Cane Creek AheadSet SAS Headset

3.1/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 115 grams MSRP : $40.00

aluminum cups, steel adjusting race

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Grande Cache, AB

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Non-functioning seals
Loose fitting crown race

Bottom Line:
I have a '97 vintage Aheadset on a TREK Y-bike that is still going strong, so I thought this unit was a steal at $9.98 for my new Ventana frame. Wrong. First problem was the crown race fit was too loose - it slipped into place with finger pressure. Luckily, I had a spare unused race from another Aheadset that fit properly. Second, the seal on the bottom cup doesn't work at all - even with a Lizard Skin cover to help, the bearings contaminate at the slighest hint of water and/or mud. After 4 months use, this headset is shot. False economy.

I replaced the SAS with a Cane Creek S-2. I should have spent the extra $20 up front for an S-2 and would have been riding, instead of tearing apart and replacing the SAS.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   FSA Orbit, Aheadset SX

Bike Setup:   Ventana Pantera

Submitted by Jim S a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2000

Strengths:    price
does its job
reliable

Weaknesses:    could use a better seal on the bottom bearing

Bottom Line:
I reviewed this product when I first got is a year ago and I've serviced it twice since then (once about every 6 month). Its gotten some great mileage in the wet and muddy U.S. Pacific Northwest and each time I serviced it the amount of dirt that got inside was minimal. The bottom bearing could use a better seal because it tend to get dirtier and appear to loose some of the grease, not enough to cause a problem though. I'm sure a sealed bearing unit is smoother and easier to service but for the money this headset is right on. I'd rather spend my spare cash on good wheels, derailleurs, and shoes.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain

Similar Products Used:   always used ball bearing

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar, Manitou SX

Submitted by Steve a Cross-Country Rider from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2000

Weaknesses:
Bottom Seal (or lack thereof)

Bottom Line:
I do not recommend this headset. Most of my riding is in the rain and mud and this headset needs to be regreased all the time. The top bearings stay lubed, but the bottoms get dirty fast.

6 months

Brodie, Judy xc

Submitted by Adam a Cross-Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1999

Strengths:
price

Weaknesses:
price

Bottom Line:
If you want a cheap HS that will do a fine job, then this one is for you. If you want a great HS then spend more money. You get what you pay for when it comes to precision equipment. Not Bad, Not great feels like a toy - 3 hots

9.8 M ps

1 Year

SC Heckler Man SX-E

Submitted by Ralston Boy a Racer from Michigan

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap

Weaknesses:
Cheap, same problem as other people. Bottom outer seals have a big gap between them allowing dirt and water to get inside.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for the cheapest around get it. But if you want something that will last more than a couple of rides and not give you any problems get something else ( CHRIS KING !)

State Hospital

1 Year

older model

Klein Attitude Race

Submitted by Jim a cross-country rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

This is a really good headset, especially considering how inexpensive it is. At first I was suspicious of the rubberlike upper cap and resin compression cap because my previous headset had all metal parts. But after using this headset I am suspicious no longer. Its smooth and light. I haven't had it long enough to judge how well it keeps out muck and keeps the good grease in but its seems to be sealed well enough to perform to the standards of a rider who likes riding alot but doesn't race for a cash purse. Maybe someday though...

Submitted by Kyle a weekend warrior from Burlinton ontario canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

As far as I can tell this headset is great. I have very crappy shocks and this head set has managed to endure all the crashes and bottoming out that I have managed to do. Not to mention a demonic head on collision with a ashphault pathway.Apparently this is also a good head set for fork compatability!

Submitted by jon a racer from nc

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

this a very nice headset not to expensive and much better than a lowsy chris king! i now that is mor secure than other headsets. i dont just like this aheadset all of them are good. aheadsets totaly rule to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!|\
wow ha ha ah we are ha i hate this 50 words or more rule

Submitted by kevan a cross-country rider from LA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bottom bearings were never very well sealed with big gap, let in grit, had to clean every few rides, esp. on wet, sandy soil. Creaked, and could never get tight. Top rubber seal cracked, then failed at 6 months. Bottom retainer bearing ring failed at 6 months, replaced with loose balls. An OK headset for the casual rider but just doesn't hold up, going with Chris King TODAY! Would have been a two star but can't believe only other reviewer gave it a 5 star!

Submitted by Viegme Vernahort a racer from Haiti

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1997

Bottom Line:

I had a Chris King headset and found it to be weak and unstable, so I switched to SAS it is AWESOME! It is the best headset I have ever rode. In my country we praise this headset like the goats head on a friday night worship.