Dia-Compe Headset Headset

2.53/5 (57 Reviews)

Diacompe A-headset

Submitted by elf 232 a Weekend Warrior from Maryland

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    It stayed in the frame i guess.

Weaknesses:    Honestly, i hate putting out a few extra bucks, but this thing is already warping my steerer tube and I heard another reviewer say it damaged his frame. Dont waste your time, it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Bottom Line:
This is an enemy to your bike, I have put about 400 miles on it and its just squeaks and whines the whole ride. It loosens up after every single ride and is a bugger to mess with.

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   Cane creek stuff

Bike Setup:   Specialized enduro

Submitted by Sean a Cross Country Rider from Lacey

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    none that I can think of!

Weaknesses:    bearings, races.

Bottom Line:
I had this headset for approximately three years and I could never keep the headset tight enough. I retourqued after almost every ride. I purchased a azonic headlock to help rememdy problem but that also failed. Eventually this headset warped my head tube and ruined my frame. I am now using an FSA orbit on my BPstealth and I love it! Go spend the money on an FSA and forget about it.

Purchased At:   black river adventurers

Similar Products Used:   cane creek, FSA orbit

Bike Setup:   00' fuji suncrest sx, full xt with sexy easton parts.

Submitted by Nitish a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    Good Price, Easy servicing

Weaknesses:    Weak, needs a lot of servicing, Not great manufacturing quality. Losens up easily. Bearings suck

Bottom Line:
Its an Ok begginers head set, nothing more, buy yourself a king and it will pay for it self with no hassles or maintenance.

Favorite Trail:   Any good 1

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   King, Ritchey

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    durability

Weaknesses:    Didn't had any for 6 year

Bottom Line:
I did look the last reviews and I don't beleave what people is saying!!! Mine has more than 4000 miles of riding and I didn't even grease it last 4 year! I'm doing all kind of riding: agressive wood riding to road riding. Maybe one of the headset was great on the production and I have it... :p

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by Andrew a Racer from Massachuets

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    simply...nothing

ROCK SHOX DELUXE for sale. Email me is interested.

Weaknesses:    weak as hell, ball bearings SUCK! o and if you care bout looks it isn't to hot their either.

ROCK SHOX DELUXE for sale. Email me is interested.

Bottom Line:
for some reason i had two of these headsets. I threw on of them on. Went out outside down my driveway and off a little stump, landed and the ball bearing had bent. Was only 2 or 3 foot jump. Went back inside, used the other one, went for a ride, came back and noticed my ball bearing was bent again. This thing is the biggest piece of crap. i see why i had two...i never wanted to use them. Weak as hell. Good thing i never used this in a race, never would of gotten of the starting line without haveing this thing bend. I am saying 1 chili, but this should 0 yes ZERO chili's. Never buy unless you want to waste money. Talking bout money i have a ROCK SHOX DELUXE for sale. Email me is interested.

Favorite Trail:   anything downhill

Similar Products Used:   i am not good with names.

Bike Setup:   stratos helix pro
psylo race
full XTR
Hope M4 disc brakes
race face cranks
...all the goodies

Submitted by Travis a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Strengths:    Price Simplicity

Bottom Line:
Never had the excess money to sow into a headset, rather than up-specing something else. Used them since the first, had good ones, great ones and OK ones.

Love reviews like Matt's below.....

"USED IT FOR 3 YEARS

CAN BUY IT FOR 10 BUCKS

THOROUGHLY THRASHED IT

(never needed servicing)

I DOUBT I WOULD TRUST BUYING ANOTHER ONE.."!!!!!!!!!!! (Then he gives it 4 chillis for Value!)

Can anyone tell me of anything else on the bike that you can thrash for 3 years and replace it the for the same for 10 bucks?

As the old saying goes "Don't look a gifted horse in the mouth"

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from St Louis

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2001

Strengths:    good bang for the buck i guess, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    not the strongest thing out there, but it served me well.

Bottom Line:
This thing came on my Trek 7000, which i bought in february of '99. I have thoroughly thrashed this bike. this bike has been through street sessions, more trials than a mountian bike should, commuting, and above all, lots and lots of XC. only once has the thing been taken apart and serviced, which was when i replaced the fork. that was when the bike was about 2 years old. anyway, lately i have noticed a crackling sound coming from the headtube, which i have deduced is the headset probably cracked. and it doesn't surprise me. i am not going to say that the thing is crap, because it isn't; but it is no king headset. i have seen the thing retail for 10 bucks, and if for that, i think you get a decent product. but i personally am hoping (note wording) to get a king headset. The bottom line is that it held up pretty well during the three years i used it. but that is just my experience. i doubt i would trust buying another one though.

