Cane Creek Double X Headset

4.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Cane Creek Double X 1.5" Headset: Compatible with OnePointFive frames (with 49.5mm ID) and forks. Sealed cartridge bearings with T-seals. 7075 machined aluminum cups, 20mm insertion depth.

Submitted by jeff a Downhiller from souris canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    wont ever break looks pretty sick

Weaknesses:    makes i wierd loud cracking noise under pressure and im so pissed off about it

Bottom Line:
its nice and strong but is very loud

Favorite Trail:   cebos revenge

Similar Products Used:   nothing like this finicky thing

Bike Setup:   stock trek session 77

Submitted by Grant a Racer from Macon, GA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2006

Strengths:    Lets me run a real live, non-Cannondale fork. Sealed bearings.

Weaknesses:    Somehow I scoff at the price of a King headset, but this thing made sense. It is expensive.

Bottom Line:
To be clear, the Double X is for forks with 1.5 steerers. The Double Xc and Xc short (which is what I use) are the reducer headsets that allow you to run a 1 1/8 steerer in your Cannondale.

So far, I have nothing but praise. I haven't heard or felt anything untoward from the headset. It allowed me to exchange a Fatty for a new fork with 100mm travel and a fancy schmancy stable platform for less than half of what a comparably speced Lefty would have set me back. That's even before you talk about the new hub for the Lefty.....in that regard, maybe it isn't so expensive.

Love the new fork. Thanks, headset.

Favorite Trail:   Arrowhead Park

Purchased At:   Bike Tech

Bike Setup:   f2000 frame

Submitted by Marshall a Downhiller from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2005

Strengths:    This is about the best headset to buy in the 1.5 category. Race face doesn't make one, neither does Chris King. That being said, I wanted to get a sealed bearing headset. So this was the obvious choice.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of right now.

Bottom Line:
As far as I am concerned, until Chris King or Race Face makes a 1.5 headset, this is the best choice. This is a quality product for sure, I would just like a Race Face one to match all the other components on my bike. I got mine on eBay for less than 1/2 of the MSRP.

Favorite Trail:   North Star- Lake Tahoe

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   FSA

Bike Setup:   '04 Iron Horse SGS DH Pro, race face seatpost, bars, stem, and cranks, ATOMLAB DHR rims, DT-Swiss Hugi FR 440 front and rear hubs, Cane Creek 1.5 headset, MRP World Cup chain guide, Nokian tires 2.6 rear and 3.0 front, '05 Marzocchi Shivers.

Submitted by MIKE a Weekend Warrior from Silver Spring, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2005

Strengths:    Great Add-on for an older Cannondale. Also great because no reducer cups are needed so it takes up less stack height.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Great headset and shop around for prices. Greenfish had the $60 price acouple of weeks ago.

Favorite Trail:   Schafer Farm

Purchased At:   Green Fish

Similar Products Used:   Aheadset

Bike Setup:   93 Cannondale f400. Xt compmonents. Marzocchi shock.

Submitted by Rollin a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    Finally have a worthy fork on my C'dale! Beautiful workmanship. Beefy! I have total confidence on the biggest drops w/ this headset!

Weaknesses:    Expensive, but you get what you pay for! Worth every penny!

Bottom Line:
Thank God for this headset!

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by G G a Cross Country Rider from Annapolis, MD

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2004

Strengths:    Lets me use a state-of-the-art fork instead of a 50mm Headshok in my Cannondale without screwing up the geometry.

Weaknesses:    Heavy heavy but worth it if you're happy with your frame. The sleeves that slide into the head tube were longer than the machined recess in the head tube. I already bought a nice Fox fork so I sucked it in and took a hacksaw to my new headset(gulp, but happy ending). It worked fine, my bike rides like a dream on it's new fork! It's still about a third of a pound heavier than Cane Creek headsets in my other bikes but, hey, gotta bridge a fairly big gap.

Bottom Line:
Good way to upgrade a Cannondale, wish I didn't need to use a hacksaw on it first!

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   1 1/8 Cane Creek, Cannondale Headshok, old threaded sets.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hardtail CAAD 2

Submitted by RAS a Cross Country Rider from AZ

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2004

Strengths:    Same as below - frighteningly so! 98 CAAD2. Headshok was rediculous for where I live! When it died, a new 2003 Marzocci MX Pro ETA 105mm fell in my lap, so, after some research, I purchased this headset. It is killer! Everything I have to say was said below.

Weaknesses:    A bit spendy, but the shock was free, so hey...

Bottom Line:
Thank You Cane Creek!

Diss your headshock and get into the REAL world of fork suspension! You'll be AMAZED!

ps. most of the guys I know have at least one $3-5,000 bike, and whenever I pull up to the shop on my little C'dale, everyone smiles and wants to take it for a spin! It's a really cool little bike now that it has a worthy shock!!

Favorite Trail:   rocky ones

Purchased At:   Monk-a-moo

Bike Setup:   C'dale '98 CAAD2, 'zocci MX Pro ETA, SRAM X9 drive train / cassette, Avid BB discs w/SD7 levers, Cane Creek Thudbuster, WTB Laser Ti saddle, Real disc hubs, Salsa 80mm stem, IRC ElGato 2.25 tires (yes, from 99 - found brand new), black mid-grade Mavic hoops... Bead-blasted paint off so it's shiny polished aluminum.

Submitted by Carlos a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2004

Strengths:    This headset solves a long standing incompatibility problem between Cannondale frames and real forks.

Weaknesses:    None, but wish it was available many years ago.

Bottom Line:
I have had my CAAD2 frame since '97 and have upgraded everything all the way, except for the Fatty 70mm SL POS Headshock. When I learned of this product, I had to try it, and am extremely pleased with the results. I hammered the Headshok out and installed a real fork with the Cane Creek Headset. The result was spectacular performance. Absolutely no rattles, smooth operation, great looks. Also, because the headset comes with spacers, I did not have to cut the steerer tube, and can swap forks between my other bikes.

Favorite Trail:   All