Cane Creek S-2 Headset Headset

3.6/5 (40 Reviews)
Weight : 84 grams MSRP : $50.00

Forged 6061-T6 aluminum, steel races and crown race, sealed angular-contact bearing cartridges (replaceable), aluminum top-cap.

Submitted by stillkeen a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, cartridge bearings.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Potentially it's not very pretty ...

Bottom Line:
It's been in 6 months. Its worked perfectly since day one. For the price, it can't be beat. If I was buying again, then I see I can get a Ritchey WCS for about $30, and I'd get that instead.

Favorite Trail:   Split Ends (Rotorua NZ)

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, various loose ball OEM headsets.

Bike Setup:   This is on a commuter, a Ridgeback 700c flat bar bike. The OEM headset had fully rusted out, so I figured cartridge would stop me paying for headset pressing in the future.

Submitted by Romano a Weekend Warrior from Palm Springs, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive, light, sealed bearings which are removable when installing the aluminum cups.

Weaknesses:    Bearing cups, the part pressed into the headtube, are made of lightweight aluminum, race is very cheap, covered in rubber to help seal lower bearing.

Bottom Line:
I bought mine on close-out from Nashbar several years ago, the sealed bearing is easily removed when pressing into headset. Wish I had bought more, have not seen them for sale recently. Recommend for Cyclocross or cross country MTB only.

Favorite Trail:   Los Penasquitos Preserve

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   King & Race Face

Bike Setup:   Have 4 sets, cyclocross & cross country MTB

Submitted by fuse a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2009

Strengths:    Survived the winter race series in the UK, which includes lots of rain, mud and sand. Didn't complain when I maxed out the Psylo forks at 125mm.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bearings eventually turned to dust.

Bottom Line:
Probably worth what I paid for them. If I can get replacement bearings, it's totally worth it. That's 3+ years of service for $30.

Favorite Trail:   The Black Mountain, Wales

Purchased At:   Cotic

Similar Products Used:   WTB loose ball (i.e. rust magnet), FSA Orbit XL

Bike Setup:   Cotic Soul, Psylo Race forks, XT

Submitted by SamB a Cross Country Rider from Juda, WI

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2008

Strengths:    Affordable, light, durable, dependable

Weaknesses:    Angular design of upper cup is not as asthetically pleasing as other designs.

Bottom Line:
This has been a no hassle headset. Since installation I have had zero problems with it. Highly recommended. You could spend more for fancier stuff but why? If a headset fails your steering suffers but you aren't going to crash.

I gave it 5 for value, 5 for function.

Favorite Trail:   anything in Fruita CO

Purchased At:   Price point

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey fuzzy logic, tange

Bike Setup:   Two schwinns, one a homegrown (1998), sram shifters and drive train, manitou skareb fork.

Submitted by corey a Weekend Warrior from se usa

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
bought a new marz fork and this headset came with it. I installed it and have been riding it for about two years. No problems yet. It never gets wet though, if it were to get wet on a regular basis, I think it might crap out quick. I don't think the design would keep water out.

Purchased At:   came with new fork

Submitted by Aaron Wixon a Racer from Needham, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Strengths:    Holy power which miraculously within this headset which is capable of withstanding the power of a flat to flat 4ft drop from a short standing start. Silent, takes abuse, doesn't seem to mind being naked. (No dustcap)

Weaknesses:    Wide stack diameter.

Bottom Line:
Odd as this sounds, I've been using it on my 29lb We The People Thrillseeker BMX BIKE. I wasn't able to fit the dust cap over the top bearing cup after discovering my Snafu Gyro was hitting it, so I just took it off. Ive been doing 4ft drops with it very often during the warmer seasons. I bent a 36H Rhynolite rim doing so, but the headset works perfectly. So far, no wear, no noises etc. I got it for free from a fellow bike mechanic so as you would expect, I was incredibly abusive to it. As im writing, my beater bmx bike is sitting in the garage after a fresh ride in the rain with this headset. 5 Chilis for value. It was free. 5 Chilis for overall. Im happy with it and believe it is a quality piece of componentry.

