Cane Creek ZS Headset Headset

Weight : 96 grams MSRP : $32.00

For use with tapered head tube. Threadless design in 1-1/8" - 1 1/2".

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Kila

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2005

Strengths:    Very short, and light. Super excellent customer support. Is that descriptive what.

Weaknesses:    First set was stiff turning. Was to loose, or to tight with only a fraction of a turn (of set screw). This spring I ulled bike up stairs to do tune up, and found my head set totally siezed up. Pulled it apart and was indeed rusted ???

Bottom Line:
As I read on this Review board, I e-mailed Cane Creek customer support, explained my delema, and recieved an extreemely positive responce whithin 24 hours. I will be receiving a new head set soon, and fully antisapate that I will be completely satisfied with the new and improved head set. Did I say that the customer support is supper excellent!!! To me that means that they really believe in their product.

Favorite Trail:   Spencer Lake

Purchased At:   Jenson's Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Inferno XC Pro frame, full Shimano XTR, Spinergy wheels w/Stan's no tubes using Hutchinson Python Gold Elite tires, Marzocchi Marathon S forks...NNNice :)

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol, CT

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2004

Strengths:    Seems Ok after a hard year of riding

Weaknesses:    None as yet

Bottom Line:
Since Cane Creek warranted the defective cups last year, I have had absolutely no problems with loosening or creaking of the headset. Very solid. I have regreased the bearings once last fall, but they were very clean, not gritty. I hope to get at least another year of use out of it.

Similar Products Used:   Regular headsets in other bikes. The GIANT NRS requires a Zero Stack Headset

Bike Setup:   GIANT NRS

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good.
ZS-2 has better seals than the ZS.
Cheap.

Weaknesses:    The original ZS has a flawed design, so don't buy
it under any circumstances! The ZS-2 seems to be much
better but the seals on the lower bearings could be a bit
better.

Bottom Line:
Well, you can get this headset for relatively
little money on ebay. Good value. There are
better products out there but hey - it's only
a headset.

Similar Products Used:   ZS, ZS-2

Submitted by Joe Mc a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, Ireland

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Stock CC h/set on Giant was cack. There was play in the bearing in race, and the bearings fell to pieces after 12 motnhs. I bought a similiar replacement h/set from giant, but the same thing happened. I called CC, and I received a new h/set!! Looks like its better quality than the last, so I'll give it a go. Thumbs up for customer service.

Favorite Trail:   Lord of the Rings, Gran Canaria

Purchased At:   Cycle Inn

Similar Products Used:   Std Cane Creek h/set

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Team

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Ravensdale, WA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Strengths:    Seals out dirt and moisture fairly well. Smooth, easy to install.

Weaknesses:    Original set was defective. Called Cane Creek and a replacement set (complete) was mailed out

Bottom Line:
So far so good. The replacement set was easy to install. The original set was either too loose, or too tight. Cane Creek has great customer service other company's could take a lesson from.
Not too many choices for Giant owners when it comes to integrated headsets, without hesitiation I would buy these again.

Similar Products Used:   C2

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC, Raceface crank, Shimano shifters, Sun Singletracks, Duke 100, Thudbuster, Laser V, Azonic bars, Stiffy stem

Submitted by NATSU a Weekend Warrior from HAWAII

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    Good looks, simple design, low stack height, customer service.

Weaknesses:    Everything excluding the above on first generation ZS headsets.

Bottom Line:
Headset was defective and did not work properly after first 4 months. Contacted CC and was sent the wrong replacement bearing set. Contacted CC again and they sent me a whole new headset.
Very pleased with CC's commitment to their products and their customer service in making it right! As far as the new headset, it works like it was supposed to; simple, smooth and maintenance free.

Favorite Trail:   Waimea Valley

Purchased At:   came stock on AC1

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, WTB Momentum

Bike Setup:   AC1

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Bristol CT USA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    ZS-2 Headset...Bearings,cups, crown race...Pretty simple in concept.

Weaknesses:    Was defective on a new frame. Bearings were sloppy from the get-go.

