Cane Creek AheadSet Headset

3.72/5 (39 Reviews)

Cane Creek Aheadset

Submitted by kevinromig a Cross Country Rider from fountain valley

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2009

Strengths:    Works fine for a month or two if your broke.

Weaknesses:    Horrible seals. Bearings rusted after a little over a month causing turning to be very rough and annoyingly squeaky

Bottom Line:
dont waste your money unless you need something less than $30 and like spending more money in a couple months

Favorite Trail:   anything close to my house

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   cane creek s-3

Bike Setup:   hard tail xc bike

Submitted by willem3 a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Total Garbage. I am used to Chris King Headsets. This was included on my Jamis Exile 29er Singlespeed. The headset is loose and difficult to work with. Quality is substandard. You get what you pay for!!!

Bottom Line:
Changing this headset this week for a Chris King.

Favorite Trail:   North Fork

Purchased At:   SageBrush Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Chris King

Bike Setup:   Jamis Exile 29er Singlespeed

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Orange

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Strengths:    very smooth, looks expensive

Weaknesses:    comes loose every once in a while, seals dont work as well as expected

Bottom Line:
i love this headset. i bought it because it was cheap and the guy at the shop said it was a decent headset. it runs very smooth and i havent had any serious issues. it comes loose about once every couple months- not much but the fork wiggles a bit when not moving, but i bomb the trails pretty hard to. rode in [light] rain a few times and had to clean out the crap and re-grease the bearings each time. perfect for a newbie looking for a cheap, but reliable headset, an doesnt rip up the trails a lot.

5 chilis because it was inexpensive
4 chilis for working 90% of the time

Purchased At:   Local shop

Similar Products Used:   nothin else tested

Bike Setup:   07 Spec epic, rock shox reba world cup, complete LX drivetrain with hydro brakes, Mavic X223 wheelset w/ IRC mibro treads

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    None really

Weaknesses:    Thsi headset was stock on my 2004 Trek Liquid 10. It developed problems with the first two months. On close inspection it appears that the top of the upper cup is uneven. In order to properly adjust the headset and remove play it has to be very tight. Which totally negates handling. Despite regular maintenance the lower race and bearing corroded within the first 6 months.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't purchase another Aheadset and this has turned me off of Cane Creek products altogether. For the money an FSA Orbit is a far better headset.

Favorite Trail:   Skull

Purchased At:   Cyclepathy, Kingston, Ontario

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Real Seal. WTB Grease Guard, FSA Orbit, FSA Pig DH

Bike Setup:   2004 Trek Liquid 10, Marzocchi AM 2 fork.

Submitted by Tyler a Downhiller from Edmonton, Alberta

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    cheap, ok for beginners

Weaknesses:    its very weak when u start to hit bigger jumps. mine broke internally, i got a new one and it ended up cracking at the bottom, so i got an fsa headset (much better).

Bottom Line:
good for people just starting to ride. gets really weak and loose, easy to break, get a better headset once this one breaks on your bike.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   fsa (good)

Bike Setup:   upgraded 2005 norco bigfoot.

Submitted by Stefan Andersson a Weekend Warrior from Sweden

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    It might work if it is correctly assembled.

Weaknesses:    Came with bike. Ran with neopren head set covers from start and cleaned carefully.
The lower race was corroded after a few months and was totally destroyed.
Looking at the maintenance picture I saw that the lower protecting ring was missing from the start...no wonder that the lower race was messed up.
The Swedish Trek agent didn't honor the warranty and told me that it was wrongly adjusted. A real bummer since I work professionally with automotive wheel bearings and can tell the obvious difference between corrosion and adjustment damages.
I swapped for a Chris King instead...no worries.

Bottom Line:
Even if the lower ring were in place I have serious dubts if this is durable since it is lacking proper rubber seals. Go for a head set with sealed industrial bearings...and forget about it.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Evans cycles UK

Similar Products Used:   Chris King

Bike Setup:   Trek Liquid 20 MY03

Submitted by Alexander Young a Weekend Warrior from Ann Arbor

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Strengths:    Sealed bearings, comes with a bottom seal and looks kinda sweet.

Weaknesses:    Umm, I don't know, I like it.

Bottom Line:
Nice headset seems to be working well. I have no problems with it so far.n Lotsa chillis.

Favorite Trail:   Marshall Park

Purchased At:   Friend gave it to me, but bought it at Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek something er other.

Bike Setup:   Sette Reken Frame, Sette seatpost, ti-race seat, Avid SD 7 brakes and grippers, Race Face crank and BB, shimano deore disc hubs and Judy DH fork. Eggbeater pedals. Avid x7 derailleures and avid x0 shifters.

Submitted by Colin Clayden a Downhiller from Fredericton New Brunswick Canada

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2005

Strengths:    Never had a problem with it, smooth...

Weaknesses:    never experienced any yet...

Bottom Line:
Great headset works very well always smooth!!!

5 FLAMMIN' CHILLI'S

Favorite Trail:   o'dell xpert trail

Purchased At:   Came stock on my Haro

Bike Setup:   Haro escape 8.1 with maxxis highroller 2.5's

Submitted by 47mphman a Cross Country Rider from Chester

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap, but not very cheerful! Came factory-fitted on TREK 8500

Weaknesses:    Haven't got out much this Winter, but in 5 rides of mud, followed by wash-down, the bearings had rusted to buggery and siezed. The Bike Factory tried to be helpful and replaced bearings with loose ones, but still rough as hell.

