Cane Creek AheadSet AL Headset

2.64/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : 111 grams MSRP : $45.00

aluminum cups, top bearing cover

Submitted by Jake Pantone a Racer from Huntsville, Ut, USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Strengths:    Light, but otherwise none

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
This is very light, but the seal basically arn't seals and prove it by not trying to be seals. On a recent three hour ride I had to tighten the HS like 3 times, and yes the stem was on freaking tight. So do yourself a favor and replace it if it comes on your bike with a chris king.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Similar Products Used:   Never used such a big piece of S#%@. Except for the WTB GRease Gaurd

Bike Setup:   Full 03 XTR Kona King Kikapu

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2001

Strengths:    Price, Product support, works

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I bought this to replace my old Dia-Compe which had lasted three years with no maintenance on my old bike. This headset now adorns my new bike, and hopefully will last as long as my old headset. Live in a dry climate with very little chance of it getting muddy or wet. I bought a Cane Creek shock that they custom valved for my old FS, and there customer support was awesome, so they got my business from now on.

Favorite Trail:   Signal Peak Race Course

Purchased At:   Gila Hike & Bike

Similar Products Used:   Dia-Compe

Bike Setup:   da Vinci Designs FS, Icon, Dean, Ame', Sram, Cane Creek, IRD, Delta, DT Hugi, Avid, IRC, Inmotion, Action-Tec, Race Face

Submitted by Donovan a Cross Country Rider from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Strengths:    Has some cone shaped plastic washers to keep grime out of bearings, at least that what I think the intention was.

Weaknesses:    High wear or high maintainance, depending on if the owner is too lazy to repack bearings every few months.

Bottom Line:
I was shocked to find an unsealed headset on my $2000 bike! I guess Trek has to make money somewhere. I only noticed because it started to creak after about three months of use. I removed the bearing races, cleaned with Simple Green, rinsed and repacked with white lithium grease. Problem was corrected in 15-20 minutes...

Now speaking as an old timer to this pastime, I can remember when you had to repack bearings on the headset and the bottom bracket. If you didn't, you have to replace bearings or races. And yes, if you ape handle the races, you'll drop bearings all over the ^&*% floor.

If you object to doing some routine maintainance on your ride, I'd suggest going with a sealed headset, although I can't see spending more than $40 on one, since the FSA's are just about as light as the Chris Kings, it's not worth $100 for some laser etched name to me.

I'll probably see how long these will hold up, and replace with a sealed set eventually, leaving myself more time to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Paris Mtn- Brissy Ridge

Purchased At:   LBS- Stock on Trek Fuel 98

Similar Products Used:   many, many old school headsets, and a couple sealed, WTB & FSA

Bike Setup:   Fuel 98

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Victorville, CA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Has creaked since the first day I got my bike dirty.

Bottom Line:
It came stock on my Trek 8000SL. I asked Trek, and they said it was dirt getting in between the bars and neck. I replaced both, and the problem still exists. I have come to the conclusion that it's the headset. It won't creak on the road, but once I get it in the dirt, it sounds like the bearings are grinding together. It's so loud that the other riders comment on it. I am not impressed. It looks like Chris King is the way to go.

Purchased At:   Stock on Traek 8000SL

Submitted by norton a Cross Country Rider from nor cal redwoods

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2000

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    will not stay tight. constantly comes loose and will not adjust. it came with the build kit for my son's bike. i had hoped that it would last a little longer before i upgraded the headset, but unfortunatly it did not. i should have known better than to try and save a little money, so it serves me right.

Bottom Line:
i have a race face real seal on order and i hope that this will do the trick.

Favorite Trail:   rough go

Similar Products Used:   chris king

Bike Setup:   superlight with lx/xt, judy sl, fox rear.

Submitted by Alacritter a Cross Country Rider from Alabamy

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2000

Strengths:    cheap & light, parts available at most shops

Weaknesses:    It's not sealed

Bottom Line:
I've been through so many of these things that I've lost count. They last me about 6 mo.-1 yr. before they get so trashed from grit that I replace the headset. I clean them out & regrease occasionally, but that doesn't stop the headset from rapidly wearing to the point that the two halves of the cups end up rubbing each other. If I'd just bought a King to begin with, I'd have easily gotten my money's worth out of it by now. Right now I'm taking a break from chasing *&^%# loose balls all over my floor so that I can tell my fellow cyclists to spare yourself from this product. I'll give them a little credit for being cheap and available, but I've learned my lesson.

Purchased At:   various mailorder houses & lbses

Similar Products Used:   couple of Tange threaded, Ritchey Threaded, Aheadset ALC

Bike Setup:   XC hardtails

Submitted by Phil a Weekend Warrior from Montreal

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2000

Strengths:    cheap, bearings

Weaknesses:    the seals sucks a**, they let in mud and water and dust. i rode in the mud once with it and i could hear the crap inside of it alreafy. it's loose and the seals aren't even supposed to be tight on it it's made to be slack.

Bottom Line:
don't get it unless you plan to stay on the dry road and even then. dirt gets inside it really easily. but you get what you pay for

Bike Setup:   lx

Submitted by Jim Wheeler a Cross Country Rider from Cupertino CA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2000

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Seals, too much maintenance

Bottom Line:
The Aheadset is a good headset for the money, but the unit needs to be cleaned on a regular basis and re-greased. If you do not do that the seals let in too much grit and you will have to replace it after a while. My knock would be for the amount maintenance it requires under adverse conditions. Otherwise it is a good product.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, Diacomp, Richy Logic

Bike Setup:   M2 Comp Pro. XT, Paul Breaks, Judy's, Mavic Cross Links

Submitted by Bobby Filar a Cross-Country Rider from Athens, OH

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1999

Strengths:
Cost
durability
good handling

Weaknesses:
nothing yet

Bottom Line:
Good product for the money

Monday Creek

less than 1 month

threaded stem

800 Trek Spyder shocks

Submitted by peter sellers a cross-country rider from wales

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

Its truly amazing that this light and cheap headset has got so few reviews!It the best money can by for relialbe servicable all year round replacable parts componentry. it slick as a king its four times cheaper, it wont attract thieves and label scum bags. Im sitting here with a big smile thinking about all you suckers that either paid out big bucks for some over priced cartidge thing and those lucky people that Have got that head set that cost maybe £10 lessbut needs to be serviced five times a year and replaced once a year cos it feel so shitty after a while.Happy cheap time to be had at the hand of this thing. oh yes

Submitted by Sean from california

Date Reviewed: December 24, 1997

Bottom Line:

my friend put an ahead al on his bmx racer and we slaughtered that thing in a week . the cups were cracked after an hour of some mid size sections . its pretty light . but duribility just plain sucks . i dont ride a king or nothing . i figure my sx1 aheadset is the best thing on earth . you all out mtbers are spoiled. and bent on maitenance.just dont buy this headset. go buy an se1 and a metal cap and your set.if the cup breaks buy a dcup. you know just a few years ago everyone had a threaded 5 dollar headsets. all the sealed ones are gimmicks .