Extralite FreeHead 2 Headset

• Slimmer, lighter and trickier
  • Better labyrinth configuration

Submitted by Andrew a Racer from Munich

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    Incredibly light headset and the obvious choice for my Extralite F1 v4.0 frameset.

The cups were fitted to the frame at the factory.

On first inspection a magnificent piece of engineering and perfect fisish.

Weaknesses:    Problem 1: The top headset cup started creaking in the frame. Removed the forks and the headset cup was easy to remove by hand. Extralite recommended slotting the cup back in by hand and using "Locktite". I'm not convinced, but I'll see how it goes.

Problem 2: started to feel play in the headset. Although I tightened the preload in ever increasing steps up to 10nm I was still not able to remove the play. It appears to be one (or both) bearing cartridge(s).

Will speak with Extralite this week and see what their response is.

Bottom Line:
Still happy with my Extralite purchase bacuse I know I can speak with the owner of Extralite and get the problem sorted.

Favorite Trail:   Rottach - Valepp - Spitzingsee

Purchased At:   Extralite, Italy

Bike Setup:   Self built Extralite frame, wheels, chainset, bars, bar ends, stem. Pace Racing RC39 forks. Magura Marta SL disc brakes and XTR gearing.

Extralite Freehead 2

Arrived a couple of days ago, thanks Dirtboy! It comes in at 74gms on my scales. I'm not sure why the top bearing shell is not black though, but I'm not particularly worried. The Freehead will replace my Chris King set it will save a bit of weight but will also lower my bar height by about 10mm. ... Read More »