Bottom Line:
As far as I'm concerned a headset should be fit and forget. Its you tyres, rims and pedals that normally take the hammer. TREK should fit better gear to their dogs bollocks hard-tail. Advice - if you fit one, pack it with good old-fashioned grease to prevent it rusting up.

Favorite Trail:   Marin - Wales

Purchased At:   The Bike Factory

Similar Products Used:   Used FSA Orbit in the past - dead easy to fit. Have ordered Raceface Thermo SP this time, so will let you know

Bike Setup:   TREK 8500 - dead light, Fox Float RL80 - plush, XTR drive - smooth, with Bontrager everything else - for now!!

Submitted by Nate a Weekend Warrior from Jax, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    FOUR DOLLARS. Cheapest anywhere. No Bearing race to install on steer tube, just slide the lower half of cup on the tube.

Weaknesses:    It has a LARGE gap on the lower headset. It's like there are no seals to keep the dirt out on the lower cup! Just cup, bearings, bottom cup. Umm....where are the seals?

Bottom Line:
It's the original headset. You can bet Cane Creek is never gonna go out of business as they own the patent!!!!! Value was outstanding in my case, a $4 name brand headset...looks like it MIGHT take a beating if there was no dirt in sight....

Purchased At:   eDiscountbikes.com

Bike Setup:   Marz 7in Jr. T, Double Wide Front w/Intense FRO 2.7in tire, D321 rear with Intense 2.5in tire, Both on Hope Big-Un hubs with Hope DH4 brakes.....

Submitted by Bert a Weekend Warrior from Alkmaar, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to install/adjust

Weaknesses:    After 9 months of operation and some 900 km´s all cups, bearings and other parts were completely worn

Bottom Line:
Unfortunately I can not agree with th eaverage rating on this headset as it is clear that in my situation it did not do were it designed for.

Favorite Trail:   Schoorl

Similar Products Used:   Diatech Diatech as replacement, no experience yet

Bike Setup:   hardtail, Manitou Magnum R, Deore LX

Submitted by Elvis a Cross Country Rider from Land of 4 Headwinds

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2000

Strengths:    Compartively inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Failed

Bottom Line:
The Cane Creek SL5 (yeah on my Road Bike) came speced on the bike. Right from the start there was always too much gap at the top when the headset was adjusted properly. \\
The head set seemed to need constant adjusting. I have never had a problem like this with a headset before.
I had planned on replacing it because I just could not get it to set properly or trouble free when it developed a notch. It is now basically useless which gets it a one chile for value. It gets 2 chilis overall because it isn't the worst piece of crap out there.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, Race Face, Mavic, Dura Ace, XTR

Bike Setup:   Really Cool

Submitted by Trey a Racer from Valrico

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Strengths:    Weight
Customer Service
Smooth
Looks cool
Good Design

Bottom Line:
I inherited an S-5 headset as part of a bike I bought second hand. All the bearings in the bike needed to be rebuilt due to neglect and rough riding. Through doing this I noticed that the bottom sealed ball bearing cartridge had gotten contaminated. No big deal, just need to rebuild it. When I started looking into it, I realized the bearing was pressed into the cups. Not exactly sure how to get into it, I e-mailed Cane Creek for instructions on how to get to it. They responded with detailed instructions within 24 hrs. They also said to give them a call to talk about a replacement. The guy I talked to absolutely insisted on sending out a replacement even though I assured him that I thought that I could just rebuild it myself. He insisted and sent me out a new bottom assembly that I recieved inside of a week.

This is by far the best example of customer service I have ever seen in the bike industry. Most companies are so cocky about their stuff being "bombproof" that you must have abused the product for it to break. Cane Creek was timely, courteous and helpful regarding a product that I still am not sure was defective. That said, I am a Cane Creek devotee for life. I will buy CC stuff as long as they are pumping it out. I've got a set of Wam Chronos that are great and will buy another set if I can wear these out. I even bought one of the cool pint glasses off of their website as a result of the service.

Keep it up Cane Creek. Not only does your product rock. You stand behind it.

Favorite Trail:   tsali

Purchased At:   Inherited with bike

Similar Products Used:   Tioga
FSA

Bike Setup:   Trek 9900 pro issue

Submitted by Ross a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2000

Strengths:    smooth operation, nice anodizing and graphics, good bearings

Weaknesses:    adjustability

Bottom Line:
This review is for the S5 model, not the cheaper C model. I have used this headset for nearly two years now and have only had a couple of nagging problems, some of which appear to be fixed. I appeared to squeak a bit, but I realized it was the stem makin the noise. I recently installed a dual-crown fork on my bike, and, along with a Salsa stem cap, the problems with adjustability have gone away as well. This is a good product overall and I have not had to rebuild it yet, even after all the abuse it goes through.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Dia Comp Aheadset

Bike Setup:   Specialized HT, RockShox SID XL, XT drivetrain, Kore Elite stem, Easton Scandium DH bar, Syncros post, Salsa skewers, Mavic X517/XT wheels, Tioga Factory DH 2.1s

Submitted by Duane a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, NY USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Strengths:    durable, it doesn't call attention to itself, therefore it's doing it's job. Plus, it wasn't that expensive. It turns smooth. It holds the bike steady, I can take my hands off the handlebars without worrying about my bike going out of control. I haven't had a problem with debris, dirt, or water getting into the head tube.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
After reading all of the horrible reviews about the FSA and the conix problems, I decided that I wanted a hassle-free headset. Cane Creek has done the job.

Favorite Trail:   still looking