Cane Creek S-6 Headset Headset

3.57/5 (14 Reviews)
Weight : 84 grams MSRP : $42.99

CNC-machined 7075-T6 aluminum, stainless steel races and crown race, sealed angular contact bearing cartridges (replaceable) with full complement of stainless steel ball bearings; neoprene bearing seals; waterproof grease; aluminum top-cap.

Submitted by azbb23 a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    Looks good, silky smooth bearings

Weaknesses:    None, once I figured out what the problem was.

Bottom Line:
I was just about to jump on-board the hate train for this headset after I installed my Reba Race. Up until this time it had worked perfectly with the IRD rigid fork that I had been using for almost a year. But after I installed the Reba, suddenly it became hard to adjust, creaked and would bind-up. Turns out that there was a small imperfection inside the headtube that caused the bottom bearing cup to bend inward and make contact with the tapered aluminum steerer of the Reba. A little Dremel action and no more problems. If you have the money, get a King, if not, save 60 to 100 dollars and get a Cane Creek, I've got them on all my bikes.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Logic, Chris King, other Cane Creek "S" series

Bike Setup:   Soma Juice, RockShox Reba Race, Sram X.9, Avid BB7 Disc Brakes, Easton EA50 seatpost, stem and bar.

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Silver color. That's about it

Weaknesses:    Everything but the silver color.

Bottom Line:
Once in a while, Nashbar does a blowout sale on some items, and you have to wonder why the price is so low. In this case, the headset is absolutely junk. I can see whey Nashbar were practically giving them away. Like the previous reviewers, this headset will not sit still. You have to constantly adjust it. I have Cane Creek's Thudbuster and wheelset, and they're both great. But this headset is a total bust.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   FSA

Bike Setup:   The kind with two wheels

Submitted by Dominic L a Cross Country Rider from Northern California

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    Interchangeable sealed bearings. Stainless steel crown race. Silver looks nice.

Bottom Line:

I've had this headset for over 3 years, came with the bike. I ride 3 to 4 times a week in all conditions. It has been through mud, dusty and wet conditions and have never had to replace clean or do any maintenance to it even when I spray wash my bike. If you can get one of these for a good price I would buy it. The s6 has a stainless steel crown race that will prevent corrosion and rust over the lower end models of this brand and many other competitors even in the higher price range. If I ever have a problem I just replace the bearings with not special tools or having to remove the cups and these bearings are available and made by different manufacturers and can be found really cheap if I ever need to change them. The only issue I have is a slight discoloration but all headsets will change color in wet, heat and sunny conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Tough hills

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Integrated headsets only

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel XTR, XT, Rockshox Sid race

Submitted by Matthew Raggett a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2006

Strengths:    Solid, looks nice

Weaknesses:    In the wet. This is not the headset to use if you ride in wet conditions (or if you clean your bike!)

Bottom Line:
After 6 months the thing needed taking apart, cleaned and greased up to stop it grinding, now it needs the same treatment very week. Next week I think I'll froget the cleaning and buy something with a little more 'seal' to it.
Singapore gets lots of rain and is very hot;any moisture that can get in will start doing its damage at a speed like nothing I knew in Europe or on Vancouver Island. I have never taken a headset apart until using the S6. It is very strong and I would not be changing in if I lived in the dry.

Favorite Trail:   Vancouver Island

Purchased At:   In Singapore

Similar Products Used:   Aheadset DiaCompe

Bike Setup:   Blur LT, RP3, Vanilla R, XTR, Mavic CrossLand

Submitted by Thad a Weekend Warrior from Princeton, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth, sealed bearings, silver looks good.

Weaknesses:    Seems heavier than my other. If you can't push the weight of this headset...give up.

Bottom Line:
I bought this because I killed my stock headset after 2 years. It is afordable, I've had no problems, and it looks fine. Good for an upgrade from stock equipment. It's a headset, why pay more?

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Stock with bike.

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0

Submitted by Zachary a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Strengths:    Works well at sealing out dirt and is adequately light.

Weaknesses:    The bearing set is lousy. I am going on my third set this year. The headset needs to constantly be adjusted. I have had it looked at by 3 different pro mechanics and it won't stay adjusted correctly.