Bottom Line:
Well, this Zer-Stack headset deserved ZERO chili's for being a hunka junk from the start. It was impossible to preload the bearings and remove the play in the fork tube/ frame interface. BUT , Cane Creek sent me a bearing and race kit , complete, free of charge when I used their customer service email. I recieved it fast and the new bearings are noticeably different from the old ones. Looks like a better seal system, and they don't have radial slop like the old ones.
When a company responds in this manner, THUMBS UP.. I will have to give their air shocks a look over when I get in the market for a new one. I can't stand my Rock Shox SID, it's hard to adjust.
I would buy from Cane Creek in the future, even though a bad headset came with the fork. They realized it was a mistake and corrected the problem as soon as they were told.

Similar Products Used:   Chris King Aheadset..Rock solid, never had a problem.

Bike Setup:   2001 GIANT NRS 1, custom build.

Submitted by kent from mandeville

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Strengths:    customer service
cartridge bearings

Weaknesses:    bottom race

Bottom Line:
i had a problem with mine.
cane creek rules. the customer service was great, they helped me and fixed my problem. they had better service then most companies ive bought from.
thanks cne creek,
kent hoggatt

Similar Products Used:   plenty of other headsets

Bike Setup:   diamondback xsl pro

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Calistoga, California, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2001

Strengths:    Looks sweet...all intergrated into the frame. Bigger serface area at point of conection to frame which means to me it can be stronger while being lighter.

Weaknesses:    Abosolutly the bearings!! Mine too, after a year, went out so to speak. Grinding noise is never a good sound on a bike.

Bottom Line:
It worked great up to a year, but thanks to Rick and Eli's post, I'm calling up Cane Creek and getting hooked up. Thank's for the info Guys!

Favorite Trail:   Now if I told you that, I't wouldn't my favorite trail any more.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC SE-1

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2001

Strengths:    It works!

Weaknesses:    Will only fit certain bikes

Bottom Line:
After a year of hard riding, the bearings went bad. Called Cane Creek and right off the bat they are sending me the new improved bearing kit free. With the exception of an apperant problem with the original bearings, the headset works great, and does its job wonderfully.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC NRS

Submitted by geko a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2001

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Cartidge bearing self-destructed after less than 3 months of riding!!!

Bottom Line:
We deserve a better product than this.

Similar Products Used:   Raceface Headset

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC AC1

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Tasmania,Australia

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    It is a headset. It does the job very sweet. No problems so far.

Weaknesses:    Maybe not so good having it only fit those bikes with a machine headtube.

Bottom Line:
It does the job of a headset very well. It looks great, coz its not beefy above and below the head tube.

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 890

Submitted by Eli Stair a Cross Country Rider from Providence, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Light?

Weaknesses:    Relatively poor craftsmanship, shipped in a defective condition, bearings self-destruct when installed, all milled parts are not polished, have mill marks and burrs. Too light and flimsy.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my post below. I received the replacement bearings, crown race, compression ring and top cap from Cane Creek. After installation the headset actually works! It adjusts properly, is smooth and the bearings are even a little beefier than those provided originally. Bottom line: You'll get this headset if you buy a bike that can use it, and if you do call Cane Creek at 800-234-2725, and they'll send you the "correct" parts.
No product should ever be distributed with such a flaw, but
at least they fixed it. 1 chili value, it retails for $70, and 2 overall, it's not well made but it works OK.

Submitted by Eli Stair a Cross Country Rider from Barrington, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    Being that the headset/headtube are wider than normal
there may be a benefit in frame stiffness from the design.

Weaknesses:    Feels flimsy, the crown race is just plain cheesy, the cups
aren't polished to any degree (still have cnc marks), and
the bearings don't feel precise at all. The headset, in the
form it came with my Giant NRS Air frame, doesn't work
properly. It is either too loose, or too tight but never
"just right". I called Cane Creek and they said they've
redesigned the bearings and crown race/tension ring and
shipped me a new set for free.

Bottom Line:
The headset seems to have been rushed out the door so to
speak, as the parts do not function correctly together.
However it would appear Cane Creek is aware of this and is
correcting it for free. Unfortunately for most people who
buy a bike with this headset, at least at the shop I got
my frame from, it won't be fixed off the line. The shop
mechanic I talked to before calling CC said "basically, all
the ones I've seen do that", wrong answer, MINE won't do
that. I wish Cane Creek would have informed the companies
they sold the headset with and let them know they've fixed
a known issue. I will update with the new bearings when
I get a chance to.