Home | Reviews | Headset | FSA

• Stainless Steel crown race

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jayem a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, angular contact bearings, reliable.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    Bought the 1.5 devolution version for my Turner a few years back. Never any trouble from it. More expensive than $50 bucks, but still a great value.

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek, Chris King, Dia Comp, generics.

Bike Setup:   Turner Highline.

Submitted by LightningSlow a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2009

Strengths:    Sealed bearings. Smooth as butter. Bike feels like it knows where it's going on its own. No creaks, if you have a creeky front end...check headset. Mine had all kinds of junk come out, like a pinata. Came as a bundle from Blue Sky with my new fork.

Weaknesses:    None to date.

Bottom Line:
    Great Headset. If getting in a bundle, adds a great deal of value to the other product. Makes ZERO noise. Sealed goodness. Did I mention I got this thing for free?

Favorite Trail:   96th Street

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Stock KHS jive.

Bike Setup:   Khs Alite 150 , Tora 302, Alivio (for their strength), Hussefelt DH stuff (cause im huge.

Submitted by Juanmoretime a Cross Country Rider from Urbana, Illinois USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Strengths:    Cheaper than Chris King.

Weaknesses:    Crappier than Chris King. Bottom bearing totally seized after a year of use. I spend most of my time on my road and tt bikes. Probably had less than 1,000 miles on it.

Bottom Line:
    Started feeling kind of knotchy a week or two ago. I ordered a replacement headset since I knew the bearings were going out. In my 38 years of cycling I have never seen a bearing completely seized. Considering this is supposed to be one of there top of the line headsets I'm pretty disappointed. Never had a King go bad.

Favorite Trail:   Any with dirt.

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, Acros and Cane Creek.

Bike Setup:   Misfit single speed 29er.

Submitted by brklynfbm a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, New York

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    All the components in this headset have surpassed all my expectations. I'm most impressed by the strong headset cups and O ring seals.

Weaknesses:    Only aesthetics

Bottom Line:
    I bought this FSA headset five years ago after my friend suggested it. I've installed it on three different frames with a mallet, a rolled up magazine and an allen key. It works perfectly every time and never needs any adjustment. I didn't like the bold logo, so I sanded back the cups and polished them to a bright silver finish. I like this headset over the Chris King because the cups are stronger and the O-rings aren't as flimsy. If you want a colored headset and don't intend of switching it from frame to frame a Chris King is perfect too.

Favorite Trail:   The Streets of NYC

Similar Products Used:   Chris King

Bike Setup:   Phil Wood/ Sycip frame, rigid fork and 9-speed internal Shimano Alfine hub

Submitted by Georg a Cross Country Rider from Tigard, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2007

Strengths:    Quality build - stainless bearings/crown races, sealed cartridge bearings, carbon fiber top cap, 10 year warranty

Bottom Line:
    Very high quality sealed bearing design without the sticker shock of the Cris King unit. SS crown race/bearings, o-ring sealing and cartridge bearings for $80.00.

Note: If you hear creaking sounds when you ride and think it is the fork or seatpost clamp think again - if you have a headset with a split crown race (easy to install as no tools needed) that could be the culprit! This crown race is solid (press fit) and solved the problem for me.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, Aheadset OEM on Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Enduro 130, 2007 Fox Float RL 130 fork, XT disk brakes, 6 inch/7 inch rotors, Mavic 819 Disk with Conti UST tires, FSA seatpost, Thompson stem, all XT.

Submitted by Anthony from Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to install, smooth as butter, well made

Weaknesses:    Expensive, but still half the price of a Chris King

Bottom Line:
    My first time installing my own headset, no problems. Smooth and easy to adjust. I'm a 6'6" clyde riding rigid, so you know this thing is getting a pounding. Buy this if you want a Chris King but don't want to shell out the huge bucks. I'm glad I did.

Similar Products Used:   Aheadset, cheap threaded headsets

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey, rigid fork, 9 gears, v-brakes, Surly torsion bars.

Submitted by Borislav Dopudja a Cross Country Rider from Dugo Selo, Croatia

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    Extreme pro is briliant headset. Smooth and strong like a rock. Water sealings are the besto ones I have seen on the market. Product is completely set and forget. I drive around in WERRY WET conditions, and while hubs chain pedals were failing me, headset did not. Now finally I have waterproof bike.

Weaknesses:    In werry wet conditions sealed cartridges have to be oppened and lubed once in half year. I suggest some waterproof grease for external marine usage.

Bottom Line:
    This headset is expensive, but it is completely worth the price. I drive like a maniac, some bike parts was failing me like they were made of butter, but this holds! :D

** if someone is buying headset because of wet weather, I suggest to loog around for stainless sealed bearings, and Shimano DX 30 pedals - real sweet.

Purchased At:   Alan Buhin

Similar Products Used:   Few other headsets. Nothing special, they all died fast.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale caad3 frame *WITH ADAPTER* for normal headset and fork mounting. Marz. Z1 FR. Hayes 8" and 6" hydr. Mavic ex321, alpine 3, X.9 full, and some other verry nice stuff.

Submitted by Col a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Strengths:    Long, trouble free, service free life. 10 yr warranty against bearing failure. Value for money.

Weaknesses:    None. But a split crown race would have been nice.

Bottom Line:
    Value for money.
    More than adequate for all regular XC & F/Riding.
    Fit & forget. Requires little/no servicing. Only looked at it twice in as many years (once at each fork service) now into 3rd year.
    Performance & warranty of a Chris King for half the price.

Buy one of these if you want value for money, otherwise save up and get a King!

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles

Similar Products Used:   Usual array of cheap & mid priced items.
    Note: I initially ordered the non PRO (cheaper) version.
    I liked the split crown race, but the lower dust guard was made of a brittle plastic, & was broken out of the packet. Sent it back & got the PRO instead. Worth the extra.
    Looked at:
    Hope XC, but only 1yr warranty.
    Chris King.......Its undeniably the best & if I had the money I'd get one too!

Bike Setup:   Orange Sub 5. Fox Vanilla R125 front, SID rear. Deore & XT. Hope M4 mono's.

Submitted by Uncle Liu Bill a Weekend Warrior from Hongkong

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth, strong, no maintenance and easy to instal.

Weaknesses:    Not likely to have any.

Bottom Line:
    FSA's product is always trustable and reliable. This headset is easy to instal and needs no maintenance. It is
    working as smooth as silk. You just put it on and forget about it. If you don't have the money to buy a "KING", this should be the 1st choise. To my own opinion, you really don't need to buy a "KING".

Favorite Trail:   KamMaLuen Trail

Purchased At:   Golden Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   Richey WCS (Poor product) not worth mentioning.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 and all the goodies.

Submitted by reed nunnally a Cross Country Rider from kentucky

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    smooth and strong

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    you dont hear much about this brand cus they dont advertise much but damn if they dont make a good product, smooth and just plain works like a headset is suposed to do. It came on my bike so i dont know a price but if i ever get a new bike i will splerge and buy another.

Favorite Trail:   briarhill