Cane Creek S-8 Headset

The S-8 headset is an updated design of our S-6 headset, featuring replaceable bearings and a lighter, more compact profile. In addition to its sealed steel cartridge bearings, the S-8’s overhanging cup/cover design keeps contaminants from reach.

Submitted by noisy cricket a Downhiller from Silang, Cavite, Philippines

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Strengths:    Sealed bearings are great, the price was even better.

Weaknesses:    I still have to find out...

Bottom Line:
'Been using other cane creek headsets for almost three years and I'm satisfied with the way they've performed. I thought about up-grading to another brand for heavier DH applications, but after reading the reviews, and seen how other people appreciated the product, I've decided to stick with my present set and see how long it'll take to wear it down. I recommend cane creek s-8 headsets to anyone with a bike with an over-sized head tube.

Favorite Trail:   local trails

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   s-3

Bike Setup:   kona coiler w/ rst r1 triple, center-posted

Submitted by kirsche1 a Cross Country Rider from jensen beach florida

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    Very smooth,sealed bearings,lite.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
It's a great Headset for not a lot of Money.

Favorite Trail:   anything off road

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   stock headset [?]

Bike Setup:   Yup!

Submitted by KrackerG a Weekend Warrior from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    well designed, as good as or better than most Chris King headsets I've seen, which are more than twice the price. this model looks awesome!

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
you can pay much more for a different headset, and not get a better product. i've used other cane creek headsets (s-2) and thought it was "just ok". I was getting ready to spend over 100 for a chris king, but opt'd for this after reading these reviews and seeing it. Cane Creek really did a great job designing this model, its very well built...i believe they created a winner with this one!

Favorite Trail:   Wakefield

Purchased At:   Rocky Mountain Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Aheadset, Cane Creek S-2, Richey

Bike Setup:   K2 brass monkey, marzocchi z1 forks, XT der, shimano lx cranks, hellbent bars, hayes hyd. discs

Submitted by codydog1133 a Cross Country Rider from McMinnville

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    Stainless steel sealed bearings! This headset performs as well as others that cost twice as much or more. I have been on several trail rides with this headset so far, it is still very smooth, and has not had to be readjusted after or during a ride like other headsets I have had in the past.This is a quality headset. Thank you Cane Creek!

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
If you are a XC rider and want a worry free headset, this is it.

Favorite Trail:   AEDC

Purchased At:   Bikeisland.com

Bike Setup:   1X9 set up with a Rocky Mountain Vertex 70 frame, XT components, avid BB5 brakes, and Cane Creek wheels

Submitted by CourageousLion a Cross Country Rider from Harrison, Arkansas, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2008

Strengths:    Very nice strong headset.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see.

Bottom Line:
I purchased an Aegis frame that had a Cane Creek S2 installed, but the bearings were missing. So I figured I could either buy bearings or a new headset. Well the bearings were as much as a headset so I thought, let's see what my 6.9 Madone has on it. It is a Cane Creek S8. I figured if TREK puts one of these on a $8K bike they MUST be good headsets so now I am looking to replace the S2 on the Aegis frame with a S8 by Cane Creek. Anyone wanting a fair priced very well made headset should consider this one vs some of the shine brands.

Favorite Trail:   Roads around my town

Purchased At:   Came with 6.9 Madone

Similar Products Used:   Token Ceramic

Bike Setup:   http://velospace.org/node/15869

Submitted by barnyard a Weekend Warrior from Mississippi

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2008

Strengths:    Works well-smooth, looks nice, and the big plus, the interlock spacers. A good value for the money.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
This headset is a good value. It comes with the alloy interlock spacers. That feature makes this product an even better value.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   onlin

Similar Products Used:   chris king

Bike Setup:   I put this on my winter bike

Submitted by Troy with the magic wand a Racer from Boston

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2008

Strengths:    It feels nice, looks nice, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    It's not a chris king?

Bottom Line:
I don't have any issues with this headset. It's looks nice and feels nice. As a joke I have a Chris King cap on it. I tell my friends I have a King Headset (already purhased 3 of those, not again), and they say "you've got a king cap". Cane Creek makes a nice headset. It's a good value.

Favorite Trail:   none

Purchased At:   vendor

Similar Products Used:   King

Bike Setup:   winter bike/ hodgepodge of parts on an inexpensive steel frame

Submitted by Barry Leigh a Weekend Warrior from South Orange, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    Well made. Solid. No creaking or other noisy "sounds like trouble." Good stack height, if that's important to you.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I'm just a road and paved trail rider, so I can't address the S-8's off-road durability, but I'll wager that it would hold (the sealed ball bearings cartridge) up fine. Cane Creek is a quality company that clearly takes pride in its products. Sure, I read the arguments for Chris King (on the CK website) but the S-8 can't be beat for the money. This model is now suddenly hard to find at the online shops. 5 Chillis. I would give it even a 'hotter' score if I could. Chipolte pepper, anyone?

Favorite Trail:   Liberty State Park

Purchased At:   BlueSky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   The stock Aheadset that came with the bike. What a difference!

Bike Setup:   Kawasaki KDX Full-Suspension 7-Speed. Replaced almost all of the stock components. I Installed SRAM TRX Trigger Shifters, SRAM 730 Cassette and SRAM 3.0 derailleur, tried and true Shimano Square Taper BB and crankset. Rock Shox Dart 2 fork. Sun Rhyno Rims, Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers + Avid Single Digit 7 rear V-Brake. Promax 3.0 front Mechanical Disc brake. No rear disc because of the extra- wide rear frame triangle.

Submitted by cl a Cross Country Rider from N. Cal

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2007

Strengths:    smooth, tight and precise steering, good pricing, cartrige bearing provide better weather seal.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Upgraded from stock aheadset after three years and wow, what a difference, I think both the fork and headset upgrade contribute to the much more precise steering, this headset is tight, smooth and well made, with the affordable price this is an ideal upgrade item.

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toad