Home | Reviews | Headset | FSA

FSA Orbit MX Headset

3.5/5 (6 Reviews)

FSA Orbit MX 1 1/8 Threadless Headset. FSA's quintessential threadless headset retains it's title of undisputed champ in the world of headset quality. Using 36 degree ACB instead of machine-shop style non-angular bearings allows the Orbit to take the hits

Submitted by jonshonda a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2012

Strengths:    Its color

Weaknesses:    Finish quality is very poor, leaving me to wonder about the overall quality of the product.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this headset because of its' color....that is the only reason. I have a bike frame that is black and white, and wanted to continue the theme with the headset. FSA was really the only white one out there (I really wish CK had white) so I bought it for $52.00.

After the lbs installed it, I took it home and after closer inspection was shocked to find that it looked as if someone had dropped the headset into a wet sandbox, and then proceeded to paint over the sand. There is honestly 20-35 pieces of dirt that have been painted over on the headset. Which leaves me really second guessing my purchase, and the quality of the headset.

I should have listened to everyone else, not cared about the color, and either bought a cane creek or chris king.

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by robertncasper a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    Light, cheap, stays smooth.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found. I have it on my customized commuter bike, though -- can't say how well it would work in more extreme conditions.

Bottom Line:
Worth considering if you don't want to pay boku bucks for a King headset.

Favorite Trail:   East River Park

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Bike Setup:   Tricked out city-ride Stumpjumper.

Submitted by Justin Sheldon a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    Nice smooth bearings,sealed and long lasting

Weaknesses:    I only wanted black,so don't need fancy colours

Bottom Line:
Have abused this headset through a couple of crappy UK winters and seasons between and the headset is as good as new.Hosed down and then muddied with no fuss.I have installed over 6 of these on mates bikes as for the price,you can't go wrong.If you can't afford King and Hope,then this is cheap and good .

Favorite Trail:   Spanish Sierras

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Hope and King

Bike Setup:   Fitted on my muddy winter singlespeed

Submitted by Frank Howard a Racer from Illinois

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2003

Strengths:    Bearings are smooth and sealed. Good protection from dirt and muck. Extremely well made for the price

Weaknesses:    No fancy colors.

Bottom Line:
Bearings are still as smooth as when they were new. Have a season of racing on them in all sorts of weather and terrain. Better made than the XL-II which are also excellent headsets. Seems to copy the King a bit in its design.
The split crown race is a great idea as it makes for easy installation and also lets you swap forks easily. I've never has a problem with the FSA split races after 3 seasons.
Recommended!

Similar Products Used:   I have one King, two FSA XL-II, one Cane Creek C-2, one DiaCompe Aheadset

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Strengths:    Looks nice

Weaknesses:    After one Kona 100 and a trip round Glentress black run, the bearings are scrap

Bottom Line:
More rubbish that promises a lot ane fails to deliver. It maybe okay in the States, but British mud destroys stuff like this that's not up to it.
I was told to buy Chris King but baulked at the price. I'll have spent almost as much soon.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   Wiggle

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Marin Rift Zone

Submitted by Frank a Racer from Lake Tahoe-----Byatch

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Strengths:    Nice N' Light Looks, kinda cool and wuz cheep for cartridge bearings.

Weaknesses:    the crown race is kinda weird, light weight alloy with a split for "ease of installation"

Bottom Line:
Super light weight seems to be made rather well, smooth bearings, + it's sealed at both ends. I think it works rather well, especially if you wanted a cheep cart headset for a light weight ride. You probably shouldn't put it on your DH ride or jumping bike, nice for SS though.

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com