Bottom Line:
If you like to constantly wrench on your bike this is your dream headset. If you're like me and want to just get on and go, this product helps Dante create a new circle. I think it's time to pry my wallet open for a king!

Favorite Trail:   Apex Park

Purchased At:   QBP

Similar Products Used:   Aheadset SAS, Cane Creek IS

Bike Setup:   Gunnar, Custom

Submitted by Cliff a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, smoooooth sealed angular contact stainless steel bearings, Cane Creek tech support

Weaknesses:    None for riding in dry conditions; for a lot of riding wet/rainy conditions, seals look like they could "seal" a little better - but assuming the bearings are fully packed with a top quality waterproof grease... yep I'm reaching

Bottom Line:
No problems; silky smooth bearings - hold inner race with one hand and push and turn outer housing with the other. Nice...can't feel any bearing roughness or play. Even better on the bike. Looks like a pretty good seal setup on the bearing itself. Same after several months use, including rock garden hammerings and mild drops, downhill 2 to 3 feet with 185lb rider.

Buy if you need a great XC headset; especially if you can find it on sale in the $50 dollar range. The bearings should say "stainless steel" on them. Currently, bearings for 1 1/8 inch s-2 and s-6 interchange so if you have an s-2 (I did), you can upgrade for about $30 to the s-6 bearings but check with CC tech support first. Cane Creek Tech is, as usual, very good.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Aheadsets, FSA, S-2, Dia-Compe?, generic

Bike Setup:   Older Trek URT with SID SL, XTR. Also in a newer Jamis Dakar (S-6 bearings in Cane Creek OEM ZS cups), XTR or similar level components w/SID XC fork

Submitted by El Tempo Gigante a Cross Country Rider from Copenhagen, Denmark

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2004

Strengths:    Nice machining. Laser engraved text.

Weaknesses:    I'm a bit disappointed with this headset. There’s 1mm (yes…1 full mm!!) of difference in diameter between the upper cover and the upper cup. Lots of room for mud getting in close contact with the bearing. Now I perfectly understand why it’s a sealed industrial unit. I’m a mechanical engineer and I know when I see a lousy construction. This is one of them. Luckily, I got this headset dirt cheap. Intended to use it on my XC bike when I bought it, but now I will use it on my daily driver. Guess it will hold fine on tarmac. Oh.... and the black color is not even black.. more like brownish black.

Bottom Line:
NOT intended for use in the dirt!

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Scuzzy Logic Pro... much better than the S6.

Bike Setup:   Principia, XTR/XT driveline, Hope brakes.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from PA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2004

Strengths:    Light, smooth.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the SoLos headset.

I've been upgrading my Specialized hardtail for the past two years. I thought the OE headset was perfectly fine until I rode the SoLos. Significant weight savings, and the bearings are frictionless, or so it seems. This headset , along with a Thompson stem and Easton EC70 flat bar has made my bike a lighter and much more efficient riding platform

The SoLos headset also carries a 10 year guarantee.

Bike Setup:   Mavic, Thompson, Easton carbon, LX to XTR drivetrain/brakes, Specialized hardtail frame

Submitted by james boggs a Cross Country Rider from hickory, nc

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    smoooth, strong, easy to grease & clean

Bottom Line:
Man, it is very, very, very, very hard to try to come up with 50 words to describe a headset, but I'll try. I was mad because I thought my s-6 was creaking and had been for almost 2 years and was going to write a bad review. I finally figured out that it was my seatpost, so I am giving the s-6 a positive review because it has worked well for 2 years.

Favorite Trail:   turkey run

Purchased At:   (included fuel 100)

Similar Products Used:   diacomp, aheadset

Bike Setup:   stock fuel 100

Submitted by Robert Merrill a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Cane Creek name, light, blue

Weaknesses:    ...uh, not available in pink?

Bottom Line:
Personally I think this is a great heatset. has survived Moab twice, Fruta several times and many, many miles of Colorado trail. Even my bike mechanic likes it.

Favorite Trail:   Pollocks Bench