Ritchey WCS Logic Headset

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Looking for a light, smooth, long-lasting headset? Then check out Ritchey?s WCS Logic Headset. With precision-machined aluminum cups and proven seals, the WSC Logic?s an easy choice for your esteemed ride.

Submitted by old school a Cross Country Rider from Round Rock, TX.

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2011

Strengths:    Bearings are smooth as butter.......

Weaknesses:    The aluminum cups are too soft for heavy riders and front suspension.

Bottom Line:
The lower cup rounds out when under too much stress. I'm in the market for a new headset. Maybe the cane creek s8 model will hold up better.

Bike Setup:   XT, SLX mix.

Submitted by adiarifin a Cross Country Rider from Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2009

Strengths:    Light, smooth, affordable price.

Weaknesses:    Nothing I noticed so far.

Bottom Line:
I am only into mountain biking for the last few months, and my previous FSA headset came with my bike. I replaced my headset after reading many online resources, and my decision to take Ritchey WCS was based on reviews, availability in local shop, and a bit of novice feeling (i.e. feel smooth, feel light, etc.).

Took me a few miles to get used to my bike after it was installed. I have never known that bike steering can be that smooth.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop.

Similar Products Used:   FSA

Bike Setup:   Giant Alias, Shimano LX drivetrain, RockShox Dirt 3 fork, Shimano Deore hydro disc brake, Shimano DX pedals, Giant Racing stem & hb

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Naples, Italy

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Strengths:    precision workmanship, smooth range of motion - everything you expect from Ritchey

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I rode a Chris King nothreadset on my last bike and I can't tell the difference between that headset (which I paid over $100 for) and the Ritchey headset that I paid $50 for. Between my wheelset and headset, I've become a huge believer in Ritchey. Their products tend to be a little pricey but there's a lot to be said about craftmanship and not having to worry about when you'll be replacing a specific part. Buy it, install it, forget about it.

Favorite Trail:   messy singletrack

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek C2, Chris King

Bike Setup:   Fork - Rock Shox Judy XC,Rims - Ritchey Girder XC,Hubs - Ritchey Zero,Spokes - Ritchey ultra-lights,Tires - IRC Mythos XC Kevlar,Pedals - Shimano M540,Crank - Truvativ Sylo Team Carbon,Chain - SRAM 951,Rear Cogs - Sram PG-970 11-32,Bottom Bracket - SRAM GXP,Front Derailleur - SRAM X-gen,Rear Derailleur - Sram X-7,Shifters - Sram X-7 twist,Handlebars - RaceFace Deus XC,Stem - Kore Elite,Headset - Ritchey WCS,Brakeset - Avid SD7's,Brakelevers - Avid FR-5 Saddle - Sette AMP,Seat Post -Sette APX alloy,Extras - Sette XE2 Carbon Fiber bar ends, Ritchey grips, XTR cables/casings

Submitted by Amrit a Cross Country Rider from Abergavenny, S. Wales

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2007

Strengths:    Dependable - Have used it for a long time now, since I started racing, winning regional champs, giving up racing, swapping it from bike to bike, and still haven't amazingly needed to even touch it.
Simple - The system works, why change it.
Ritchey - Make awsomly dependable products.

Weaknesses:    No wow factor - like that matters to me anyway (it does a little, but thats in the frame, not the headset.)

Bottom Line:
This item has been sorely overlooked and underrated, an extremely dependable and competent headset.

Favorite Trail:   Afan Argoed

Purchased At:   On original bike

Similar Products Used:   Some FSA one years ago and a Cane Creek something on my hack bike.

Bike Setup:   Many different bikes, one great headset.

Submitted by Buridan a Cross Country Rider from Northampton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2007

Strengths:    As "they" say, a good headset is one that you never think about or notice and the Ritchey WCS Logic fits this maxim to a tee. I've used this headset for the past two years and it has performed flawlessly. Before I bought the WCS, I researched all the high-end headsets looking for a less expensive alternative to Chris King. The only headset that consistently stacked up was the Ritchey WCS. It's as smooth as a wet bar of soap and maintenance free.

Weaknesses:    I forget that it's there and thus give it zero attention. I guess mature headsets are like that - they like to be left alone without all the fuss.

Bottom Line:
If you want an affordable high-end headset, the Ritchey WCS Logic is definitely the way to go. It's design and materials make it one of the best headsets out there. I love the way it looks with its minimalist design, which is "bling, bling" in my book. It doesn't scream out at you - "Look at me, look at me, I'm an overpriced component...!"

In my experience, this headset's reliability and durability are perfect. The Ritchey WCS is an often overlooked gem that surprises those who give it a chance, and because of this, you can often find one at a bargain price. Hurry up and get one before people finally take notice.

Favorite Trail:   Fast and Dry

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper - upgrades on everything (literally) but the frame.

Submitted by Joe Peterson a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, Florida

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2007

Strengths:    Quality,
Durability,
Sealed Bearings,
Lightweight

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This is a good headSet, so good I replaced the old (silver) one with the newer model (black) in 2003. It is the top of the line from Ritchey, good quality at about half price of a ChrisKing. There are no fancy colours or graphics, Ritchey just keeps it simple and makes a top quality headset. Made from 7075 aluminium featuring sealed angular cartdridge bearings. I never had to grease the bearings, the realiability is very good at a very fair price. If you look for a good product at fair price get one it will last years without any problem.