Race Face Deus XC Headset Headset

3.27/5 (11 Reviews)

The Deus headset is designed for those who pine for long XC rides. Featuring a lightweight 7075 aluminum construction. High performance stainless angular full ball contact bearings keep steering smooth. O-ringed top race ensures a snug, waterproof fit. 104g

Submitted by heuer27 a Weekend Warrior from scotland

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    looks good ,cartridge bearings

Weaknesses:    poor quality in general

Bottom Line:
Initially I thought I had scored a bargin with this headset, getting it for £20, retail being about £70 in the UK. I fitted it about 6 months ago to a brand new frame and fork and rode this bike once per week until recently I heard some strange noises coming from the headset area.Closer examination revealed that the crown race has stretched and now is loose on the steerer. the headset is scrap after about 40hrs use. So much for the two year warranty, race face dont want to know. I'm really disappointed as I have other RF components on both my bikes and they have been A ok . In contrast my other bike has had a hope headset from new 5 years ago and all I've had to do is regrease it once a year. In the UK these items sell for the same price but I know where my cash is going for the replacement.
I've given it 2 value chillis but overall one . I got it cheap but it only lasted 6 months which is terrible for their top end xc headset.I cannot recommend this headset to anyone which upsets me as I have been a faithful customer of Face face components for years.

Favorite Trail:   glentress

Similar Products Used:   fsa , hope ,aheadset , crane creek,

Bike Setup:   one one summer season, fox vans , avid juicy 5 , atlas am bars and stem . thomson post, hope pro 2 on dt 5.1

Submitted by dubdryver a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive, Fairly Light, durable, good finish, no play

Weaknesses:    I don't know if others rating this headset so badly installed it incorrectly, or over tightened or what..I haven't found a weakness.

Bottom Line:
I have not had a fault with this headset. Actually, I didn't really ever think about it until I was starting to think about my build for a new bike. It has been flawless..I think I may have greased it up after a lot of post rain rides during fl. rainy season, but that isn't worth faulting about..that is more or less routine maintenance. It has held up just fine, no play, no adjustments..fit and and forget.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with a trailhead

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   various cane creek pretty sure they were S1s and S3s, and one AHEADSET back in the day. I only had a problem with S1s and AHEAD.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur Fox RLC hope/819s X9/991s thompson, easton monkeylite, maxxis crossmark/ignitor

Submitted by Chris Van Pelt a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Strengths:    Light Weight

Weaknesses:    Bearings and Casing were shot with only just over a years use.

Bottom Line:
Never seemed to fit well right off the bat. Developed creaks after only a month or so. Had to replace it after just over a years time.

Favorite Trail:   Hydro Cut Waterloo

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by Peter Gozinya a Weekend Warrior from Pine City

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2006

Strengths:    A lot of cheap Taiwanese labor goes into it.

Weaknesses:    MADE IN TAIWAN

Bottom Line:
Headset worked well for about 3 months then my steering went loose. The bearings were fried. Went back to an AMERICAN made Chris King and don't even think about it anymore.

I'm done with race face, all of their stuff is made in Taiwan. I have had and XY seatpost fail, race face cranks fail, and now this crappy headset. Cane creek s-2 lasted me 4 years.

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   Not similar cause they are great products but a King and CC s-2

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel, full xtr

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks good.

Weaknesses:    Poor durability.

Bottom Line:
I used this headset for 3 months on an XC bike and other 9 months on a cyclocross bike. After a year, the bearings were completely contaminated (falling apart in my hands). In contrast, I have a Chris King headset that has lasted over 6 years so far.

Bottom line is: Do not buy this headset. Either spend more to get a King, or spend less to get an inexpensive FSA or Cane Creek.

Submitted by Evan Price a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town,WC, South Africa

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2006

Strengths:    Looks pretty bling

Weaknesses:    durability...see bottom line

Bottom Line:
For a top of the line raceface headset this one was finished within a year, granted its ridden pretty hard but not in a lot of muddy stuff at all. bearings were pretty rough after six months and now after a year a lot of the stainless ball bearings were sheared in half and the headset was a throwaway...time to invest in a King...

Favorite Trail:   Harkerville

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek S2

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur,Fox Float 100X, SRAM X-9, Formula B4 Pro+,Raceface Deus Finishing kit, American Classic Hubs & Mavic XC717 Disc Wheelset

Submitted by mark a Cross Country Rider from albq

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2006

Strengths:    price, looks, quality

Weaknesses:    none I can tell

Bottom Line:
Just from the looks of this headset I could tell it was high quality.After 2 years service no problems. Just as good as a king.

Similar Products Used:   king-shimano-dia compe-wtb ect.

Bike Setup:   100 mm fork

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Rolla, Mo USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2005

Strengths:    Solid well build, pretty good looking

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Unless you are only looking for colors this is every bit as good of a headset as king. Save yourself some money and get one on your next bike.

Favorite Trail:   council bluffs