes overhauls almost extinct.

Weaknesses:    Uses relatively small 5/32" ball bearings. Did not ship with assembly instructions (but it's not that complicated, guys).

Bottom Line:
I'm a bit surprised at some of the reviews below. If you can't install the headset correctly or you don't have a compatible grease gun, you're not going to be very happy with it.

You *must* install the inner black seals correctly (they really only fit one way) or the grease won't flow through the bearings correctly. You *must* have a grease gun with a flush mount (conical) tip. (Dualco makes some cheap hand-held bulk loading models that work great.)

The orange O-rings aren't for preload; they're seals. Install and adjust the headset normally, pump in grease, *then* slip the O-rings into their seats. When you want to purge the lube, slide the O-rings out, pump in grease, wipe off the excess, and then re-install the O-rings.

Attention weight weenies: I've seen this thing advertised at 250g, and another reviewer below made the same claim. If anyone actually bothered to weigh one, they'd see it's only 152g, which is reasonable for a durable and inexpensive part. Yes, you can spend more money and get a lightweight headset. Don't let me stop you.

The only bad thing I can say is that it uses relatively small 5/32" ball bearings, and larger bearings make stronger headsets, period. If you really abuse your bike, there are probably stronger headsets on the market that are a better fit for you. I'll have a better idea after this one gets some more miles on it.

I give it 4 chilis for the small balls, and will follow up later. It gets 5 over all because it was really affordable.

Favorite Trail:   Everything

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by dubdryver a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2010

Strengths:    Great concept, probably pretty durable.

Weaknesses:    Preload ring far from the greatest made. Tank-heavy, lower cup is hideous to look at.

Bottom Line:
The concept of this headset is great! It has potential, but I just do not think my bike was the right application. The biggest problem I have had is working the preload ring to not be too tight or too loose. I got it close, but it is definitely not smooth.

One large problem with this concept headset is that I have yet to find the right type of grease fitting to properly use the zerk fittings on the headset. The needle type does not work, nor does the standard grease fitting. This wasn't the biggest dilema for me though.

The third drawback..and I don't want to sound like some Weight weenie and cry about this, but the thing is pretty hefty, like 250g! My handlebars and stem practically weigh the same as this! All the little things that are drawbacks to this headset, made me think it was a poor purchasing decision. If you want a good cheap light headset, go with the Race Face Deus ($40 at Pricepoint). I have had one on my Blur Classic for close to 3 years now, and only 2 services, not bad at all. It weighs close to 100g, very easy to set the preload, yah you might service one time a year, but thats not bad for the headset. Otherwise go with Chris King or Hope and forget about it.

Favorite Trail:   So many to choose from....

Purchased At:   Chain Love

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, Race Face Deus XC, Cane Creek

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon, Stan's 355 American Classic hubs,Noir Crank, Rockshox Reba Team, SRAM, easton CNT fixings

Submitted by vertwerks a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2010

Strengths:    Grease port

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
This HS lasted ten years through a couple different frames. I injected grease every couple rides and cleaned regreased it annually. Finally the races grooved but I totally felt I got my money's worth. The orange o-rings would occasionally dislocate but sliding back into the groove took two seconds.

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack

Similar Products Used:   King, Hope, Woodman, Cane Creek, Crank Bros

Bike Setup:   SC SL, Reba, Juicy Carbons, XTR

Submitted by alanchan a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2010

Strengths:    Great

Weaknesses:    Does not look at good as my Chris King

Bottom Line:
Great headset, the build quality is nowhere near my Chris King but for half the price, hey what can I say. I used it for 5 years and it had zero issues.

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, Hope, FSA Orbit (it sucks)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon

Submitted by Drakken_11 a Weekend Warrior from Bristol

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Strengths:    No problems EVER!

Weaknesses:    A little complicated to put back together.

Bottom Line:
This came on a Mongoose that I bought back in 2000. I had never had any problems with it. And I never serviced it. I rode that bike like a rented mule. I eventually broke the Rear Derailer Hanger (nonreplacable), so I stripped the bike for parts. I am going to put this on a Buddy Bike.
I called WTB about why it is nolonger listed on their website. The receptionist told me it had been discontinued. She informed me that if I needed parts they may have some around the shop.
It may have given some people problems but for me it did it's job faithfully. If your not a competitive biker and your not going to take it off any serious Drop-offs this is for you. Try to get it as cheap as possible; after all it is a discontinued item.

Favorite Trail:   Warriors Path

Similar Products Used:   FSA Pig DH Pro

Bike Setup:   Mongoose XR-500

Submitted by wickerman1 a Weekend Warrior from Richmond BC

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2009

Strengths:    Looks great works great no problems in two years of use and abuse.

Weaknesses:    No proper instructions on instalation which this headset does have extra parts others dont have.

Bottom Line:
Wow I am reading some reviews and shocked at what I am reading. Someone mentioned about O rings having a mind of their own. Assemble the headset, torque it to spec, THEN put the o rings in their proper place. Another reviewer claimed constant water and dirt getting inside. I took my fork off today to install another one, and have not greased or touched this headset since I installed it two years ago, and I live in Vancouver where rain and mud is pretty much year round. The grease in the lower race was as clean as the day I installed the headset. I think people aren't installing it properly causing these problems? mine gets 5 chilis across the board.

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   FSA, chris King, Cane Creek

Bike Setup:   01 Kona HT converted SS for freeride

Submitted by mike_d_1583 a Weekend Warrior from cincinnati, ohio

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2009

Strengths:    none that i see

Weaknesses:    Virtually impossible to set up due to the annoying O-rings, they keep sliding out of place.

Bottom Line:
Got duped into buying this crap. Need at least two people to set up. O-rings have minds of their own. The design is flawed. WTB doesn't even list ANY headsets on their website. What does that tell you. STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW, TIRES AND CRAP.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   cheap headsets

Bike Setup:   doesn't matter

Submitted by Andy Dallibar a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Strengths:    It looked fancy

Weaknesses:    It worked baddly

Bottom Line:
It was exspensive so I bought it thinking it would be great. But It was never convincing good. It needed too much attention with fresh grease and eventuallty it cracked and I binned it.

Favorite Trail:   Bracknell

Similar Products Used:   Dia compe, Hope and FSA

Bike Setup:   At the time of this Headset it was a GT Zaskar

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Hull, UK!

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap, looks good

Weaknesses:    poor quality, rattles like a bucket of bolts

Bottom Line:
Alot of these reviews say this headset is fine within the first year, yes, it is fine withing the FIRST year, however it appears to have a self destruct button as it now wobbles after EVERY ride (yes i had it installed properly) which is caused by play from the bottom cup. Very disapointing, wouldnt buy again as i lik my parts to last a bit longer then a year and a half:/

Purchased At:   chainreaction cycles

Similar Products Used:   Diacomp aheadsets (various)

Bike Setup:   2005 mountain cycle slix, fox float rlc/rp23 lx/xt bits with smatterings of thompson shiney parts!

Submitted by ross a Cross Country Rider from Boone, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2005

Strengths:    cheap, smooth i guess

Weaknesses:    nothing to note

Bottom Line:
can't complain about anything. After a year of heavy use it still works like new. I've subjected this thing to some abuse it wasn't designed to handle too. COnsidering its low price, i'd buy another if i have any problems down the road. I can't see why anyone would spend 100$ on a headset when there are headsets like this one out there for a fraction of the price. This thing deserves each and every one of the 5 hot turds i'm awarding.

Similar Products Used:   just cheap stuff

Bike Setup:   hardtail: DH parts

Submitted by Khalil a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Quebec,Canada

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Strengths:    Looks nice, strong, somewhat smooth

Weaknesses:    The bearings could be stronger

Bottom Line:
Very good headset, it lasted very long, the only reason it broke is because I needed one more spacer so the headset could really be tight, so it wasn't 100% tight it moved a bit so when I went off drops it destroyed the bearings. I doubt anything would have broke if I would have maintained it properly. I know 2 people who do have this headset, and WTB could make the bearings stronger.

****The M.S.R.P. is ridiculous.****

Purchased At:   McWhinnies Cycles

Similar Products Used:   FSA Pig DH Pro, Chris King Steelset, FSA Pig

Bike Setup:   too lazy

Submitted by eric p a Weekend Warrior from Hawaii

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    works great when there's no extreme terrain

Weaknesses:    it breaks?

Bottom Line:
living in a very corrosive environment doesn't help- but it still sucks. i had it on my bike for maybe 6 months and it got so bad that i had to replace it. didn't really abuse it all that much, but it should have been a lot better. didn't hold grease, came out of adjustment way to easily, etc. replaced w/ chris king- no probs now

Purchased At:   came on bike

Bike Setup:   01 GT zaskar race- this came stock

Submitted by Preston a Downhiller from Ft. Collins, Co, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2004

Strengths:    It keeps the steerer tube from falling out of the bike, but that is really the star nut and the top cap.

Weaknesses:    It is a pain to work on, it gets dirt and water in it very easily. In mine the steerer tube rattles around even if the top bolt is tightened to the point where it is hard to turn. I have had problems with this headset from the first month I had it.

Bottom Line:
This headset is probably one of the worst products ever made for mountain biking. In fact I don't know that I have ever used anything made by WTB that I didn't have some sort of problem with. Back to the headset, The first time that I took this thing apart I was wondering why it wasn't designed better. Taking it apart sucks, putting it back together sucks, and regreasing the bearing three times a season really really sucks. The headset that I have somehow is out of shape and it ovalized my head tube on my original GT frame. Now the only thing that I will use for a headset is a Chris King, Everything that King makes never gives a problem. The only reason that I still have the WTB headset is so I can throw it into the 70 ton press at school.

Favorite Trail:   A-line