Favorite Trail:   kokopelli trail loops in fruita

Purchased At:   Touring Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   nothin'

Bike Setup:   99 Trek 7000 with a bunch of upgrades i don't care to list

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Strengths:    None!

Weaknesses:    It´s so weak.

Bottom Line:
Cheap piece of junk! Don´t ever think of buying this crap...

Bike Setup:   Hardtail racingbike

Submitted by G a Weekend Warrior from Mass

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Oh c'mon there aren't any

Weaknesses:    1)Plastic top cap 2) tolerances are unacceptable 3)Ball bearing quality horrible.

Bottom Line:
Junk is all I can say. I have had this professionally pressed and packed and re-packed. This thing still losens and wobbles and shakes. It is true that you get what you pay for. Don't pay for this product. Dia- comp makes low end product period. Pay a little more get much better.

Favorite Trail:   Any with NO TRESSPASSING

Purchased At:   Cycleloft in Burllington MA

Similar Products Used:   WTB grease guard - good quality except for the rubber bands

Bike Setup:   Diamond back APEX Marzocchi Z2 SRAM and XT Bontrager and U.S.E shockpost - A beautifully crafted bike part

Submitted by Walter a Cross Country Rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Still works

Weaknesses:    Plastic cap doesn't look all that great

Bottom Line:
One of the only original parts on my Cannondale that still works. It came on the bike, the only difference I can imagine is that I swapt the standard fork with a RockShox, and in the proces greased the headset with plenty of water-resistant lithium-based high pressure grease. Also replaced the bottom cage with loose balls, a habit from a long time ago. I only took it apart a month ago, after six years of neglect. It rains half the year in Holland and I've took my bike halfway trough Europe, ALWAYS off road. Even drove into a lake a few years ago, no problem. So I guess the secret is to use lots of high quality grease and to stay away from high pressure cleaners.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale M900

Submitted by Alex Green a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2001

Strengths:    Cheapy cheapy cheap cheap!

Weaknesses:    needs regular lubing
fills with crap quite easily
creaky

Bottom Line:
S'ok I guess. Not great though. Dirt cheap to buy (ten quid) and seems to be built from reasonable grade materials. Nice'n'squeaky after a few miles so regular greasing is neccesary. Fills with crap easily so get Lizard skin or similar to protect it with. Much better than anything quilled, so as a cheap entry to the world of A-heads go for it! Reviewed as is, no point comparing it to a hundred quid headset now is there, unfortunately some people seem unable to realise that not everyone can afford or wants to spend huge amounts of moola on their bike.

Purchased At:   'The Bike Shop'

Similar Products Used:   god knows how many.

Bike Setup:   2001 GT Palomar

Submitted by Dennis a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Came with bike, it works.

Weaknesses:    Can't find any.

Bottom Line:
This think works, plain and simple. After a year of riding trails it hasn't let me down.

Favorite Trail:   Cathedral Pines

Purchased At:   Byran Lake

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000, IRC Mythos XC tires.

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    None, besides cheap

Weaknesses:    Plastic top poor design. You get what you pay for I guess

Bottom Line:
THis was horrible 80 miles in 1 1/2 weeks of cross country riding. I use a lizard skin to protect my headsets and always have done well in the past with others. Of the 80 miles I've used this on Porbably 30 miles was in some mud and slope from rain in days before. But now what happens after 80 miles creaks and some slop. Pull it apart past the point of even attempt to degrease regrease and then pack again. HOrrible headset and it's getting nothing close to a fire as this should not be used by anyone. You get what you pay for and trust me 20 more bucks could get you something much more durable than this. I've since upgraded to a nice creek headset and love it with over 400 miles of some of the nastiest terrain. Only clean once and a peice of cake to assemble.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   NOthing can stoop this low

Bike Setup:   Schwinn 95 .3 Hardtail

Submitted by Trey a Racer from Valrico

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheap

Bottom Line:
If you ride on pavement, this is not a bad headset at all. If your bike ever sees dirt, get something else. Contamination, flimsy, and rough are some of the words that come to mind with this headset. Since this is a mountain biking site, I will rate low on value (even though it is cheap) and overall under the assumption that everybody here is riding off-road.

Keep this headset for you neighborhood cruiser, where it is better than most threaded but leave it there. It is only a pretend headset for off-road.

Sure everybody can't go out and get a Chris King or Cane Creek S-5 but there are plenty good headsets less than $50 if you look hard. Even though this is a part that works best when you don't think about it, don't be afraid to spend a little extra on it. I'd rather think about the trail than the headset myself.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali