Race Face Real Seal Headset

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Our time proven design uses 7075 aluminum for the cups and top race, each of which are forged, machined and guaranteed for life. For 2002, we've introduced a compression ring top race to ensure a trouble free fit between your fork and frame. This compression ring is critical for aggressive riders who use dual crown forks. Threadless Double sealed cartridge bearings with waterproof grease. Forged and CNC machined aluminum cups. 1-1/8” Colors: PC Red; Anodized Black, Red, Grey, Silver 135g

Submitted by Jack Steele a Cross Country Rider from Hull,Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2005

Strengths:    this product has worked without problems. others reviewing this headset have gotten theirs installed incorrectly, or should try lubing it up again.

Weaknesses:    none. it isn't as fancy as some of the others, but this is the real deal. isn't that you want? something that's real? without frills? no bs ,here, in this product.

Bottom Line:
By the way, all those with loose nuts can have theirs serviced or something like that. and optimally, the real seal is meant to be lubed with the GreaseGuard system that Suntour developed many years ago (and sold the patents, etc.) Funny thing is, bike parts work best when installed at the bike store, from experienced service people, or from experienced high school students working the first job of their lives. The Real Seal is for read.
I've ridden with a set for over 4 years and it rocks. I've had no problems.

Favorite Trail:   multipleO

Purchased At:   local shop, across the river, where it's real

Similar Products Used:   ahead set, chris king, ritchey.

Bike Setup:   full xt with a SID 2003.

Submitted by Pablo a Cross Country Rider from Alpine Meadows, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Strengths:    Race Face name

Weaknesses:    Difficult to dial in. Poor engineering or quality control.

Bottom Line:
I had some difficulty dialing in adjustment originally. I realized after some time its poor interface with the frame and stem caused scoring on my steerer tube causing me to have to rebuild the fork. Inaccurate engineering causes the stem to rotate inside and independent of the top race which causes the premature wear. Expensive Bummer. Especially since I am without my main toy during peak riding season. Am replacing it with Chris King where I should have started in the first place. I'm considering replacing the Team SL that came on my road tandem because I fear similar damage on its carbon steerer tube

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek, Race Face Team SL

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Fuego frameset, Marzocchi Z2 X Fly, XTR groupo, Race Face cranks, BB, stem, and bars

Submitted by Peter Rooter a Weekend Warrior from Kamloops, BC

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    Looks marvelous!

Weaknesses:    Bottom bearing rusts

Bottom Line:
Worked great until the bottom bearing rusted. It's gonna be a b!tch to get out - I better do it after the kids go to bed and close all the windows so the neighbors can't hear. Do yourself a favour and spend the exra few bucks on a Chris King headset...

Favorite Trail:   Sorry, I can't divulge that info

Purchased At:   From a buddy

Similar Products Used:   Cheap ones that didn't rust

Bike Setup:   Kona Lava Dome, Marzocchi Z3 Forks, blah blah blah

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Earth

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2004

Strengths:    Simple installation
smooth operation
tight tolerances

Weaknesses:    Top Cap

Bottom Line:
I purchased the entire set of Park headset tools, so installation was a breeze and took about 10 minutes. The headset runs smooth and tolerances are good. However, RaceFace must've spent 2 cents on the top cap. That thing is a piece of junk. When I first held it, I swore I thought it was plastic. Who knows, maybe it is. In any event, unacceptable. Does it affect performance? No, but there's no excuse for a cheap-ass addition to an otherwise fine headset. What the heck, I only paid $45 at Nashbar.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Syncros
Ritchey

Bike Setup:   The greatest hardtail ever produced, otherwise known as the Yeti A.R.C.

Submitted by Mike from Jersey

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Strengths:    Looks good. Smooth.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Been beating the crap out of this headset for almost a year and it's smooth as new.

Haven't had many problems with headsets over the years. Don't understand why there are so many bad reviews for headsets in general (all brands). King seems to do well in reviews. I'm sure it's a superb product, but if one reads the reviews, one notices this 'I bought a King and I'm going to tell world how smart I am for choosing it' mentality. Good for King.

Spending over thirty dollars for a headset is crazy, so I guess I'm crazy, but this thing DOES look sharp. MUCH nicer looking than a King. Of course, only a bike geek notices headsets (like me).

Hasn't loosened a bit.
Here's the deal - two cups with high quality sealed bearings pressed into the cup riding on well machined races, what's to loosen (knock on wood)? I think maybe some people have improperly installed headsets.

Warranty is excellent. RaceFace, y'know.

I'd buy again.

Purchased At:   Deep Cove

Similar Products Used:   Tange, Cane Creek, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by Len a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Strengths:    Built to last

Bottom Line:
I'm not so sure the guys who gave this product bad reviews are talking about the same product, or maybe they just didn't install it correctly. I bought mine used SEVEN YEARS AGO. It's been on at least 4 of my bikes, and it's seen a lot of hard miles including a few wet winters here in BC as well of it's share of XC races. I replaced one of the bearings after approximately 5 years of hard use, other than that it's performed flawlessly. Everyone I know who has used this product has had similar experiences. An awesome, bomp-proof headset.

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   Brodie Spark HT, but this headset has been on a few of my bikes so far.

Submitted by Stinkywiz a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2003

Strengths:    She's purdy

Weaknesses:    Will not stay tight & plastic rings snap & fall off leaving internals (bearings & races) exposed to elements

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money, get a king. I was stupid enough to think it was my frame when I had the same headset on my old 98 heckler. I thought the headtube was ovalized due to the constant loosening & creaking under hard front braking. It was not. I have a new heckler frame for a year now with the same brand (but new) headset & it has the same problems. It wasn't the fork either as I have used two forks with the same result.

Also, the plastic rings (top & bottom) are flimsy & snap. They will sit in the right place, but don't brush up against anything or crash, or they're gone; leaving large gaps for the elements to eat away at the bearings & races. This has happened on both sets I've owned.

I have had a King set I had installed on my M2 Stumpjumper in 1997 after the stock diacomp unit wore out. That set never needed ANY attention & outlasted that frame to be installed on my (now) year-old M4 Stumpjumper. Not a peep out of it, despite changing forks & plenty of abuse.

I will purchase another King unit for my Heckler as soon as I have the funds, I would have had one to begin with but they had nothing but Rasta colors in stock & I wanted the bike ready ASAP. Thats what I get.

Favorite Trail:   Not givin' it up