Cane Creek Double XC Flush Headset

• Stack Height: 10 mm
  • Bearing Type: Cartridge

Submitted by NorCalNomad a Downhiller from Redding/Pomona/Bay Area, California

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2009

Strengths:    -10mm Stack height. Was super important to me since the steerer tube on the fork I wanted to use was super short compared to the headtube I was putting it in.
-The fact that this headset uses 45/45 campy bearings (integrated bearings) makes it soooo easily replicable if I ever have to. So basically the cups turn your 1.5 headtube into a 1.125 integrated headtube...I like that.
-Once the cups were pressed in and the race set this thing was basically a drop in installation.
-Sealed bearings make everything nice and simple.
-Traditional aheadset tightening system (that little wedge split washer thing) I have heard that people hate the Sunline Reducer set because of the way that you install/ tighten it.

Weaknesses:    -Price. A BMX headset (2 bearings, race, little split washer wedge thingy, and milled and annoed spacer/ dust cover) is 20-35 bucks and I have a hard time thinking that the and the reducer cups are really worth the $80 that it would work out to be at the MSRP of $110. I think it's a little BS but whatever.

Bottom Line:
From what I have heard about this headset it will hold up for a LONG time and you know even though it does cost a little more than I think it should, it's a SOLID product that I don't have to think about. Also Cane Creek does put out quality stuff so I don't doubt that it will hold up.

So even though it is I think over priced it's a part that I'm willing to pay for. (or at least w/ a shop discount ;) )

Favorite Trail:   Boy Scout in Pacifica

Marzocchi 66 VF
Mavic 325's laced to generic 32h hubs
SRAM x.9 set
Hayes hfx-9 8" F&R
Shimano Hone Cranks B-32-22 (want at least a 34 ring)
Truvative Hussfelt cockpit

Submitted by Hangtime a Weekend Warrior from John

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2009

Strengths:    Tight fit, well made

Bottom Line:
Bought this HS to replace the FSA. Very well made, clean tight fit and no O rings to keep popping out. Transferring this HS from a Bottlerocket to a new Highline. The bearings are well sealed and in great shape after one year of use. For a reducer HS this is a great buy.

Favorite Trail:   Crank It Up (Whistler)

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   FSA Orbit 1.5 reducer

Bike Setup:   Turner Highline

Submitted by travis a Downhiller from simi valley, ca

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    tight fit, clean, flush well made

Weaknesses:    little blue rings seemed to slop around a but, but they stopped when everything was bolted up.

Bottom Line:
this headset fits well, looks good ,and has a tight feel to it and is strong, "if it holds up for the pro's it should have no problem with me." the whole kit has like 5-6 pieces so its simple too. retails for like $109.95, but you can find them for $78.95 all over.
chris kings are nice, but im not dropping $180 on a damn headset!

Favorite Trail:   G-spot