Similar Products Used:   Aheadset C-4, Chris King, Tioga Alchemy, Aheaset S-1, Diatech D-Cup, FAS Pig DH, Eastern Integrated, Campy Chorus, Shimano XTR Threaded 1 1/8"

Bike Setup:   WTP Thrillseeker, Ti Spindle, Eastern Pro Cranks, Drive MAG pedals, Odyssey Elementary, Odyssey Evolvers, Snafu Astroglide, Macneil bars,seat (sl) & post, Cane Creek S-2, Sun Rhynolite 36H Laced to Redline Sealed Hubs.

Submitted by Brian from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2006

Strengths:    Umm, the lizard on the top cap looks cool.

Weaknesses:    I, like at least one other on this forum, experienced one of the cups completely shearing away from the headtube insert. I'm just glad I only paid cost for this thing. I'm also glad I didn't get hurt. It certainly isn't worthy of its $50 price tag. Cane Creek: I hope you address this! I guess it's time to bite the bullet and get another King.

Bottom Line:
I ride pretty hard and pretty fast on a fully rigid 29'er single speed, so my headset takes some abuse, but this is still unacceptable. Cane Creek has a one-year warranty so I doubt they'll help me out, but I wouldn't want another one. I know Cane Creek builds some decent stuff but the S2 headset isn't one of them.

Submitted by BLOPA from ARGENTINA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Strengths:    feeling, hard looking, great sensibility

Bottom Line:
you put, very easy, and you forget

Favorite Trail:   secret

Purchased At:   local store

Bike Setup:   gt avalanche with upgrades

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2006

Strengths:    Price... it works ok.

Weaknesses:    Starts loosening and rattling under heavy use.

Bottom Line:
Not the best out there, but it works somewhat. You get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Fujimi Panarama Course "C"

Purchased At:   Store in Saipan

Similar Products Used:   Chris King

Bike Setup:   Weyless XP w/ Fox Float RP3, Marzocchi Z.1 FR SL 2004, Mavic EX 729, Shimano Saint Cranks, Shimano Saint Brakes, Shimano XTR front and rear derailluer M751.

Submitted by Nhel a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2006

Strengths:    performs well, money's worth, looks cool

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
value for your money... performs well for 7 years i've used it and still use it today....

Favorite Trail:   tagaytay,tanay, sta.rosa..

Purchased At:   cylce art

Bike Setup:   G.T aggressor " XC" HARO werks " freeride"

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Grande Cache, AB

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2006

Strengths:    Works
Looks good
Decent price

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I do agree there are some marginal headsets out there - in fact, I bought the S2 to replace an Aheadset STS that developed an annoying, abrupt slip under heavy braking, due to wear on substandard bearing races. The STS was new, properly installed and adjusted, but it simply could handle what my new Pantera frame could dish out. The S2, on the other hand, has been absolutely trouble free. Even installing a fork with another 20mm of travel (and the subsequent harder riding) had no ill effects.

I suspect that a lot of the complaints about this headset are the result of faulty installation. One guy writes about it working loose the first ride after his shop installed it. Find a new shop, guy - any headset that works loose after the first ride wasn't properly installed, or your frame was damaged prior to install. Either way, the shop is at fault.

My S2 has seen two seasons on top of a five inch fork, and is as tight and smooth as when new. If there is any difference between the Cane Creek and the FSA Orbit XLII (a highly rated headset) on one of my other bikes, I can't see it.

Won't give the S2 a five rating - that's reserved for the legendary King, but as many say, it had better be the best at that price.

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   FSA Orbit XLII, Aheadset STS, Aheadset SE

Bike Setup:   2003 Ventana Pantera w/ 120mm Marzo Marathon S

Submitted by Ivan a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2006

Strengths:    Looks Flash

Weaknesses:    Will not stay adjusted, slackens every ride and can't use front brakes without shuddering of forks. It's seems to be a piece of junk on my bike set up. I have had it in to Brixton Cycles to be looked at a couple of times but problem persists. Have to keep tightening.

Bottom Line:
Take a look at how many negative reviews there are on this forum and think about buying something else.

Purchased At:   Brixton Cycles

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey, Mavic 700cc rims, single speed, etc

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior from Joplin, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Strengths:    It works.

Weaknesses:    None come to mind.

Bottom Line:
Okay, I don't know what much else to say about this product other than it works. I do mostly XC and I use my bike to get across campus to class and I've had no problems at all with this headset. I bought it over a year a go to replace the junk Aheadset that came stock on an older bike and had it reinstalled when I got my new Fetish frame.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Dirt